Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Previous Model Comp Builds - Gallery

Find details on our modelling competitions and how you can join in here.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

jamesv9820

Re: Hawg Heaven???? A-10A Thunderbolt II

Post by jamesv9820 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a small update today. Following the application of the first light coat H308 (FS36375) my attention was now drawn to the second and slightly darker grey used on this camouflage scheme. The second colour I will be using is FS36320 (H307) which is only slightly darker than the previous colour.

Before any spraying takes place, the surface is prepared with a couple of light coats of Johnsons Klear furniture polish. This acts as a varnish sealing the pain underneath to avoid any side affects that could be associated when (and speaking from personal experience) Blue-Tack and Humbrol Maskol go anywhere near my aircraft!

The Blue Tack is rolled into thin sausages and placed into the desired shape to act as a demarcation in preparation for spraying. The Maskol is added at this point and left for 30 minutes or so to dry. I have found in previous models that if you play around with the model while this is drying, it somehow peels the paint off underneath!

The model is now sprayed in H307 and then the Blue Tack and Maskol removed…

Also a quick look at the console going forward as I noticed I missed this before. I know I have a bit of overspray to clear up but this is a simple 2 minute job!

And this is where I am tonight!

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:39 pm

i like the maskol idea i normal use postit notes cut up in to strips

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:42 pm

I sued to use loads of Tamiya tape... if you can get on with Maskol it is good stuff to use!

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:04 pm

A bit of an update today, got quite a few photos to post on here, just tell me if I am putting too many on!

One the two tone Ghost Grey scheme was finished, The canopy sections were sprayed with NATO Black at first and then finished in H307 (Grey). The reason the NATO Black is sprayed first is to darken the inside of the canopy to make it look realistic.

The model is posed here looking very clean indeed but I think it is not starting to come together? The majority of the paint scheme has now been completed. The engine fan blade were painted by hand using a mix of Tamiya XF-56 (Metallic Grey) and Tamiya X-26 (Clear Orange) which gives a dull metallic look without looking too over the top. Prior to leaving over night, two coats of Johnson’s Klear were applied through the airbruch and left to dry.

We are now ready to start the decaling.

The Hobbyboss A-10A Thunderbolt kit comes with two schemes. Both are the Euro 1 Camouflage and not the two tone grey scheme I have opted to go for. With the thanks of Scott (Thunder) I used his references to use the decals available. One of the issues I had is that I wanted to use the “Sharks Mouth” on the front of the plane (looks cool!) but I knew that the EL (England, Louisiana) Air Base has long since gone and I could not find any reference of the aircraft ever being painted grey. A few cuts with the scalpel, and I managed to change the code “EL” into “FT” (Flying Tigers”) who operate their squadron with the “Sharks Mouth” on the front of their jets! Ok I know it is not 100% factual but it works for me!

The decals on the jet went on a dream with no major silvering, probably thanks to the coats of Johnsosn Klear that were applied previously before hand. It is also worthy to note that the airframe was also sanded back with sanding and polishing sticks to give a nice smooth surface. This is very important to ensure the decals adhere to the surface.

Detailing of the undercarriage and the dry fitting of the GBU-10’s! These were lightly weathered/dry brushed in a light grey to bring out the surface detail. The rear undercarriage at this point is only dry fitted and will be installed once all weathering is completed

Once the decals are complete, we can work on the latter part of the kit. This is the part of the kit that I look forward to the most. The majority of the weathering is carried out with MIG wash, and pastels:

You can see from the below photos where the MIG wash has been applied to the front wing section and to the side of the fuselage. This brings out the details of the panel lines a treat. Once the whole airframe is finished the pastels will be brought out to weather the plane further!

More to follow soon

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:02 pm

That does look good James,

are the mig washes wash on wash of or do the just brush on and leave like a filter? Ive been dabbling with the mig filters and they are great :thumb: I also like the pigments

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:08 pm

I usually drop the wash into the recessed panel lines, adn then any excess is just rubbed off with a tissue.

I plan to show how this is doen next. Hopefully I should have this completed next week!

benyboy

Re: Northrop YB-49

Post by benyboy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:12 pm

Just the gear doors and a few more decals to go. I might even be finished in time :D

Fentiger

Post by Fentiger » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Looking superb James. Like the tips as well which should be helping other modellers on here. :clap: :clap:

Ben Montgomery

Re: Revell 1/48 B-1B Lancer - "Update" Two.

Post by Ben Montgomery » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:20 pm

Back home now, and got an order in for more gunship grey - not too much I can do till that turns up. I'm going to get it all filled and sanded later, so hopefully it will start to look like a model! :lol:

Phill318

Re: Trumpeter 1/35 Mi-24V Hind

Post by Phill318 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Isn't this Bens model now Dan? The deal was substantial progress had to have been made by the time he got home?? :P
Blue Moon!

Touch_and_go

Re: Revell F-86D Sabre Dog 1:48

Post by Touch_and_go » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:50 pm

Cheers guys decided to spray it so ive got a few quick update pictures for you
Most of the little bits and bats have been put together but its just a case of putting everything together now and getting the decals sorted

Cheers
T&G

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:59 pm

Nice one TG,, looking forward to the finished result...bit like my own kits really :lol: :thumb:
Formerly Beer Monster

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Not bad T and G!! Looks sweet indeed :thumb: Good seeing you tonight albeit breifly!! :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:32 am

Just a couple for now,

Nearly complete, got a few more bits to do on it!

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:10 pm

spot on mate

bigboy

Post by bigboy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:51 pm

James,

Stunning mate, stunning.

Martyn :thumbs:

xl426painter

Post by xl426painter » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:55 pm

that is one nice looking tank buster you have there well done simon

http://www.mainlymilitary.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Cheers guys for the positive comments.

The aircraft itself is 999% completed as of tonight. All weapons are now on, the seat has the remainder of the PE added and its just gettgn a little more pastels on the jet and its good to go!

Got the base board just to do and that should be it!

Really have enjoyed building this one, cannot recommend the kit enough to people!

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:46 pm

sounds like i may have to sell the tamiya one and buy one of these

jamesv9820

Post by jamesv9820 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm saying nothing!

I hope the ongoing review has been of interest and useful to everyone. I wouldnt mind a bit of feedback as I do not mind going into detail if its of use. if not, i'll glaly just post the pictures..

Return to “FC Modelling Competition”