Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Best locations outside RIAT

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Headancer

Best locations outside RIAT

Post by Headancer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:04 am

Where do we feel are the best locations outside without causing a nuisance.

I've excluded the footpath which is out of bounds.

Any comments or photographic examples re Totterdown or Masons arms ?

Any other locations ?

Toefur

Re: Best locations outside RIAT

Post by Toefur » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:11 am

masons arms is ok when the teams ie red arrows etc are on .but single display planes don't come that close and theres lots of trees so the notice you get is limited . I always use townsend farm cracking views and photo opps.Cheers Toefur

Headancer

Post by Headancer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:18 pm

Great stuff. I've got a couple of tickets for the Friday and the Saturday but just fancy something a bit different in terms of the angles.

stealth117

Post by stealth117 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 pm

Hi, personally I think your best view from outside now is totterdown, there was rhymes farm until a few years ago which I would say was on par if not better than totterdown. Townsend is ok if you are happy with landing pictures (if the wind is favouring that end) but for the actual display it was a bit hit and miss when we camped there, with just the odd bit of action as you are set right on the end of the displays, maybe better for display teams. I would definitely recommend totterdown though.

Thanks
Martin

Toefur

Post by Toefur » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:00 pm

I do agree it's best for landing shots but if there not landing that end you could argue it's good for take off shots .don't get me wrong not playing devils advocate just offering a bit of help /advice.anyway just get up there and snap away best ai rshow in the world so enjoy cheers

herc15

Post by herc15 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:19 am

don't want to hijack the thread but where is the best place for departures on Monday?

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 am

herc15 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:19 am
don't want to hijack the thread but where is the best place for departures on Monday?
Depends what you want mate. Taxi outs and take offs? Probably the west car park. Airborne shots? Then East car park. Usual caveat is runway dependant but usually, most take offs are from the West end :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

herc15

Post by herc15 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:26 am

looking for airborne shots ideally mate... thing is you have to have an adult with you don't you?
its annoying because I am only 2 or 3 months off 18...

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:59 am

Tbh with you I am not 100% sure - I know Monday has now sold out though, may be worth speaking direct with RIAT and seeing what you can find out. I can't speak for viewing outside though
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:38 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 am
herc15 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:19 am
Depends what you want mate. Taxi outs and take offs? Probably the west car park. Airborne shots? Then East car park. Usual caveat is runway dependant but usually, most take offs are from the West end :thumb:
I've done departures 7 out of the last 8 years (my dad passed away in 2013 so didn't go).

At all the ones I've been to, the EAST end has been taxi and take-off. I've got some cracking shots of taxi and reheat coming on!

I've only been to West once, (thought the wind was going to favour taxi and take-off from West - WRONG!), it was fine for airborne. but not much taxi and minimal take-off (1 or 2).
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Cheers for the corrections...Got the ends mixed up :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

herc15

Post by herc15 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Yeah I reckon I'll head to East then.
What's the queue like and how early do you reckon I should get there?
Gutted I didn't think about booking earlier.

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:49 am

I've got my ticket, I'll arrive 8-ish.

I know I wont be at the front, but I have a few years experience of poking my lens under armpits and around hats!

I took a kitchen step once, but security told me I could only use it in the ladder enclosure, so I just sat on it!

Having done East and West (only once West), I think there is more to see East, but West is less crowded (but very busy on the fence-line).

I will do East again, no matter what the wind direction is.
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

herc15

Post by herc15 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 am

is it worth going into the ladder enclosure then?

jingernut

Post by jingernut » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:50 am

I always do East in the ladder section as there is more space to move about. Only take a small set of steps so I can stand back and get over peoples heads. If you ask nicely you can always grab a few pics up at the fence as well if needs be. Just be courteous to other people (although saying that I have seen some atrocious behaviour from grown men on the fence line before... that's probably a whole other thread though!).

Really depends on what you want to get out of the day to be honest.

CGM

Post by CGM » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 am

This will be my first departures day so thanks for the advice posted above, I think I'll go to the East this time.

What is the parking like? Is the car park grass or hard standing? Is it well sign posted as I'll be driving down from Cheltenham for on the Monday?

Scott

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:03 pm

If you go to the East (Welford) end, it's mostly good for taxi/take off shots. On Monday you will need to arrive there extremely early and wear your running shoes, as it can be a rugby scrum to find a decent spot at the front, sometimes it can even turn ugly (I have witnessed the occasional scuffle there in the 90's). Personally I prefer the West end (Marston Meysey) , it's a lot more laid back there with bags of space for everyone. And you will still get the occasional taxi shot there as well (usually transports, with the random fighter thrown in). But where the West end scores over the East end is for the occasional showboating departures, especially from the heavies - in particular the RJord AF C-130. In fact you don't even need to be in the viewing enclosure for taking pictures, on the last two occasions that I attended the departures I've watched the movements from the carpark itself which is just as good, certainly saved me the chore of carting loads of paraphernalia back and forth. The carpark itself is elevated somewhat and affords a much better view down the flightline, (sometimes I feel that the enclosure is too close to the runway). Being further back allows you to compose great panning shots particularly with a 400mm. :thumb:

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:16 am

Havent got tickets for Monday. Are there any left ? First come first serve? Failing that are there any places outside? Was thinking of parking at spotted cow and walking if all else fails. Is Totterdown or Lakeside camping good for departures? Many thanks
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

starfighter

Post by starfighter » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 am

Anyone going in on Sunday, and wants a ticket for the western end Monday,have one spare,
If you want to met up and exchange, ( me mate unfortunately can’t make it ).
Steve.

Jaymer15

Post by Jaymer15 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:03 pm

starfighter wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 am
Anyone going in on Sunday, and wants a ticket for the western end Monday,have one spare,
If you want to met up and exchange, ( me mate unfortunately can’t make it ).
Steve.
I would take it if available still? I've sent a private message.

Return to “RIAT”