Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Duxford

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.
Pune

Duxford

Post by Pune » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:09 am

I hope this is the correct area to ask this?
Any info' on the American Air day at Duxford in August, anyone who has attended peviously got any salient points, is it a worthwhile day as we would be travelling a fair way.
Is there much flying, I am guessing not too much, but really any good information much appreciated.
Cheers
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Pen Pusher

Re: Duxford

Post by Pen Pusher » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:57 am

A report I did for my blog of the AAD last year American Air Day 2010

It depends what you are after if it's a worth visit or not. There is some flying but it's not an air display. The various squadrons from Lakenheath and Mildenhall set up a variety of stalls as well selling squadron badges/T-shirts etc if that is what you are after and there is some American ground kit/trucks/hardware there.

Brian

pikey01

Post by pikey01 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:53 pm

And a report some other bloke did here http://www.aeroresource.co.uk/articles/ ... f_duxford/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol: As Brian has said, its not an Airshow, its a community day with air demo elements. That said, its still one of my favourtite shows to visit in the UK. 2009 and 2010 pretty much followed the same routine:

MC130 para drop, MC parks up
HH60 SAR demo, HH60 parks up. (both get opened to the public)
F15 "airfield attack"
KC135 flypast
f15 x 4 flypast
Kc135 and f15's pass
Mustang
Cub
Sabre
Sally B
MC130 and HH60 depart, join up for a refuelling pass (MC has the hoses out)

As also mentioned, all the USAFE Squadrons have stalls selling merchandise. If you go expecting a Non stop flying display you will be disappointed, but if you go, take time to chat to the crews, look round the MC and HH60, American car line up, Bird of prey demo (working birds from Lakenheath) etc etc its a great day out.

Pune

Post by Pune » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Thank you so much for the info' guys, sounds like a perfect day out I reckon, think I'll be booking a day off.
Thanks again.
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

MacksAviation

Post by MacksAviation » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:44 pm

I will 3rd what Brian and Graham have said about the day some of my photos from 2009 are here:

http://www.macksaviation.com/AAD_2009.php

Pune

Post by Pune » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks for the link, looks well worthwhile, excellent images, hope for good weather now.
Cheers
Pune

pikey01

Post by pikey01 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:24 pm

Providing I can get a lift sorted, will probably see you there then :thumb:

Pune

Post by Pune » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:39 pm

I'll be there hopefully.

davedubya

Post by davedubya » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:30 pm

It was a good day there today.

Flying included:
2 x F15E
KC135
2x F15C
MC-130 (did a "combat landing", then went on static for people to get onboard)
2 x F15E

There were also displays from:
Spitfire
Catalina
2x Harvards
Sabre - this was great

It kinda had the feel of the open days that the US crews at Wethersfield used to do.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:53 pm

It was a good day.
Did anyone else watch the K9 Demo? Ouch! We spoke to one of the dog handlers after the display & he said that he spent most of his time in the medical centre at LN & that he had his arm broken 3 times by the dogs while doing dog training :O .

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Return to “Duxford Shows”