Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Advice about Shawbury movements

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Shawbury and Ternhill here
Doughnut

Advice about Shawbury movements

Post by Doughnut » Wed May 05, 2021 10:21 am

Anybody willing to help with advice for viewing at RAF Shawbury ?
Planning to drop in a couple of times over the summer months and would appreciate some help.

I can see from FR24 that most days about a dozen helicopters are active around RAF Shawbury each day.
What is the earliest they usually start flying and depending on the wind direction is there a good place to stand and photograph departing helicopters.
Understand heliops and training varies with some aircraft departing to RAF Ternhill but what are the photo opportunities / locations like at Shawbury ?
Do most aircraft return for a lunch break and fly again in the afternoon ? Assume NOTAMs will identify late evening night flying. Any locals have a rough idea of these times ?

Thanks in advance. Paul

Arthur Tee

Re: Advice about Shawbury movements

Post by Arthur Tee » Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 am

Doughnut,

I see no one has responded - so here's my tuppence worth!

Helis are pulled out of sheds from 0800 onwards - with departures from about 0830.
If you're after numbers - the Acton Reynald end of the field s the best option.
Turn off the A53 and then after about 400 yards take the track to the right (on the left hand bend) - at the bottom drive steadily down the rough farm track (the Farmer is ok so long as you don't block it) - there is room for a small number of cars to park-up.
Other than that - it's down to the wind direction and departure and recovery gates in use.
To the West it's Pym Hill and Harmer Hill - and to the East it's Hodnet and High Ercall. They depart through the upwind gate and recover via the downwind one.

Happy Hunting!

Arthur

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Thu May 06, 2021 4:49 pm

Thank you Arthur,
A sensible "Old School" reply.
Only time I have ever visited Shawbury has been for base visits and storage hangar tours. I assume these do not happen now ?
Indeed is there a current list of what is in storage.

regards
Paul

Alf

Post by Alf » Thu May 06, 2021 5:33 pm

Arthur Tee wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 am
Doughnut,

Helis are pulled out of sheds from 0800 onwards - with departures from about 0830.
If you're after numbers - the Acton Reynald end of the field s the best option.
Turn off the A53 and then after about 400 yards take the track to the right (on the left hand bend) - at the bottom drive steadily down the rough farm track (the Farmer is ok so long as you don't block it) - there is room for a small number of cars to park-up.
Other than that - it's down to the wind direction and departure and recovery gates in use.
To the West it's Pym Hill and Harmer Hill - and to the East it's Hodnet and High Ercall. They depart through the upwind gate and recover via the downwind one.

Happy Hunting!

Arthur
Is that really the A53 you mean as it sounds like directions I use from the A49?...

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee » Thu May 06, 2021 9:28 pm

Oops - yes I did indeed mean the A49.

Wouldn’t be so bad a mistake - if I didn’t actually live in Shawbury!😳

The visits (I was one of your regular hosts) stopped mainly because the station got rid of the 53 seater coach.
Arthur

adderman

Post by adderman » Sat May 15, 2021 5:39 pm

Arthur Tee wrote:
Doughnut,

Hi all.
When they're dragging the helis out how many others can be read off in the hangars?

alex.photo0

Post by alex.photo0 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:32 pm

Doughnut,

Flying is usually 0900-1715/30 at this time of year. Shawbury website will let you know of any night flying. They depart in waves, and occasionally you will catch a pair. Sorties are all over LFA9 as well as at Shawbury itself for USL work etc. Hope this helps 👍

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Mon May 17, 2021 7:42 am

Thanks to all the responses
Paul

sschofield

Post by sschofield » Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 am

adderman wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:39 pm
Arthur Tee wrote:
Doughnut,

Hi all.
When they're dragging the helis out how many others can be read off in the hangars?
Zero. The vantage points are to the long sides of the hangars so there's no view through the hangar doors. It's a case of turning up and reading what's on the ramps, as far as I am aware all aircraft that are planned to fly get pulled out first thing and then they put them away once that airframe is finished with for the day.

adderman

Post by adderman » Mon May 17, 2021 6:39 pm

[/quote]

Hi all.
[/quote]

Zero. The vantage points are to the long sides of the hangars so there's no view through the hangar doors. It's a case of turning up and reading what's on the ramps, as far as I am aware all aircraft that are planned to fly get pulled out first thing and then they put them away once that airframe is finished with for the day.
[/quote]

Many thanks.
Will get there first thing then head to Valley for the afternoon.

Return to “RAF Shawbury & Ternhill”