Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Tartan flights and the Lichfield RC question

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
robg

Tartan flights and the Lichfield RC question

Post by robg » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:54 pm

This might be a dumb, shower thought type question, but always puzzles me.....
I don't ever recall seeing, on ADSB, a Tanker out of Brize going up through the Daventry corridor when heading for AARA8. They always seem to go up through the Lichfield corridor, and return that way, if they haven't been further north. Is there a simple answer I'm missing? That NNE leg always looks like it's going to add a load more time, distance and aircrew hours. Is there a simple answer?

Neil D

Re: Tartan flights and the Lichfield RC question

Post by Neil D » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:17 am

I don't know for sure but think the corridors start at FL100 and to get to that height I guess they would have to do climbing 360 turn a few times.

With airways join at Swindon and near to Cardiff/Bristol arrivals & depatures it may be too congested. If on twitter there is a good Voyager captain that is very helpful.

Neil.

robg

Re: Tartan flights and the Lichfield RC question

Post by robg » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:53 pm

Thanks Neil. The corridors are FL100 Max hight as far as I was aware of. But you may have answered the question in a round about way. I wonder if it is a weight/rate of climb thing? A400's & C130's seem to have no problems doing a turn or straight out to FL100 up the Daventry RC, but I would guess that a fully laden Voyager may need a bit more space and time.
No Twitter Neil, but might take it up just to hunt down those kind of people to answer my strange questions.

Return to “The Newbie Forum”