Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Low night flying over Essex in late 70’s

A forum for the discussion of Military aviation and RAF Station heritage
Philly1971

Low night flying over Essex in late 70’s

Post by Philly1971 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi all. Not sure if this is the right section to ask, but growing up in the late 70,s, early 80’s, my parents owned a caravan outside Maldon, Essex. on the River Blackwater. I remember on rare occasions we would hear a jet going really fast and low over the caravan, and we would all rush out, but of course it was always late, and night, so we would never see anything. For years I assumed it had come from Wethersfield, but using Google I realise that could not be the case, as jets left that base in 1970. So does anyone have any ideas on what those jets could have been, and where they came from? Also, they always seemed to be heading from inland, out towards sea. I see on another post in this section that the USAF did use a Dengie bombing range, but again that it may have stopped long before those dates? Finally I am also surprised they would be allowed to fly low towards Bradwell, which was a very much active Nuclear power station at the time; or was that the point, in that whoever it was, they deliberately we’re targeting Bradwell NPS as practice? Any information or ideas would be greatly received.

XR713

Re: Low night flying over Essex in late 70’s

Post by XR713 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:08 pm

RAF Manston was still operational in that time. Aircraft used to transit there from the East Anglian bases for Practise diversions. Also before civil air traffuic increased into Stansted, there was a egular low flying area over the A12 in a South Easterly direction. I have seen Harriers, Phantoms and F-111s use this route.

Vulture 01

Re: Low night flying over Essex in late 70’s

Post by Vulture 01 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm

Wouldn't RAF Wattisham also be quite close?
Lot's of Phantoms, including QRA jets based there until c 1992.

Return to “Heritage Area”