Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Best Vulcan Display Seen?

For announcements, photographs and video's and general '558 related chat.
Nighthawke

Re: Best Vulcan Display Seen?

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:10 pm

My outstanding Vulcan memory is a practice at Marham in the 80s. I was on Chalke Road by the 24 approach. Most of the routine was flown and aircraft lined up on finals spooled down. Just as it got over me the throttles went forward and I got the full benefit of those engines. Trying to photograph before quickly sticking fingers in ears!

Leuchars Fan

Post by Leuchars Fan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:54 am

Hard to say really, my first introduction to the Vulcan was circa 1962 a Finningley, I was very young and sat on top of FB senior's shoulders. Four anti-flash white B1As in stream down the main runway. Thereafter, the Vulcan Scramble was a must for my young self. But as for individual displays I seem to recall the displays by operational Vulcans in the '60s and '70s being particularly aggressive and noisy, however, the displays by XH558 in the last years seemed to be a tad more aerobatic, even the last displays by the RAF VDF in the late '80s and early '90s seemed rather more agile. But memory recalls the operational and OCU crews getting closer and shovelling more coal on the furnace. One of the best scrambles was Finningley 1978, only two, but once aloft they stayed pretty damned low before returning across the display line then the crowd line in line astern, then pulling up in full everything they could give to make a fast overhead departure in to the clear burning blue and the noise was certainly something else.

LF

two1938

Post by two1938 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:13 pm

I guess the best display I saw was aat Farnboro where on take off the Vulcan wing cut through the corn field and the display included a roll the pilot was I think Roly falk ( no pun intended) later of course I saw them again at Finningly

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:59 am

Always enjoyed watching 558 displaying so I've got to say I don't really have a particular favourite as I always enjoyed watching XH558 every time I saw her fly!

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:11 pm

Vulcan scrambles in the 1970s...

seafurysmith

Post by seafurysmith » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:57 am

Over the years I have seen many Vulcan displays but some stand out such as the so called last Vulcan display at RAF Upper Heyford back in the 80's i think? Also i saw the last four ship scramble at Waddington and I remember coming out of 2427 Sqn's huts at RAF Biggin Hill and seeing the Vulcan flying up the valley below me!! Sure surprised the people on the passing bus! Notable as well is a memory as a 6 or 7 year old back in the 60's standing in my mothers friends back garden north of Lincoln and watching at least 12 white triangles climbing away in lose battle formation. The sight and sound was something else!! I have always presumed it was a practice scramble out of RAF Scampton?

Return to “The Vulcan XH558 Forum”