Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Duxford airshow September 8-9.

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.
garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Duxford airshow September 8-9.

Post by garyscott » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Just after a bit of info if i may.
Im going to this show, can only afford the one this year so chose Duxford as i have never been (!).
My question is, having bought the ticket, will admission to the museum be extra, or is it included? I really am interested in mooching around the American museum and the restoration hangars, if open.
If any fellow FC'ers have been and know, i would appreciate your input.
I will be happy enough with the airshow alone, but if i can get into the museum on the entry ticket, that would be one hell of a bonus for me.

Thanks for reading.

Gary.

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford airshow September 8-9.

Post by Pen Pusher » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Museum access is included in the Airshow ticket. Hope you enjoy.
Confirmed flying participation includes (on Wednesday 18 April):

Royal Air Force Red Arrows, RAF Scampton (on Sunday 9 September only)
Hawk, 208 Squadron RAF Valley (on Saturday 8 September only)
Tornado GR4 Pairs Demo, 15R Squadron RAF Lossiemouth
Tucano, CFS Flight RAF Linton-on-Ouse
Dakota, Battle of Britain Memorial Flight RAF Coningsby
Spitfire IX, Royal Netherlands Air Force
Spitfire V, Historic Aircraft Collection
Hurricane, Historic Aircraft Collection
B-17 Flying Fortress Sally B, B-17 Preservation
Curtiss Hawk 75, The Fighter Collection
Grumman Bearcat, The Fighter Collection
P-47 Thunderbolt, The Fighter Collection
Brian

garyscott

Post by garyscott » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for the reply Brian mate, im wearing a big grin now! :thumb:

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:53 pm

GARYSCOTT Never been? You don't know what you are missing. Like Penpusher, I am a regular visitor over many years. However foul the weather, I can assure you that you cannot fail to enjoy it, and I trust it is the first of many visits for you. Having 'Airshowed' in many parts of the world over many years, I just stick with Duxford these days. A truly unique museum, and don't miss Flying Legends next year!!!!. Regards, John.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:00 pm

Was horrified when I saw that wind farm at the M11 end! :O When did that lot sprout up? Hope it's not the kiss of death? :@
Appologies for the tangent.

MarkL

Flying Warden

Post by Flying Warden » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:26 pm

roughcutter wrote:Was horrified when I saw that wind farm at the M11 end! :O When did that lot sprout up? Hope it's not the kiss of death? :@

MarkL
Didn't notice it. Mind you I wasn't looking for them.
Fly low, Fly fast, watch out for speed cameras.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:49 pm

roughcutter wrote:Was horrified when I saw that wind farm at the M11 end! :O When did that lot sprout up? Hope it's not the kiss of death? :@

MarkL
Sprung up in the last few months. That one is a bit to far away to have an effect on Duxford but there were plans at one time to build a wind farm at Heydon Farm which is just under 3 mile to the west of Duxford. Now that would severely cramp flying at Duxford.

From the Stop Hayden Wind farm web site:
Wind turbines degrade the effectiveness of aircraft radar and being located 2.7 miles (4.4km) from Duxford Imperial War Museum airfield, 10.5 miles (17km) from Cambridge airport and 12.9 miles (20.7km) from Stansted airport, the wind power plant could pose a threat to the safety of aircraft flying to and from these sites.

The Government's Planning Policy Statement 22 (PPS22) is very clear that any aviation issues have to be satisfactorily addressed by the wind power plant applicant before submitting a planning application. We understand that Duxford Imperial War Museum has significant problems with this application and as an important asset for the region any adverse impacts on its operation, particularly on its Open Days would be unacceptable.
stopheydonwindfarm.com

Brian

garyscott

Post by garyscott » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:18 pm

jem60 wrote:GARYSCOTT Never been? You don't know what you are missing. Like Penpusher, I am a regular visitor over many years. However foul the weather, I can assure you that you cannot fail to enjoy it, and I trust it is the first of many visits for you. Having 'Airshowed' in many parts of the world over many years, I just stick with Duxford these days. A truly unique museum, and don't miss Flying Legends next year!!!!. Regards, John.
I know, defies explanation! Never set foot there!
Ive a feeling it is one i shall make my regular show instead of RIAT, too expensive now, i want a place with character, and the museum will be icing on a fantastic cake for me i feel.
Duxford being steeped in history is an attraction for me too. Fingers crossed i may cross paths with an FC'er there. Either way, im looking forward to it greatly.
Planning to leave somerset somewhere around 3 - 4am so as to get there early, i wish to maximise my time in the museum areas before flying commences. As long as i can locate a bacon butty for breakfast and a steaming cup of tea, ill be the happiest person there! :D

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:45 pm

As long as i can locate a bacon butty for breakfast and a steaming cup of tea, ill be the happiest person there!
Outside Hangar 2 the Fighter Collection Hangar or between Hangar 5 and the American Air Museum. :D

Lots of food stalls at those locations.

Brian

Return to “Duxford Shows”