Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

First time to Shawbury

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Shawbury and Ternhill here
Emirates

First time to Shawbury

Post by Emirates » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:17 am

I'm hoping to visit Shawbury for the first time on Tuesday morning and would welcome any suggestions as to the best place to photo any Juno's in the circuit.
I've looked at the map available through the viewing guide but don't know how current the info is.
Wind looks like its going to be south westerly so I don't if that means they'll use runway 23......if so, there appears to be no photo-spots nearby.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

sschofield

Re: First time to Shawbury

Post by sschofield » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Emirates,

Shawbury is not actually as easy as it should be, but it's certainly "do-able"! By far the best spot is up by the Runway 18 end, where the photo spots shown around Acton Lea are on the map. Drive past the main gate on you left, keep going for about 3/4 mile, then take the first left (signposted for "Grinshill" and "Clive"). Follow the road for a mile of so then take the sharp left at the top of the hill (not signposted for anywhere but shown as a dead end road). Follow that road all the way down, and you will see a house on your right. The road that runs down past that house on the right takes you to a crash gate (do NOT block, but there's plenty of room to park), which gives reasonable views over the (reasonably distant) ramps. However, if you continue down the road you were just on past the house along the rough path for about 100 yards, it then opens out and there's an area adjacent to the perimeter fence which gives good views and plenty of room to park.

As regards photography, because of the nature of helicopter ops they tend to approach from various directions, although favourite seems to be from the North and North-East, so you are in a reasonable position here, with the sun more or less behind you.

There are also limited views (notably of the Southernmost visitors ramp) from the road that runs past the Runway 36 threshold, but the above spot is by far the best, and best of all you are unlikely to get bothered by the authorities if you spend any length of time there.

Good luck!

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:05 am

You might want to double check but I’m sure I saw on their Twitter feed that they are night flying this week...

Pi

Post by Pi » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:03 am

Still day flying

Emirates

Post by Emirates » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:41 pm

Many thanks Stuart. Will see how I get on

reds1966

Post by reds1966 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:08 am

jimbo wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:05 am
You might want to double check but I’m sure I saw on their Twitter feed that they are night flying this week...
They were up late on Monday night as I had one over me at 200ft just after 11.30pm!

Return to “RAF Shawbury & Ternhill”