Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Flying Legends 2017 - 8th & 9th July 2017

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.
MRTT

Re: Flying Legends 2017 - 8th & 9th July 2017

Post by MRTT » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:01 pm

You're attending a warbird show for the Red Arrows? :S

wezgulf3

Post by wezgulf3 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Usernamegoeshere wrote:so what plane or planes are people really wanting to see at Duxford ? personally the Red Arrows do it for me, the rest ive seen many times before..thats the problem with Duxford the shows seem the same year after year
And yet the Red Arrows are brand new??

Wes...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32846945@N06/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Having come back from the Saturday show, and having been at our normal spot near the Land Warfare Hall, FWIW here are my thoughts:
- a very high attendance, meaning that, arriving around 11am, we have to park in the "reopened" farmer's field across the road from the SW End = somewhat of a hike to actually get onto the site (and it was very hot, even at that time)
(before anyone comments on our arrival time, my wife's medical conditions mean that she cannot get up very early - so she comes and we get there at that time, or I get up earlier and she cannot come along!)
- limited space left by that time, so not the ideal location - and no direct access to the loos at the end of the Hall (incomprehensibly, they only opened the "Emergency" doors to the field around 15.30 - before that you had to slog up the slope to the entrance above, and then go down the stairs!).
- at that end, we could not hear the commentary most of the time because the nearest speaker was 50m away and almost inaudible, so why no speaker right at the very end of the spectator area?
- unlike previous years, no icecream van very near the Hall - and, more importantly, no accessible bar until you walked right past the American Air Museum (we both wanted a cold beer around 3pm but it was too far to walk in that heat!)
- Most importantly, as other have said it might be, the display was very much the same as previous years, but not even as "interesting" - especially since we could not hear the commentary, and that meant that we had no idea of the changes to the programme, and that included, IIRC, that the 109E (not the Buchon) would not fly (or did I miss it??), or "who" was flying "what" (the programme gave no details).
- Therefore call me a "luddite" (or something similar) but I will really have to think very, very hard before booking for next year (having reminded myself about this year!)

Snafu

Post by Snafu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:40 pm

I've just returned from my visit to Flying Legends yesterday. My views on the day are thus. I left North Lincolnshire at 5:30am, to ensure I arrived in good time and was swiftly parked up in the North Car Park for 08:15. A swift walk secured our spot on the fence line up at the M11 end.
General thoughts, based on attending Legends since 1996. The line up for the show seemed a little thin on paper, but I was looking forward to P51's, Berlin Express and Frenesi. When it came to the show I enjoyed the flying. From our vantage point we had excellent top side views as the planes powered around the Air Space museum. As previously commented on we couldn't hear the commentary at our end. For me, that's a blessing as I can't stick Bernard Chabbert's commentary. It was also the smallest Balbo I think I've ever seen, with 19 aircraft. It was a shame Berlin Express had technical issues and Frenesi didn't fly either, but hey these things happen.

Flying Legends for me is always more than just a 3 hour piston fest. I always attended with my dad and we loved our Duxford weekenders. When he passed away I couldn't face it for a few years, but now my son comes along with me and the July tradition is maintained. I love the atmosphere of the place, I love the stalls, memorabilia, the veteran's who we owe a debt to and the museums. I look forward to having my picture taken with Laurel and Hardy and listening to the Manhattan Dolls. Small line up, small Balbo, I don't really care. Yesterday I saw a formation of 9 Spitfire's and saw 5 Hurricane's in the air together. That was worth my £31.50 on its own. After 10 hours on base I drove out without queueing, was soon at our hotel and slept like a log.

I want to thank the organisers for putting on a show every year in the face of increased costs and tighter regulations. Flying Legends will always be dear to my heart for the reasons I've outlined. Judging by the number of overseas visitors near me, this event casts its magic far and wide. Roll on Flying Legends 2018. My son and I will be there following a family tradition and soaking up an event that is unique.
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high... so high, in fact, that even failure will have in it an echo of glory!"

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Snafu

Probably one of the few things with which I agree with you is about the commentary from Bernard Chabbert, but it would have been very helpful to have at least heard the British Commentator's (whomever that was?) info on the changes to the flying arrangements for the day - without those, we were left metaphorically "in the dark" about what was going on, as, sometimes, even the published running order appeared to have changed. In those circumstances, it was often a bit like watching an old film with some accompanying music at times :roll:

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Usernamegoeshere wrote:so what plane or planes are people really wanting to see at Duxford?
If you have been to Shuttleworth a couple of times this year you would probably seen most of the warbirds and others that showed up this weekend - So where are the YAKs, the Mourane Saulniers, P38's, FW190s, B-25s, and so on that we have seen in past years (surely they can't all have gone "technical" or been sold to the States)?

[quote="Usernmegoeshere"} ? personally the Red Arrows do it for me,..[/quote]
As for the Reds, very good when seen (apart from last w/e at Blackbushe as they just did a flypast at around 11am as we arrived in the carpark, but then just scarpered!), but again somewhat repetitive if seen several times a year!

tim_raper

Post by tim_raper » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:54 pm

jeallen01 wrote:but again somewhat repetitive if seen several times a year!
...and perhaps a tad complacent at the same time, flying in perfect formation 6ft apart for your pleasure, put yourself in their flying boots :thumb:

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Miss Velma has landed in a field near the M11, pilot is alright.

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:19 pm

tim_raper wrote: ...and perhaps a tad complacent at the same time, flying in perfect formation 6ft apart for your pleasure, put yourself in their flying boots :thumb:
I was talking about the displays at Legends yesterday, and not the Reds, where the multi-fighter displays were relatively straightforward tail-chases or very widely spread vics, not wing-to-wing manoeuvres.

As for the Reds in your context, they do it mainly because they love doing it (and it's probably "not a bad thing to have on a CV" career-wise).

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:44 pm

wezgulf3 wrote: And yet the Red Arrows are brand new??

Wes...
Hardly brand new - they're older than one or two of the exhibits in the museum!

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:43 am

Jeallen01. Not having the commentary at the end is a deliberate policy, stemming many years ago from a request by [in those days] many video operators who didn't want their videos affected by the commentary. Monsieur Chabbert can go on a bit, I agree, but he is part of Legends, is very knowledgeable, and owns a VERY nice aircraft! :)
I no longer attend the shows, just the three previous days [nothing new, been going for 40 years etc.,], but spent The most enjoyable 3 days amongst my friends, etc. and I do the same for all the shows there now. Lovely place. Many, many people from abroad this year.

niklas

Post by niklas » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:31 am

Back from the Show. Super satisfied!! 1200 + photos taken. Best part for me was the 109E in the air and the 9 Spitfires in formation, incredible!! Had to leave at 12PM on the sunday so i missed the Red Arrows :( but...who cares right, they have no props :-)

/Niklas

niklas

Post by niklas » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 am

Dang it :) didn't read this post untill now, well, next time! Thanks /Niklas
Droptank wrote:Hi Niklas, not sure where you'll be staying whilst visiting the UK/Duxford but since you are a "free agent"..i.e. no family with you, another great thing to fill your time in the evening would be to go to the pub!!!

Strictly as an aviation experience of course, "The Eagle" Pub, in the centre of Cambridge, opposite the University (Kings College I think) has a lot of history, related to the bomber squadrons based in East Anglia during WWII.

There are numerous paintings etc and the ceiling is adorned with messages from bomber crews that served valiantly with the USAAF during WWII.

It's a very moving place to visit, particularly as no doubt many of the aircrew who contributed to the ceiling graphics made the ultimate sacrifice.

The beer is also great and food available.

Have a look!...I was mightily impressed when I visited a few years ago.

Regards.

Droptank.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 am

NIKLAS. So glad you enjoyed it. Hope you return. Kind regards, John.

Return to “Duxford Shows”