Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
jasonT1981

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2019 Discussion Thread

Post by jasonT1981 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:21 pm

This year is also the Red's 55th season, with the Blades all being ex-Reds pilots also it could be a 'unique formation' to celebrate that milestone.

That is just my speculation.

But I am not getting the mass over-reaction to this. RIAT, while being mostly military has had civilian displays like the Wingwalkers etc before. it's one display. I am sure there will be more 'heavy metal' in the weeks ahead.

People like to get flustered over every little detail. I am just going to sit back, relax and enjoy two full days of flying. Hopefully in lovely weather.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Completely agree there mate!

It’s just a cheap excuse for me people to moan and slag off the show...whilst still paying to attend. :S :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Vador the Belgian F-16 display pilot has said his calendar for the season will be released this afternoon https://www.facebook.com/BelgianAirForceF16SoloDisplay/

Also shows what's likely to be one of the new patches for the season :clap:
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:18 pm

FRIAT almost sold.out too
FRIAT Nearly Sold Out!

Memberships for our Friends of the Royal International Air Tattoo (FRIAT) package have nearly sold out! Mach 1 (2 days), Mach 2 (4 days) and Mach 3 (6 days) have less than 20 spaces remaining and we anticipate these will sell out soon. Find out more
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:46 pm

Gary wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:17 pm
Also shows what's likely to be one of the new patches for the season :clap:
Looks nice! :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Belgian F16 Self confirmed today.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:50 pm

That will probably be tomorrow's update :lol:

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:51 pm

James Cutting wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 pm

It’s just a cheap excuse for me people to moan and slag off the show...whilst still paying to attend. :S :lol:
The whole RIAT show is now just a money making machine - a business. All businesses want to make money and draw people in and that is the way it is. It started with sponsorship years ago with banners on the hangars etc and it goes on as businesses do - a couple of years ago it was 'Dont leave yet we have Alexandra Burke (or whatever her name is) on stage for a concert' - hooray!?!

For some of us there was none of this when it was IAT and it was the biggest military airshow in the world held every 2 years with military aircraft in the air all the time. It had a number of firsts throughout the years which we all flocked to see but if we did not want to attend there were plenty more shows to go to to get our 'fix' - I can remeber trying to map out the shows and working out which ones to go. This option no longer exists as other shows are no longer around

I agree with Jim (James Baker) - The Blades (did not matter who was flying them or who they were connected to) would be a filler act back in the day and in my mind they are today, but that does not stop us going to the show as we still want to be there for the other acts / aircraft on static display. Everybody has their own agenda - last year I thought the show was dull but wanted to see the guys / aircraft from DM. Previous year I thought was a barn stormer - each to their own? Belgian F-16 self confirming yesterday - :Wow: :Wow: ??

Everybody has their opinion about each show dependent on how long you have been going but dont think the above is right - just another moan / chance to salg off other peoples views. For me the show is on a downward trend with a bias to fill slots. Never get overly excited about the show now - nothing is in stone until the wheels hit the tarmac (or depart it in the case of the U-2s leaving early a couple of years ago :clap: ) - but will go - airshow in the rain is better than work!

Darren

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:58 pm

Knife 04 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:51 pm
James Cutting wrote:

The whole RIAT show is now just a money making machine - a business. All businesses want to make money and draw people in and that is the way it is. It started with sponsorship years ago with banners on the hangars etc and it goes on as businesses do - a couple of years ago it was 'Dont leave yet we have Alexandra Burke (or whatever her name is) on stage for a concert' - hooray!?!

For some of us there was none of this when it was IAT and it was the biggest military airshow in the world held every 2 years with military aircraft in the air all the time. It had a number of firsts throughout the years which we all flocked to see but if we did not want to attend there were plenty more shows to go to to get our 'fix' - I can remeber trying to map out the shows and working out which ones to go. This option no longer exists as other shows are no longer around

I agree with Jim (James Baker) - The Blades (did not matter who was flying them or who they were connected to) would be a filler act back in the day and in my mind they are today, but that does not stop us going to the show as we still want to be there for the other acts / aircraft on static display. Everybody has their own agenda - last year I thought the show was dull but wanted to see the guys / aircraft from DM. Previous year I thought was a barn stormer - each to their own? Belgian F-16 self confirming yesterday - :Wow: :Wow: ??

Everybody has their opinion about each show dependent on how long you have been going but dont think the above is right - just another moan / chance to salg off other peoples views. For me the show is on a downward trend with a bias to fill slots. Never get overly excited about the show now - nothing is in stone until the wheels hit the tarmac (or depart it in the case of the U-2s leaving early a couple of years ago :clap: ) - but will go - airshow in the rain is better than work!

Darren
Don't forget the French ATL2 leaving early last year after its wheels were on the tarmac ;)

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:17 pm

This week we are pleased to confirm that the Slovenian Air Force are returning with their PC-9M Swift display and a Let410 on static display!
The Belgian Air Component has confirmed their ever-popular F-16 solo display will be flying on Friday and Saturday!
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

james baker

Post by james baker » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:42 pm

ImageDSC_0431 by james baker, on Flickr.

The Blades effect sorry about the old camo jet behind .Take a stand against knife crime ban the blades !

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:06 pm

With the flypast at Leuchars today forgot about todays update another nice update from DBH, Saw the PC-9 last 2 years at RIAT and both were brilliant displays and the Belgian F-16 is always a good display so happy to see that added to the lineup again. :clap:

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 pm

james baker wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:42 pm

The Blades effect sorry about the old camo jet behind .Take a stand against knife crime ban the blades !
This did make me laugh I must admit :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Red-Eye-Knight wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:06 pm
With the flypast at Leuchars today forgot about todays update another nice update from DBH, Saw the PC-9 last 2 years at RIAT and both were brilliant displays and the Belgian F-16 is always a good display so happy to see that added to the lineup again. :clap:
Almost fell off my chair in shock with this announcement... :roll: :lol: :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:46 pm

james baker wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:42 pm

With you there Jim - not so sure about the 'Knife' though ;) ;)

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:15 am

James Cutting wrote:

Ah, but most of us pay to attend way before the Thursday updates start. Seeing announcements for Seaside Airshow acts is just a wind up, I can see those at Southport most years and still not bother raising the camera off my lap...
Cameraless

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:21 am

Yeah, I guess so Mark. It'll be a filler, and no doubt RIAT will release the bigger names closer to the show...Felt last year was a good year personally
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

dollar99

Post by dollar99 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:11 pm

Darren

Hate to disagree but go back to the mid '70s and you will find the Rothmans Pitts were in the display while the static contained Cessnas and Pipers!

Are the Blades a filler, not really, will joe public go oooh and aaah, probably, do we care maybe not. The days of huge military participation are long gone. I go now in the hope I might see something I haven't seen before and I might get better photos of stuff I've seen for years. This is another year closer to me completing 50 years of going, but after 2 years of FRIAT I am back down to 3 days this year and that is the plan for the next few ;)
Eagles soar, but Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139706453@N02/albums

StevenNFFC

Post by StevenNFFC » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 am

Royal Air Force Chinook Display have self-confirmed:

https://twitter.com/ChinookDisplay/stat ... 5087598592

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:38 am

Hopefully its better than last years display at RIAT.

Return to “RIAT”