Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Best display of RIAT 2022

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Campbell89

Re: Best display of RIAT 2022

Post by Campbell89 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:34 pm

Red-Eye-Knight wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:10 pm
seven wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:29 am
Red-Eye-Knight wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:18 pm

Oh I was greatful don't get me wrong I have no complaints about RIAT i just felt it was very short and they usually do a bit more hovering up and down the runway like the Chinook does.
I'd say the RAF Chinook display is the best solo helicopter out there.
That we're likely to see anyway :lol:
Oh i don't know the Apache runs it close in my opinion but Chinook still an awesome display.
Agreed. Think the Chinook edges it but the Apache display with pyrotechnics is a good watch!

seven

Post by seven » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:56 pm

What Apache display..? ;)

Very much missed this year, whilst understandble given the Guardian transition.

On a related subject, France, Germany, Spain, Where's your Tigers...
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

seven

Post by seven » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:02 pm

Leuchars Fan wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:20 pm
seven wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:13 am
It wasn't a display.. And there isn't a dedicated F-35 display team in the UK.
You mean a solo display, tell me how do you distinguish these days between the Red Arrows, a display team, and the Typhoon solo display when it is also called a display team?

LF
No, I meant what I wrote. And the Red Arrows are those red things with all the smokey stuff, the Typhoon is the loud one with the lighty bits at the back.

They are officially named Display Teams, which is why I call them that. Apologies if its hard to fathom.
#KeepFightingMichael #banthebulls

Bobby 1211

Post by Bobby 1211 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:20 pm

The Chinook display team might be the best helicopter demo in the world. The problem is I've seen it every year and it just does not hit the same. Still enjoy the noise though 😀 hopefully next year we will get the return of the AAC demo with two Ah-64E's and the Wildcat demo will return to its much better duo display.

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:25 pm

A display team consists of more than just the pilot and the aircraft, There are also the ground crew and support staff that do the teams stalls at the airshow and promote the team as a whole, It does not matter if it is 1 aircraft or 9 they are all display teams.

Bluesteve1964

Post by Bluesteve1964 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:47 am

First post alert!!!
Was there on Sunday, Thought Black Eagles were fantastic as did their commentator :D .
Austrian QRA was impressive just a shame the Typhoons had to cut short, but I think for me most entertaining was the C27 Spartan, Love seeing a larger plane thrown around and pushed to its limits. Loved it's landing too.

Philwinward

Post by Philwinward » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:29 am

Always liked the Chinook display, but recently it hasn’t seemed as dynamic as it used to be. I remember watching a tv program on RAF displays a couple of years ago, the Chinook was going through its display when various alarms and warning lights went off. The crew landed safely and set about trying to find the problem.The “problem “ turned out to be the Chinook itself. It was the first time that the updated version had been flown in a display and the new sensors and computers didn’t like the way it was being flown !! The display was toned down to allow the later versions to be used.

Leuchars Fan

Post by Leuchars Fan » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:52 am

Red-Eye-Knight wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:25 pm
A display team consists of more than just the pilot and the aircraft, There are also the ground crew and support staff that do the teams stalls at the airshow and promote the team as a whole, It does not matter if it is 1 aircraft or 9 they are all display teams.
Nonsense that stuff's all done by magic always has!

Vulture 01

Post by Vulture 01 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:20 pm

Hands down, the Korean Black Eagles. Their team seem to looked at all the other display sequences, picked the best bits then bettered them.
Best display I've seen in 50 years!

BTW over time I've been lucky enough to have seen the Thunderbirds (always the same show), Blue Angles, Reds, Frecce Tricolori, Snowbirds, Diables Rouge, Turkish Stars (fantastic commentator) and the Tiger Romeos.
Sorry folks, the Black Eagles have the edge on all of these.

Rob666

Post by Rob666 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:52 pm

The Black Eagles, the quick snap formation changes with the ying/yang and the spiral bomb burst they are amazing. I just hope they don't leave it another 10 years before we see them.

I enjoyed all the other flying and the skill and airmanship in the skies hardy to be a 2nd, 3rd etc personally.

Skywatcher
Location: Under the approach to runway 27 raf fairford supporter

Post by Skywatcher » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:26 pm

I thought other than the Black Eagles (which seem to be everyone’s new favourites and it’s easy to see why they are outstanding)
The Hungarian Hind was pretty awesome not seen one from Hungary before (at least not in person) ,the Gripen always impresses me it’s one of my favourites and the German Merlin was neat to again not seen one before
Spirit watcher/BUFF fan/96thBS/420th air base Squadron supporter

Please like my Facebook page -Raf Fairford photography and news -

Andy Marden

Post by Andy Marden » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:45 pm

German NH90?

Skywatcher
Location: Under the approach to runway 27 raf fairford supporter

Post by Skywatcher » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:06 pm

Yes there was a German NH90 in the flying display I’m sure of it,it was a NH90 TTH from the German army
From the RIAT website
https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircr ... erman-nh90
Spirit watcher/BUFF fan/96thBS/420th air base Squadron supporter

Please like my Facebook page -Raf Fairford photography and news -

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:24 pm

100% German NH-90 1 in flying and 1 in static no German Merlin.

jamesg23

Post by jamesg23 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:07 pm

Leuchars Fan wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:19 pm
jamesg23 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:03 pm
Leuchars Fan wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:20 pm

You mean a solo display, tell me how do you distinguish these days between the Red Arrows, a display team, and the Typhoon solo display when it is also called a display team?

LF
A display team isn't just a pilot but also the crew that look after the aircraft. like the typhoon display team for example, there will be a number of groundcrew member with the pilot to make up the team. That's where the term "display team" comes from.
Did you really think I thought it was all done by magic? Of course I understand the egalitarian angle and that is why recently 'display team' is the preferred term for what is a "solo" display. Another reason for what is, in my opinion, overstatement, is the dearth of available resources for display flying today anyway. Anything you see, especially from the RAF, is scant, there is no expectation any longer, just a gaudily painted Typhoon. The more the hype, the less you get. I understand the aim to include all involved who don't actually appear in public, but that has never applied to the stage, theatre, rock bands? Next time you get a ticket to see "the stones" shouldn't the billboard advertising included the roadies, wardrobe staff, seamstress, sound engineer, catering, oh and the Manager? When Elvis appeared in Las Vegas or wherever, should the neon signs have given equal space to Colonel Tom Parker, Jerry Schilling and the rest of the retinue? Perhaps they could be rounded up as the Elvis Band, even though he was all that people paid a lot of money to see. To get back to display flying, its not a Typhoon display team, because there is only one in the display.

LF
Are The stones trying to recruit though? the raf are so the like to include everyone so people get to see what goes on and then think "i want to do that". Have you ever moaned about the blues on the red arrows? Well this is no different. Try to think outside the box and that the raf and other air arms that have a dispkay team might be doing things for more reasons than just to entertain you.

Leuchars Fan

Post by Leuchars Fan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:41 am

jamesg23 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:07 pm
Leuchars Fan wrote:
jamesg23 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:03 pm

A display team isn't just a pilot but also the crew that look after the aircraft. like the typhoon display team for example, there will be a number of groundcrew member with the pilot to make up the team. That's where the term "display team" comes from.
Did you really think I thought it was all done by magic? Of course I understand the egalitarian angle and that is why recently 'display team' is the preferred term for what is a "solo" display. Another reason for what is, in my opinion, overstatement, is the dearth of available resources for display flying today anyway. Anything you see, especially from the RAF, is scant, there is no expectation any longer, just a gaudily painted Typhoon. The more the hype, the less you get. I understand the aim to include all involved who don't actually appear in public, but that has never applied to the stage, theatre, rock bands? Next time you get a ticket to see "the stones" shouldn't the billboard advertising included the roadies, wardrobe staff, seamstress, sound engineer, catering, oh and the Manager? When Elvis appeared in Las Vegas or wherever, should the neon signs have given equal space to Colonel Tom Parker, Jerry Schilling and the rest of the retinue? Perhaps they could be rounded up as the Elvis Band, even though he was all that people paid a lot of money to see. To get back to display flying, its not a Typhoon display team, because there is only one in the display.

LF
Are The stones trying to recruit though? the raf are so the like to include everyone so people get to see what goes on and then think "i want to do that". Have you ever moaned about the blues on the red arrows? Well this is no different. Try to think outside the box and that the raf and other air arms that have a dispkay team might be doing things for more reasons than just to entertain you.
I'm often completely misunderstood when I make certain observations, I'm not for one second denying the unseen essential make up of what you see. But there is a reason why the Red Arrows are referred to as a display team, because they perform, as a team. A solo display is just that, its no disrespect to the ground crew who are there of course just as you have a heart and lungs to live. But the ground crew are not part of the display billing, if you like neither is the pilot/crew, although they naturally attract media attention because they actually fly the display, it is their skill, on display. But ultimately when you read the programme, you look to see what aircraft are participating, not who is involved in getting the airframe in an airworthy fueled state or who dealt with the flight planning, diplomatic clearance (if its an overseas display) or who the senior officer was who authorized the display in the first place. I'm sorry fellah, it may be the age difference, I'm aware I'm about twice the age of many on these forums, I don't know, it might just be me. However, the habit of describing a solo display aircraft as a display team, I fully understand is out of recognition to all who are vital but out of sight. But it also strikes me as something which has come hand in hand with the heavy reduction in aircraft types to display by the RAF, and also, something I'll say advisedly, the RAF's relative loss of interest and evident lack of investment in public displays compared to what it once was. Therefore increasing the publicity effort around what little there is, hence a psychedelic Tiffy! This has been a gradual steady decline, particularly since 1990. On an up note, I asked a young Hawk T2 jockey (at RIAT) if we were ever likely to see a solo Hawk T2 display, he said they had tried to arrange for one this year but was more optimistic about there being one next year. If I may venture another observation James, I believe one of the difficult constraints on display flying now is that there are so few aircraft airframes by type making available surplus difficult to find. I do hope this explains my frustrated and sometimes rushed responses to some posts, but I do mean to offer some insight born of a lengthy number of years wasted going to airshows. 1962 I believe was my first.

Best wishes,

LF

Rob666

Post by Rob666 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:17 am

I agree display team more than one aircraft, and with a singleton its one guy or gal flying (everyone knows they don't get in the air without a lot of support/effort and sweat)

Being going to shows since 1981.

Rob

jamesg23

Post by jamesg23 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:33 pm

Leuchars Fan wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:41 am
jamesg23 wrote:
Leuchars Fan wrote:

LF
I'm often completely misunderstood when I make certain observations, I'm not for one second denying the unseen essential make up of what you see. But there is a reason why the Red Arrows are referred to as a display team, because they perform, as a team. A solo display is just that, its no disrespect to the ground crew who are there of course just as you have a heart and lungs to live. But the ground crew are not part of the display billing, if you like neither is the pilot/crew, although they naturally attract media attention because they actually fly the display, it is their skill, on display. But ultimately when you read the programme, you look to see what aircraft are participating, not who is involved in getting the airframe in an airworthy fueled state or who dealt with the flight planning, diplomatic clearance (if its an overseas display) or who the senior officer was who authorized the display in the first place. I'm sorry fellah, it may be the age difference, I'm aware I'm about twice the age of many on these forums, I don't know, it might just be me. However, the habit of describing a solo display aircraft as a display team, I fully understand is out of recognition to all who are vital but out of sight. But it also strikes me as something which has come hand in hand with the heavy reduction in aircraft types to display by the RAF, and also, something I'll say advisedly, the RAF's relative loss of interest and evident lack of investment in public displays compared to what it once was. Therefore increasing the publicity effort around what little there is, hence a psychedelic Tiffy! This has been a gradual steady decline, particularly since 1990. On an up note, I asked a young Hawk T2 jockey (at RIAT) if we were ever likely to see a solo Hawk T2 display, he said they had tried to arrange for one this year but was more optimistic about there being one next year. If I may venture another observation James, I believe one of the difficult constraints on display flying now is that there are so few aircraft airframes by type making available surplus difficult to find. I do hope this explains my frustrated and sometimes rushed responses to some posts, but I do mean to offer some insight born of a lengthy number of years wasted going to airshows. 1962 I believe was my first.

Best wishes,

LF
I understand what you mean and agree with the fact that a single typhoon or f16 or whatever is infact a solo display but lets remember that most displays these days are not for the plane spotter/ enthusiast but more for the general public and then after the display the general public can meet the team. Like i said its all about public visibility and the term "team" is more inclusive for everyone than the term "solo". Its also recognition to the guys in the RAF that have been selected to be on the team.

Leuchars Fan

Post by Leuchars Fan » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:22 pm

jamesg23 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:33 pm
Leuchars Fan wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:41 am
jamesg23 wrote:

Best wishes,

LF
I understand what you mean and agree with the fact that a single typhoon or f16 or whatever is infact a solo display but lets remember that most displays these days are not for the plane spotter/ enthusiast but more for the general public and then after the display the general public can meet the team. Like i said its all about public visibility and the term "team" is more inclusive for everyone than the term "solo". Its also recognition to the guys in the RAF that have been selected to be on the team.
Ok Sir, but have you got your fingers crossed for the Hawk T2 getting an outing next year. Also, I'm sure its ok to mention it on the QT, see my new book, A Hundred Years of the RAFF Air Display 1920-2020, published by fonthill media. Thanks! :ninja:

LF

StevenNFFC

Post by StevenNFFC » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:56 pm

My personal awards:

The King Hussein Memorial Sword (Best Overall Flying Demonstration): ROKAF Black Eagles Demonstration Team - I can't disagree with the official award. It was obvious that the team would be given some sort of award even without taking to the air but their display is so refined, so accurate and so beautifully flown that I would have nominated them for this award anyway. Here's looking forward to 2032 for their next appearance!

The Paul Bowen Trophy (Best Solo Jet Demonstration): Finnish Air Force - BAe Hawk Mk.51 - I think a rather overlooked item in many eyes. The display was exemplary, really showing what the "legacy" Hawk can achieve in the right hands and it was really good to see it displayed solo again after so long (I think 2012 was the last time the RAF flew a solo display?).

The Sir Douglas Bader Trophy (Best Individual Flying Demonstration): Slovenian Air Force - Pilatus PC-9M - I was surprised not to see this get any official awards as I thought the whole sequence was breath-taking with so many different elements to the display. It really was an impeccably flown display but I know it has had numerous awards over the previous few years so perhaps the organisers felt it was time to share the love elsewhere!

The RAFCTE Trophy (Best Flying Demonstration by an Overseas Participant): Spanish Air Force EF-18A+ Hornet - I can't quite put my finger on why but I think this display was probably my favourite of all throughout the entire weekend. There's something about the Spanish Air Force and the vigour and energy they put into their displays that really impresses me. They just appear to "throw it around" a lot more than other items and really showcase the capabilities of the aircraft whenever they enter the flying display.

The Steedman Display Sword (Best Flying Demonstration by a UK Participant: Royal Air Force - Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4 - If i'm honest it was a toss up between the Chinook and the Typhoon (especially with so little on offer in the flying display which is a disappointment but perhaps a sign of the times). I just felt that the Typhoon display was outstanding and perhaps the livery also swung my opinion as I am a sucker for black schemes but the display itself was full of turning and burning and plenty of G

Return to “RIAT”