Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

B17 Remains from France to USA

A forum for the discussion of Military aviation and RAF Station heritage
crashman

B17 Remains from France to USA

Post by crashman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:19 am

When i worked at RAF Mildenhall for the 727th AMS i went out to a C17 that had called in for fuel on its way back from France, on boarding the aircraft it was full of parts of a WW2 B17 that was being taken back to the USA i believe for restoration. Would anyone have any additional information on this aircraft ? i remember the aircrew had fact sheets on the recovered aircraft and i was shown and allowed to inspect all the parts and i would love to know more about the history of the B17. Thanks in advance.

colt99

Re: B17 Remains from France to USA

Post by colt99 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Have a look at the link below crashman.
42-32076 (shoo shoo shoo baby) might be your aircraft.
Abandoned in France and delivered to the USA for restoration, it does say though "airlifted by a C-5 to USA ".
HTH
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoo_Shoo_Shoo_Baby
Last edited by colt99 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:33 pm

From Wiki - shoo shoo shoo baby was flown back from Germany in a C-5
The aircraft was tracked down by Steve Birdsall, a noted military aviation historian from Australia. Last flown in July 1961, the remains of the plane were donated to the U.S. Air Force in 1972 when French officials presented the B-17 to Secretary of the Air Force Robert C. Seamans, Jr. for preservation. The journey from France required the assistance of the United States Air Forces in Europe to disassemble and crate the plane for truck shipment to Rhein-Main Air Base in Germany and then eventual airlift to the United States by C-5A transport.
Brian

colt99

Post by colt99 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:46 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:33 pm
From Wiki - shoo shoo shoo baby was flown back from Germany in a C-5
The aircraft was tracked down by Steve Birdsall, a noted military aviation historian from Australia. Last flown in July 1961, the remains of the plane were donated to the U.S. Air Force in 1972 when French officials presented the B-17 to Secretary of the Air Force Robert C. Seamans, Jr. for preservation. The journey from France required the assistance of the United States Air Forces in Europe to disassemble and crate the plane for truck shipment to Rhein-Main Air Base in Germany and then eventual airlift to the United States by C-5A transport.
Brian
Saw that after I posted, made me wonder though how often a B-17 would have been flown from France to the USA so added it just in case

Return to “Heritage Area”