Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Binbrook

A forum for the discussion of Military aviation and RAF Station heritage
nickthebee

RAF Binbrook

Post by nickthebee » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi all,

I hope I have posted this in the correct section.

I paid a long overdue visit to the RAF Binbrook Heritage Centre today and had a good look around. The following airframes are in the compound:

WZ584 DH Vampire T11
XR724 BAC Lightning F6
XS457 BAC Lightning T5 (Nose)
ZF595 BAC Lightning T55 (Fuselage)

I couldn't find Sea Harrier FA2 ZE697 that, I understand, used to sit behind Hangar 3...does anyone know where it has gone? Recent Google Maps images show it missing from where I think it was situated so I presume it has moved and I wasn't just looking in the wrong place !

I also drove into Binbrook village to see Lightning XR725.

Cheers

Nick

airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Re: RAF Binbrook

Post by airfixpilot » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:20 pm

Payed a quick visit to Binbrook today. Its been so long since I was there, I didn't recognize the place or get My bearings. I last visited when I was a boy of 17-18, and the Lightning was there. Crash gate 3 was were I watched the Lightning take off. I was shocked to see the airfield in such a state, but nice to see the village of Brookenby & Binbrook. I entered by the main gate past the old guard room to the station HQ. Had a ride around and out again. If I had time I would have liked to explore the station more. I hear it has a heritage center, but could not find it. Next time I go across to Binbrook, I will make time to explore the airfield. I did see a airfield fire engine and a old Lightning covered up in tarpaulin. I also got near to some hangars, but was not sure if I was aloud inside, so turned back.
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

Return to “Heritage Area”