Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

A newbie question about Coningsby

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
Neil-PearlJam

A newbie question about Coningsby

Post by Neil-PearlJam » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi guys, first post here so thanks for the request approval, loved planes all my life as have everyone on here I’m guessing..I’m just getting into photography and been visiting the Loop for the last 6 months, but as you all know it’s kinda quiet these days for the RAF so after visiting Valley the other day and loving all the Hawk action, I’m thinking of visiting Coningsby to try and see some Typhoons in action..so as a newcomer to photographing aircraft are there good viewing points there? And I have a GX80 with a 300mm lens, will that be ok or is it not long enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Cheers
Neil
I Know Someday You’ll Have A Beautiful Life, I Know You’ll Be A Star..In Somebody Else’s Sky

Mark Owen

Re: A newbie question about Coningsby

Post by Mark Owen » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:25 pm

Mark Owen.

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Hi Neil. As you will be on the perimeter at CBY I think your 300mm lens will be sufficient. I see that Mark has already given you the link to the spotting spots,so just go and enjoy.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

Neil-PearlJam

Post by Neil-PearlJam » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated
I Know Someday You’ll Have A Beautiful Life, I Know You’ll Be A Star..In Somebody Else’s Sky

Neil-PearlJam

Post by Neil-PearlJam » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:04 pm

Mark Owen wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:25 pm
http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk ... ingsby.php

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Mark.
That’s brilliant, cheers for the help

Elodiemason

Post by Elodiemason » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:22 pm

From my experience, if you’re at crash gate 1 side looking at the runway, you’ll more likely get the sun into the lens during the day, that tends to be good for night flying :)

Neil-PearlJam

Post by Neil-PearlJam » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:20 am

Elodiemason wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:22 pm
From my experience, if you’re at crash gate 1 side looking at the runway, you’ll more likely get the sun into the lens during the day, that tends to be good for night flying :)
Thanks for that Elle :clap:

judgie1310

Post by judgie1310 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:50 pm

Neil-PearlJam wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:05 pm
Hi guys, first post here so thanks for the request approval, loved planes all my life as have everyone on here I’m guessing..I’m just getting into photography and been visiting the Loop for the last 6 months, but as you all know it’s kinda quiet these days for the RAF so after visiting Valley the other day and loving all the Hawk action, I’m thinking of visiting Coningsby to try and see some Typhoons in action..so as a newcomer to photographing aircraft are there good viewing points there? And I have a GX80 with a 300mm lens, will that be ok or is it not long enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Cheers
Neil
There are lots of good viewing points and very close to the runway as well so your 300mm lens will be good.

You can shoot through the fence at most places but it is advisable to take a step ladder for when they take off from Rwy25 end.

Niki

Post by Niki » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:04 am

Definitely a great base for getting close to the Aircraft.

Return to “The Newbie Forum”