Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RNAS Arbroath Air Display June 1963

Got a hole in an old log? Empty lines in your notebook? Request that missing serial here, hopefully someone can help. Requests over 6 months old only please.
Condor68

RNAS Arbroath Air Display June 1963

Post by Condor68 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:00 pm

While looking for something else I have discovered another error in my records.and wondered if anyone could help. I have a Buccaneer XK529 listed as being there but on checking it appears this aircraft was written off in 1961 after a crash.If anyone has the serial of the plane that was there.I would be grateful.Its that long ago I cant
remember what was on display so am only assuming there was a Buccaneer on the airfield..

Thanks in advance

Keith

mustang5861

Re: RNAS Arbroath Air Display June 1963

Post by mustang5861 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:11 am

Condor68 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:00 pm
While looking for something else I have discovered another error in my records.and wondered if anyone could help. I have a Buccaneer XK529 listed as being there but on checking it appears this aircraft was written off in 1961 after a crash.If anyone has the serial of the plane that was there.I would be grateful.Its that long ago I cant
remember what was on display so am only assuming there was a Buccaneer on the airfield..

Thanks in advance

Keith
Your records are correct - it was Bucc S.1 XK529. The aircraft crashed in Lyme Bay, Dorset in 8/61 while operating from HMS Hermes. The fuselage (or part thereof) was recovered and transported to Arbroath/Condor (I don't know when).

HTH,
M

Condor68

Re: RNAS Arbroath Air Display June 1963

Post by Condor68 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks for the help,I convinced myself that I had the correct numbers just the wrong order .I read about the crash but missed anything regarding the move to Condor.

Thaks again

Keith

Return to “Old Serial tie up area”