Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.
Bogus68
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:16 pm

IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Bogus68 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:51 pm

Press release from Cambridge news 25/8
States that the flying legends will be axed for good due to budgetary constraints. :( .
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/c ... d-18823555
Last edited by Bogus68 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

red leader
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:24 pm

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by red leader » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:12 am

Very sad. A big show with some great line ups over the years. What a shock!!
This is very bad news.

User avatar
paddyboy
Posts: 20519
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:32 pm
Location: Somewhere in Norfolk

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by paddyboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:01 am

Some of the very best displays I have ever attended :'(

Sad news indeed :'(
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife


Image
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

cj9ru
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:29 am
Location: Tayport, Fife
Contact:

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by cj9ru » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:22 am

Oh no! That is a grim piece of news. Love Flying Legends at Duxford. Partly because it is at Duxford and there is so much to do if weather bad. It is worth the big journey down.

I am afraid this pandemic will continue to throw up a lot of things we have not considered.

Quite upset about that...

Hey ho, I suppose given other events ....

Chris

Vulcanone
Posts: 3132
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:56 am

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Vulcanone » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:55 am

It isn't being axed completely. The consensus suggests TFC is effectively looking to relocate it.


We shall see...

raptor9
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:52 am

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by raptor9 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:40 am

Amongst the obvious disappointment that this news brings, it is,perhaps, worth mentioning. and appreciating, the huge amount of effort and money that the Grey family have given to entertain us over many years, in creating a show the equal of what the U.S. has to offer. It was always a pleasure to attend this show [with two tragic exemptions] and a very large vote of thanks is deserved for all the Fighter Collection staff, engineers, Ms J. Larcombe in particular, for the wonderful times. Best wishes and thank you to all, and I hope you can continue at another venue.

Sparts99
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm
Location: London/Kent

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:51 am

"The event will now look for another venue for future air shows." Biggin Hill, Kemble, any other suggestions?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Agent K
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 am
Location: Nearby RAF Henlow, Bedfordshire

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Agent K » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:50 am

Sparts99 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:51 am
"The event will now look for another venue for future air shows." Biggin Hill, Kemble, any other suggestions?
France

TIC TAC
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:59 am
Location: CROOK,COUNTY DURHAM

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by TIC TAC » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:55 am

Sparts99 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:51 am
"The event will now look for another venue for future air shows." Biggin Hill, Kemble, any other suggestions?
DURHAM/TEESIDE

Agent K
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 am
Location: Nearby RAF Henlow, Bedfordshire

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Agent K » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:04 am

TIC TAC wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:55 am
Sparts99 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:51 am
"The event will now look for another venue for future air shows." Biggin Hill, Kemble, any other suggestions?
DURHAM/TEESIDE
If the question was asking for a wish list then any airport worldwide would be added here, but before this turns into a huge list and if the question was enquiring where in reality it might be held moving forward then my money would be placed on France.

baz1
Posts: 4621
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 am
Location: lincoln between scampton and waddington

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by baz1 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:10 am

TIC TAC wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:55 am
Sparts99 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:51 am
"The event will now look for another venue for future air shows." Biggin Hill, Kemble, any other suggestions?
DURHAM/TEESIDE
Scampton??

ArabJazzie
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:11 am

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:32 am

Just another example of an organization using Covid as a cover to get something done they have wanted to do for some time. In this case, as we have to pay to attend Legends, has it been run at a deficit?

Agent K
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 am
Location: Nearby RAF Henlow, Bedfordshire

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Agent K » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am

ArabJazzie wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:32 am
Just another example of an organization using Covid as a cover to get something done they have wanted to do for some time. In this case, as we have to pay to attend Legends, has it been run at a deficit?
I'm not sure it's something they've "wanted to do" for some time, that's a bit unfair. Do you know, for example, how FL is organised with IWM?

Unlike other airshows at IWM Duxford Legends has always been run differently, in that TFC has "rented" the airfield from IWM for the duration, so all monies have gone to TFC who have paid IWM for the use of the airfield to. The other two Duxford airshows each year are run by IWM.

I can only imagine the issue here is the price IWM wanted for use of the airfield opposed to what TFC were prepared to pay.

Sparts99
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm
Location: London/Kent

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:10 pm

"I can only imagine the issue here is the price IWM wanted for use of the airfield opposed to what TFC were prepared to pay." That makes sense. Even next year public events will be run differently and more expensively, increased costs with fewer tickets to sell will affect viability.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Sparts99
Posts: 2388
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:02 pm
Location: London/Kent

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:16 pm

My question above was asking for genuine locations, not a wish list. I was wondering where it could be moved to that had capacity, airspace and transport links. Biggin would be my ideal as it's my local, but there's now consdierable biz jet activity there, and a fair few nimbys locally with big voices so a bigger event instead of or as well as the Festival of Flight is pretty unlikely. Kemble has the space and reasonable transport links, a train route from central London nearby but I don't know what happens there day to day commercially.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

SpilsbyPete
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:04 pm
Location: Have a guess!

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by SpilsbyPete » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:28 pm

Am I the only one that can see what is going to happen next

1) Build that Hotel
2) Build the new Housing Estate
3) Expand the Wind Farm
4) Cancel the 2 other Airshows

We end up with a Museum with a few flyers

BTW,More Flying Legends to France

ArabJazzie
Posts: 1556
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:11 am

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:59 pm

Agent K wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am
ArabJazzie wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:32 am
Just another example of an organization using Covid as a cover to get something done they have wanted to do for some time. In this case, as we have to pay to attend Legends, has it been run at a deficit?
I'm not sure it's something they've "wanted to do" for some time, that's a bit unfair. Do you know, for example, how FL is organised with IWM?

Unlike other airshows at IWM Duxford Legends has always been run differently, in that TFC has "rented" the airfield from IWM for the duration, so all monies have gone to TFC who have paid IWM for the use of the airfield to. The other two Duxford airshows each year are run by IWM.

I can only imagine the issue here is the price IWM wanted for use of the airfield opposed to what TFC were prepared to pay.
I wasnt 100% sure how the 3 airshows were run, but i think you have just proved my point. However, might there be a positive angle to this where a new format will be delivered by the IWM? With their own shows, IWM will know exactly what they can make out of delivering airshows and maybe want all the pie instead of a slice?

But then again.....
SpilsbyPete wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:28 pm
Am I the only one that can see what is going to happen next

1) Build that Hotel
2) Build the new Housing Estate
3) Expand the Wind Farm
4) Cancel the 2 other Airshows

We end up with a Museum with a few flyers

BTW,More Flying Legends to France

User avatar
roughcutter
Posts: 1658
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: Widnes, Cheshire

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by roughcutter » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:22 pm

If at all feasible, it would be interesting to stage "Legends" at a different venue each year. A bit like a flying circus (no pun please), for example Sywell one year, the following year Kemble, the following year Elvingdon & so on... I appreciate that there's a lot to organising a show , it's not simply a case of a load of warbirds turning ups somewhere :)
... and a fair haired slightly balding Bobby Charlton to kick off!

Agent K
Posts: 1014
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:50 am
Location: Nearby RAF Henlow, Bedfordshire

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by Agent K » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:09 pm

ArabJazzie wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:59 pm
Agent K wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:50 am
ArabJazzie wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:32 am
Just another example of an organization using Covid as a cover to get something done they have wanted to do for some time. In this case, as we have to pay to attend Legends, has it been run at a deficit?
I'm not sure it's something they've "wanted to do" for some time, that's a bit unfair. Do you know, for example, how FL is organised with IWM?

Unlike other airshows at IWM Duxford Legends has always been run differently, in that TFC has "rented" the airfield from IWM for the duration, so all monies have gone to TFC who have paid IWM for the use of the airfield to. The other two Duxford airshows each year are run by IWM.

I can only imagine the issue here is the price IWM wanted for use of the airfield opposed to what TFC were prepared to pay.
I wasnt 100% sure how the 3 airshows were run, but i think you have just proved my point. However, might there be a positive angle to this where a new format will be delivered by the IWM? With their own shows, IWM will know exactly what they can make out of delivering airshows and maybe want all the pie instead of a slice?

But then again.....
SpilsbyPete wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:28 pm
Am I the only one that can see what is going to happen next

1) Build that Hotel
2) Build the new Housing Estate
3) Expand the Wind Farm
4) Cancel the 2 other Airshows

We end up with a Museum with a few flyers

BTW,More Flying Legends to France
Any of the above negative actions being taken will not be of IWM's doing, they have worked hard for a while to try and get the air space over and around Duxford protected, to avoid the likes of the M11 service area being built nearby. They fought to stop the larger chimney being built at the pet cemetery, for example.

The hotel would not affect flying operations or Duxford and would be a welcome income stream.

Wind farms and housing estates, well you'd need to ask Camridgeshire councils on that, this would not be Duxfordss doing or fault!

Cancel the airshows? as long as thhey are financially viable they would always remain.

ColintheCaterpillar
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: The sky

Re: IWM axes flying legends for good.

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:31 pm

Sparts99 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:51 am
"The event will now look for another venue for future air shows." Biggin Hill, Kemble, any other suggestions?
Not sure of the viability of Biggin Hill post Shoreham.

Post Reply

Return to “Duxford Shows”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest