Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Confusion over fast jets.

Seen a military aircraft recently but NOT at one of the bases or airfields listed below? Maybe it flew over the top of you today? Need to tie up the serial? Ask in here. Requests less than 6 months old only please.
Condor68

Confusion over fast jets.

Post by Condor68 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:07 pm

On Friday 10/11 Typhoons Fang 01 and Fang 02 passed over Inverkeiloor at high altitude towards Leuchars then up the east coast disappearing of FR24 just south of Montrose heading Northish. Wolf 01 and 02 appeared at Leuchars and seemed to cross the Tay turn west over Dundee and head back south.My problem is at the fishery I was at (approx 2 miles north east of Arbroath)2 Fast jets came over very low in the cloud from the direction of the sea.and turned west.From the glimpse I got they looked to be Typhoons.From the directions I thought they were the Wolf flight but that would mean FR24 was about 12 miles out. Is that possible or was there a third pair not showing up???
Thanks for any help

Keith

Yammer

Re: Confusion over fast jets.

Post by Yammer » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:19 am

""Is that possible or was there a third pair not showing up???""

Yes. As you know not everything shows on ping radar.

A radio may help you clarify what you are seeing.

Steve
Shobdon Blog - Residents photo list

https://shobdonegbsblog.blogspot.com/

roger4

Post by roger4 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:22 am

Military fast jets do not transmit their positions. Instead sites like FR24 (and others) estimate the position of the aircraft based on people sharing data from their home-ADSB receivers. I think a 12 mile error is entirely possible, especially as they were at low level and flying through an area with presumably relatively few people sharing ADSB receiver signals.

Edit - I also agree with Yammer, a third pair is also just as possible.

Condor68

Post by Condor68 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:07 am

Thanks for taking the time to reply.I knew the tracks could be out but didnt realise by how much.

Thanks again

Keith

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:06 pm

I find it hard to believe FR24 at the best of times this just goes to show why.

Return to “Recent Serial tie up area”