Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Final flights XH558

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
Gary
Administrator

Re: Final flights XH558

Post by Gary » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:36 am

Sounds like the Vulcan is in formation with the Blades at Sywell
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:05 pm

I believe its something to do with the prize for their raffle.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Vulcan finally finished doing formation work with the Blades, now heading back to Doncaster
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

flarkey

Post by flarkey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Not on FR24, but on Planefinder...

https://planefinder.net/flight/VLCN

metalman

Post by metalman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Hampshire Aviation, Please do not Blaspheme, :grr:

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:39 pm

Richard B wrote:Get all the Avro's up together, not just the Lanc.
Getting '558 to formate with Shuttleworth's Avro Triplane would be more than a tad interesting. :)
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:36 pm

metalman wrote:Hampshire Aviation, Please do not Blaspheme, :grr:
Thanks for that. Seems to have been directed at me.
Only reported what was on BBC as many may not have been able to see it live.
There is a lot of interest on here as to the Vulcans activity towards the final days.
Did fly today!

Edit is spelling.

Sylar

Post by Sylar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Arrived shortly after 11:00 with a display then out to hold, formed up with Spitfire and Blades several times and went back to Doncaster around 13:00.

Cheers

Shane
Still searching for the master shot.

POL

Post by POL » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:55 pm

martmpf wrote:Thanks for that. Seems to have been directed at me.
Not intentially! Simply the apparent desperation of seeing the Vulcan again that every single little movement - i.e. reporting a fuel tanker being nearby at an airfield - makes people appear desperate.

kph100

Post by kph100 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:10 pm

So the newsletter gives no more clues about when the final flight will be .......

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:11 pm

EGVP wrote:
Not intentially! Simply the apparent desperation of seeing the Vulcan again that every single little movement - i.e. reporting a fuel tanker being nearby at an airfield - makes people appear desperate.
Thanks for that . No offence taken or at least none I will take any notice of.

The tanker with the four inch or so fuel lines attached on live on TV was a bit of a clue though and as I said the Vulcan does attract interest.

What surprises me is that the VTTSC trust appear to want as much publicity as possible when it suits them, at other times they don't want any.

If, in the final days, why are flights secret?

Mart

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:33 pm

EGVP wrote:
Oh how wrong can you be, I will be more than happy when the major topic of conversation will be anything but the Vulcan; the money could have been spent on far more worthwhile projects like getting Just Jane airborne at East Kirkby. The sight of two flying Lancasters, as proven last year, will beat one Vulcan any day and continues to provide a lasting tribute to those of Bomber Command, including my uncle, who gave their lives. What is the highlight of the tin triangles career, one flight to the Falklands!

There was a fantastic turnout at Coningsby yesterday to see Thumper take to the air again, a sight we will continue to see.

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:30 pm

plmc135 wrote:
EGVP wrote:
Oh how wrong can you be, I will be more than happy when the major topic of conversation will be anything but the Vulcan; the money could have been spent on far more worthwhile projects like getting Just Jane airborne at East Kirkby. The sight of two flying Lancasters, as proven last year, will beat one Vulcan any day and continues to provide a lasting tribute to those of Bomber Command, including my uncle, who gave their lives. What is the highlight of the tin triangles career, one flight to the Falklands!

There was a fantastic turnout at Coningsby yesterday to see Thumper take to the air again, a sight we will continue to see.
The, "Flight to the Falklands," was an impressive and risky mission involving many aircraft and did have significant strategic and political results far outweighing the actual amount of damage inflicted at the airfield at Stanley but you also have to admire the fact that a dumb iron bomb had travelled so far and hit the centre of it's intended target, at night, in a heavily defended area.

The Vulcan also represents Roy Chadwick's journey in aircraft design at AVRO and I think that when you look at the Anson, Lancaster and Vulcan together and say there is, design wise, a decade between them, then it is certainly a journey to flight that I have enjoyed and I'm going to miss it.

History, like music impacts on a generation, then misses one, then is rediscovered. The Vulcan and the Falklands War is 'the new' Second World War.

wavodavo

Post by wavodavo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:11 pm

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:20 pm

Well it looks like this petition will probably reach the required 10,000 so that someone in a government department will have to waste valuable time to respond. Hopefully it will get nowhere near the 100,000 mark which will force a debate. There is not enough parliamentary time to debate serious life-impacting issues never mind this fruitless effort. There are a number of people who ought to realise that this airframe has reached retirement age - again.

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:51 pm

plmc135 wrote:
EGVP wrote:

Who are you to say how somebody else's money should have been spent? You also make the common error of assuming that without '558, people would have donated equal amounts to other projects.People support the Vulcan because they want to and the huge turn out each time she flies shows she has a very strong fan base. Quite why you need to compare her with the two Lancs is beyond me. I rejoiced in the sight of Thumper and Vera together, especially with Just Jane, but I rejoice equally in the sight of '558.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kph100

Post by kph100 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:00 pm

NOTAM for air display at Robin hood this sunday,

H5626/15: Air display will take place
Q) EGTT/QWALW/IV/M/AW/000/020/5329N00100W003AIR DISPLAY/AEROBATICS WI 3NM RADIUS 532838N 0010025W (DONCASTER
AD). FOR INFO 07748 701491. 15-10-0195/AS3.
LOWER: Surface, UPPER: 2,000 Feet AMSL
FROM: 18 Oct 2015 11:00 GMT (12:00 BST) TO: 18 Oct 2015 15:00 GMT (16:00 BST)

final flight ??

Supra

Post by Supra » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:14 pm

2000 feet upper limit, Phew!! Aint exactly gonna be a ball-breaking swansong is it?? I'm guessing everybody is invited to this one as the worst they can do is Ground the Vulcan....hang-on ???

Sylar

Post by Sylar » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:59 am

Post Shoreham it's never going to a ball breaker. Just be thankful it's still permitted to fly. We can live in hope for a bit of a show.

Cheers

Shane
Still searching for the master shot.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:57 am

If the notam on Sunday is for the Vulcan's final flight then I wonder if 558 will just be going up to display and then land, or will she also be going anywhere else on that last flight?
Now that I think of it, there may only be enough permitted airframe & engine hours left to squeeze in that one last display over Doncaster?

Gutted that she never came over East Anglia on the farewell flights last weekend, but thankful that I got to see her three times this year at Duxford, Newmarket, and Clacton, and also thankful that in this day and age so many people have been able to capture many thousands of pictures and hours of video footage of this remarkable aircraft in action :thumbs: .

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”