Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hard times again!

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
jem60

Re: Hard times again!

Post by jem60 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:12 am

Me being controversial again.[Little change there then] Are there people on here that think we are being a little overly sentimental about this.? There is already a taxi-able Vulcan, and numerous static ones scattered about the country for all to see!. Yes I agree with everybody that these preservation attempts are frequently mismanaged, Shackleton being a prime example, although not the owners fault. We had a good few years with the Vulcan flying, [much to my surprise, I might add]. Is it not time to say that this affair has run it's course, or shall we put more money after bad. Perhaps donating to 'Sally B' is a much better, and more worthwhile destination for our dosh??
Hope I'm still your friend after this Patrick!!!. :)

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:24 am

Or alternatively to Just Jane, the sight of two Lancasters flying together again would be far more impressive than a begging bucket Vulcan. Never understood why so many people donated so much money towards it.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:10 pm

No worries, John, we will always be friends ;)

You make pertinent, relevant and valid points as always :)

I still wish she could be moved to Brunty, though :(

Sally B and the Panton Lanc: both superb 'craft deserving of the best that can be provided for them :thumb:

Cheers :thumbs:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Gasmanwj

Post by Gasmanwj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:43 am

None of what has happened was unpredictable and should all have been planned for by the management and trustees of VTS, it would be interesting to hear what the exact plans and assumptions that were made were because they were clearly wrong. It is all in danger of becoming a tremendous waste of public money - both from supporters who for so long financed the project and also from the lottery funding they received. My greatest worry is that if this all ends in disaster it will prevent other better run projects from being able to access similar funding in the future when all aviation projects get labelled with the same brush.
There needs to be far greater transparency from the trust as to how this has occurred and where the money went in my view, and if necessary new management is needed.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm with the majority on this send her to Brunty to retire with the rest of the cold war jets.

As we all said at the time Doncaster Airport was a stupid place to put her, a commercial airport with commercial growth plans & looking to expand it was all going to end in tears.

Lets face it the Airport ain't going to allow fast taxi runs down the runway if it impacts commercial operations.

It's an Airport so we need to consider the security of the place & restrict public access.

We're an airport so we need to look after the aircraft that earn us a heap of money, if you can't pay we'll have to take it away.

Donny may have been the correct choice when flying (Not even 100% on that) but now she's grounded it's clearly not going to be a peaceful retirement.

Not going to contribute another penny to the project.

Now off to contribute to getting Jane back into the Air :P

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Yes...totaly agree with Andy_99 and all the other posts above.

The only donation I would make now, would be for a ferry flight back to Brunty but as it's already been said above, thats not going to happen.

Shame it couldn't be done as I fear she will now slowly rot away...we did everything we could to keep her flying...VVTS should now do everything they can to take her back where she truely now belongs

Where the public can once again witness and enjoy the sound the Vulcan Howl as she blasts down the runway.

VBTB

T1

RJ79

Post by RJ79 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:25 pm

VTTS have always been a law unto themselves, and have always put themselves before a love of the aircraft. Too many people have piggy backed off the project for too long and it's been a nice little earner for the CEO (in my own opinion). Dealing with them at RIAT was always interesting when marking sites out, nothing ever seemed to be enough.

Like others I will happily contribute to Just Jane, from inception to getting to where it wants to be, it seems to be a totally different story. Whilst they are two gorgeous aircraft, the people at East Kirby have put everything in to this (and yes they are fundraising and probably have been for a while), but the guilt trips and begging bowls certainly haven't been out on a monthly basis like we grew used to with VTTS.

With some luck people can find a way of getting it back to Brunty (to where it really should be), however I fancy this to be more of a dream and the reality is it will end up on the scrapheap.........
Cheers,

Rob

Nikon D60
Nikon 18-55mm lens
Tamron 70-300mm lens
Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt Scanner

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Yes, I agree with all of the comments made by all. My VBTB was a bit tongue in cheek and all of the chaps at Brunty who keep those aircraft in running order are probably happy with what they have got currently. Would the Vulcan put their efforts in the shade?
Don't misconstrue this post, I love Brunty.
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

castle man

Post by castle man » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:01 pm

It's looking like the "Vulcan Howl" will be heard no more. Other than from all the public who donated money to keep her flying...!

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:02 pm

Since touching down at RHA 558 has had a couple of engine runs on the pan & a 'hush hush' taxi run.
I think that after all of TVOC's post flight promises, and considering 558 has now being grounded for over a year it is becoming evidently clear that a public fast taxy run is unlikely to happen anytime soon, especially as they are now very limited with what they can do to raise funds!

They are bound by National Lottery terms to look after the aircraft, so based on that 558's future is secured. Hopefully TVOC will get their act together and concentrate on building this Etna project hangar & stick to their promises. A return to Brunty would be nice, but it appears that TVOC are committed to keeping her at RHA.

I hope they sort something out soon, I really do!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

PR9

Post by PR9 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:37 am

Supposedly engineering staff gone. Time allowed in hangar 1 will limited too.
Unless the "good" Dr. can pull a building or ETNA out of his backside in the next few months its not looking good. :grr:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 pm

The sad fact is that we already seem to have 14 Vulcans "preserved" around the UK, excluding XH558, so the question has to be asked do we really need another one.

Lowfly11

Post by Lowfly11 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Credits to http://www.dsaf.co.uk / VTTS a You Tube video has appeared all about XH558's future visitor centre etc link is
https://M.youtube.com/watch?v=4Npxc9NaV14 .Regards Tim

willow70

Post by willow70 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:28 pm

I know the Vulcan is near impossible to dismantle to transport but it would look nice next to a B52 and Shack at Pima air museum Az . It would not rot there but might get sunburned..

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:34 pm

If I get any more incandescent, I will self-combust :Wow:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”