Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
phil8561

Re: New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

Post by phil8561 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:23 pm

Welcome to FC Mick

Skeates

Post by Skeates » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Hello im skeates, im known around the lfa7 area. Hope to see some new faces in the new year.
Skeates

phil8561

Post by phil8561 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 pm

Welcome to FC Skeates, might catch you round the loop

Gerry13

Post by Gerry13 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:08 pm

Thank you for welcoming me to fighter control. My name is Gerry from Livingston, Scotland. I spent almost 18 years as an airframe technician in the RAF, mostly on Nimrod. I now enjoy building model aircraft although my skills are not great and my eyesight leaves room for improvement : )

phil8561

Post by phil8561 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi Gerry and welcome to FC

tommy

Post by tommy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:53 pm

hi all im tommy a few of u know me from warton fence like mr rothwell Dickinson the honourable photographer mr mickey stix the gracious gentleman and of course the daddy of them all the right reverend mr frank masson

XW268

Post by XW268 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi All,

I've been watching and reading for ages, but only just joined, so hi to everyone!!

There is another reason why I am joining though and perhaps one that has prompted to join sooner rather than later...

I am involved in the restoration of Harrier T.4N, XW268 currently at the City of Norwich Aviation Museum in Norfolk. She is currently in 899 NAS markings (in whose scheme she will remain), but she was once an RAF machine and served with 233 OCU for a lot of her life. XW268 had (although yet to be confirmed) a brief spell with No.1 Sqn around May 1977, before returning to 233 OCU. She was loaned to the Indian Navy Training Unit at RNAS Yeovilton before once again returning to 233 OCU. She was then transferred to the 899 NAS, FAA in 1990 and crashed at RNAS Yeovilton on 27th July 1994.

We have set up a Facebook page for XW268 (Facebook/xw268) and also the website (www.xw268.com) in the hope of bringing new interest to the project. We would be grateful to anyone who has any pictures of her from her RAF & FAA days, or information, history, parts or anything that can help us with her restoration and history. As well as our Facebook page and contact page on the website, we also have the email address xw268@hotmail.co.uk

I hope posting this hasn't broken any FC Rules, especially on my first outing and apologise in advance if it has!! If there is another forum that might be better to post this, then I will.

Hi to everyone once again

Stoo

nipa2uk

Post by nipa2uk » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this forum. I live in the Lake district (near ambleside) and we get a lot of low flying aircraft up here during week days :-) I'm really into aircraft and have just bought a 80 channel bearcat scanner to listen in to the pilots as fly over, the slight problem I have is that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing with it! Could one of you good souls help me out on how to set it up and what frequencies I would be best scanning. Many thanks in advance. Steve

neilc1983

Post by neilc1983 » Mon May 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi everyone.

As you all have posted some fantastic intro's, I thought I would have a go myself.

Im Neil, lived in Nottinghamshire all my life (I'm 31 by the way). I have a keen passion in aviation, photography, listening to the airband frequencies and until recently, decoding data to plane plotter. The first airshow I ever went to was RAF Waddington many years ago and I can recall the Rockwell B-1 Lancer setting all the car alarms off on take off. Now I am a little older, I take my camera along with me and get thousands of shots each time. I must admit that photography is a little more than a hobby for me as I have quite a few of my shots published in various places (not just aviation related). Last year I invested in the Uniden UBC3500XLT scanner and have entered in all the local frequencies (both civil and military) and scan these throughout the day and when I go to airshows or away on holiday. I use a Discone antenna with a pre amp and it does work pretty well. Im thinking to invest in a dedicated high gain airband antenna which I hope I will be able to listen to more.

Ive also just started to experiment with a USB Dongle and plane plotter. It seems to be working pretty good and I get lots of hits throughout the day. If anyone has any info they could share with me about getting military flights to show up, I would be most greatful.

I hope I can make some new friends here and learn so much more about military aviation. :thumbs:

Neil

tommy57

Post by tommy57 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:36 am

Hi all,newbie from sculthorpe,my house is in line with sculthorpe runway :D i have just got grecom psr 295 scanner wiyh radio shack dual band telescopic aerial, and am amazed at reception here,pulling in traffic control as far as manchester and cardiff, millair traffic reception here is awsome,marham, mill/hall, lak.hth, consby, all clear,also stanta opps execises and wattisham apace comms, gaining so much info from forum, keep up great work

capturedwings

Post by capturedwings » Mon May 19, 2014 7:05 am

Thought I better say hello, been a avgas geek for years all started one sunnyafternoon in a hangar at binbrook in a lightning cockpit then I was hooked, must have bee about 4-5 ywars old from then it has grown out of control joined the atc when 12 became aircraft recce champion every year I was there got in every uk forces aircraft for a flight then did my basic training raf halton to do a bit of trade traing on old tonkas and harriers. Came out medical discharge with my back,4hen civvy street for me.
not to worry I moved to york from haworth so I was still living the aircraft as we are on a mil path.
I live and breath aircraft, my ex and my girlfreind now so its like a drug.
so hi guys

Typhoon73

Post by Typhoon73 » Mon May 19, 2014 3:18 pm

capturedwings wrote:Thought I better say hello, been a avgas geek for years all started one sunnyafternoon in a hangar at binbrook in a lightning cockpit then I was hooked, must have bee about 4-5 ywars old from then it has grown out of control joined the atc when 12 became aircraft recce champion every year I was there got in every uk forces aircraft for a flight then did my basic training raf halton to do a bit of trade traing on old tonkas and harriers. Came out medical discharge with my back,4hen civvy street for me.
not to worry I moved to york from haworth so I was still living the aircraft as we are on a mil path.
I live and breath aircraft, my ex and my girlfreind now so its like a drug.
so hi guys
Welcome buddy! Good to see another fellow yorkshire man! :thumb:

I am also in the ATC and so far am the best at Air Recce in my age group ;) :roll:
T73.
Impiger et acer

RIP Len. Always missed. Never forgotten.

Jacob, 18.

welsh15

Post by welsh15 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi and good afternoon to everyone

Newbie to the Forum but not to Aviation . Not sure when my first interest started (long time ago)but probably watching Aircraft heading from/to Raf St Athan . Live in Newport and still get a fair amount of Military traffic transitting through , although not as much as we used to have . Get to see a fair bit going through the Bristol Channel from my office here at Llanwen Steel works .

Took up Photography 6 or 7 years ago , currently got a 7D with Sigma 150-500 for the flying and a few other lens for static etc . Will try and post a few shots when I get to grips with the site . Love using my Bearcat 3000xlt Scanner and just ventured into the world of Planeplotter . No doubts I will have hours of enjoyment out of the forum

Anyway cheers everyone , nice to meet you all

Dai Mould

SandyD

Post by SandyD » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi
Good Evening
I have used the forum for some info and decided to join in. Like aeroplanes love the noise and envy the skills. Leuchars closing is a pain. Hope to see some activity before the final departures. Hope to meet other enthusiasts there and at other venues.
Camera at the ready. Scanner tuned (hopefully).
All the very best.
SandyD.

Dunk

Post by Dunk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:12 am

Welcome one and all, nice to have you onboard!

Burner

Post by Burner » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:39 am

Hi guys,
relatively new here, from the Bournemouth Zone. :clap:
I find the information on here is outstanding and everyone is friendly, a great forum to be part of! Reasonably new to scanning aircraft, maybe just over a year, but you guys have been helping me listening to my first B2/52 :thumb:

Dunk

Post by Dunk » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:15 am

Thank you for your kind words Burner, and welcome to FC :thumbs:

ALHMOUD

Post by ALHMOUD » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:36 am

Hi all,

Just found this group after all of the recent activity at fairford with the B52/B2s.

I have loved anything Aviation related since I was a kid and enjoy taking pics of anything that flies, recently purchased a scanner so hoping the forums will be a useful way to help me set up and eventually I can also contribute to valuable information to the group.

Matt

Firefly

Hi

Post by Firefly » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi I'm Alex my username is Firefly just joined after lurking on here for ages. My interests are all things aviation and Photography.

Nearest base Is RAF Lossie which is around 40 miles from me. I have already met a few of the lads on the fence line.

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 am

A very warm welcome Firefly. ;)
Aviation - “You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.” :thumb:

Return to “The Newbie Forum”