Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Ideas for future competitions

Find details on our modelling competitions and how you can join in here.

Moderator: Flyingmonster

viper3111

Ideas for future competitions

Post by viper3111 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:15 am

Hi all

As the current competition comes to an end I was wondering if people would like to do another and what themes (if any) would you like. I will happily sort out the prizes so they will hopefully be worth winning again.

So I open the floor to everyone:

1)What would you like the themes to be?

2)what scales would people prefer it to be (It can be for all scales if thats what people prefer)?

3)how long would you want it to run for?

4)Are people happy with it being in both beginners/advanced or would it be better with just a general one for all? (theme dependant)

As long as we get enough interest in another comp I will more than happily sort it out.

Monty

Re: Ideas for future competitions

Post by Monty » Sun May 23, 2010 8:49 am

Think we should have beginner's and advanced level, but maybe not have so many categories as this would mean slightly more competition. Might be fun to have a specific scale comp if people were happy with it.
Equipment
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 17-85mm IS USM
Canon 70-300mm IS USM

HighlandSniper

Post by HighlandSniper » Sun May 23, 2010 10:28 am

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Working well, start the next ASAP.

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:36 am

Ok, what about one with just 1/48 (advanced and beginners) and 32nd (advanced and beginners). I could then do 2 prizes in each, a 1st and 2nd prize in each catagory and then possibly a grand prize?

Hows that sound?

andyl1962

Post by andyl1962 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:53 am

I feel that the 1/72 scale sections of the competition are to restrictive.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon May 24, 2010 12:26 pm

andyl1962 wrote:I feel that the 1/72 scale sections of the competition are to restrictive.

Although I don't build 1/72 myself, I don't see how you come to that conclusion? 1/72 scale has the most subjects reproduced and without it you are greatly in danger of losing the Novice builder for starters, as I can safely say that is where most of us started out from. I also know a lot of highly experienced builders that build nothing but 1/72 kits.

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 pm

andyl1962 wrote:I feel that the 1/72 scale sections of the competition are to restrictive.

Can I ask in what way? I only ask as I want a comp that everyone would like to enter and that they feel that they could all join in on.
Im trying to do a model section that everyone can enjoy, so if people are feeling left out or passed over then I need to know so I can introduce threads-sections that every one can enjoy and use.

If know one tells me then sadly I dont know.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon May 24, 2010 1:10 pm

From past experiences on other forums and competitions you need to appeal to all that wish to enter it regardless of their build/skill preferences, if you don't then you are on the road to failure from the outset. Since this is a fairly small Modeling section you need to keep it very basic and try and cover all aspects of aviation scale modeling that way you will encourage others to join in rather than alienate them.

I would suggest 3 open groups

1/ Novice
2/ Intermediate
3/ Experienced

All groups are open regardless of scale/ subject/ build methods.

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:13 pm

Thats the sort of thing Im after, thanks for that :thumb:

Jonay

Post by Jonay » Mon May 24, 2010 1:24 pm

just a quick question here..

what if someone were to enter the beginner section, but their modelling standards were obviously much higher than that of everyone else in the same category?

would they get automatically bumped up a level or would they stay where they entered?
Nikon D7000
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS
Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
Nikon 80-400mm AF-S VR f/4.5-5.6 G ED N

View my pictures on Flickr

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon May 24, 2010 2:17 pm

As in any competition there is always going to be those that are better than the others hence why you get a winner.

I'm new to posting on this forum, but I have been posting on other modeling sites for a few years and it come down to honestly. However if someone happens to pick up a kit for the first time and produces something special then it's only but fair that they win that section after all they are a novice, the same applies to those that have been building for years, although they may not be very good at it they cannot expect to be considered a novice.

It might be beneficial to those organising the competition, if each entrant was to post a small history of their modeling experiences/skills/ methods and maybe even some pics of past builds if they have some. Although it is a competition the main thing is to have fun and if you get some self satisfaction out of it then you win regardless.

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon May 24, 2010 2:22 pm

Sorry about that thunder, I just deleted my previous post as It didnt read properly to me.
What I was saying was hopefully people will be honest and post where they feel most comfortable. If we feel they are better than the level they entered then with there permission they will be moved up. But as thunder says you may get someone who has just picked up a kit for the first time and then fancied entering it in our comp. This kit could be better than others who have been building for years (I know my nephew picks things up faster and better than I did at his age). So it is a bit of a tough one that we will adress when it happens.

Seamus

Post by Seamus » Mon May 24, 2010 5:15 pm

Can't say I agree with that either. I build almost exclusively in 1/72, and there is nothing restrictive about the range of models available or the degree of modelling skill required in this scale. I think you'll find a lot of people put off by excluding the scale.

Having just looked over the original rules, the only thing I see missing is the opportunity for 1/72 modellers to use aftermarket. Perhaps that could be altered? I generally build OOB, but quite like to throw aftermarket at the odd kit given the opportunity :D

Perhaps you could simply have 3 categories based on scale- 1/72 and smaller, 1/48, 1/32 and bigger, then award two prizes. The first would be for the overall best model in the category, with a second going to the modeller who has shown the most improvement and/or far exceeded their own standards? Both are difficult to judge as it comes down to individual opinion, but given the small size of the section, I'd guess you'd have a pretty good idea of the general standard of any participant. If not, then maybe they could post a portfolio of past builds, or simply state they are an absolute beginner or expert etc....

Starting to ramble now, but hopefully these are worth consideration

Cheers

Shaun :)
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:28 pm

Cheers Shaun

Im more than happy to have all scales and have a section in them for beginners/advanced builders if thats what people want :thumb:

Thanks for everyones input, keep them coming so I can sort out the next one. But it wont be just yet as I would like the group build to get going first.

aviationandy

Post by aviationandy » Mon May 24, 2010 5:55 pm

What happened to the 'Phoon fest :S :S :S :( :( :(

Available in all scales, & a good kit for beginners, intermediates, (like me :blush: ) & advanced :)

Lots of aftermarket stuff around now,for all the different sizes :thumb:

What do you guys think :S

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Dont worry andy, phoonfest was for a group build and is till waiting in the wings.

But saying that I hadnt thought about doing it as a competition, not sure what others would think?

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon May 24, 2010 6:22 pm

"Toom" feast :clap: Now were talking, any one wanting Dmold Intakes for a 1/48 Hasegawa F-4E/F/G ;)

Seriously though, a great Group Build topic but a competition should allow the entrant to build what he wants within reason.

:thumbs:

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:42 pm

viper3111 wrote:Dont worry andy, phoonfest was for a group build and is till waiting in the wings.

But saying that I hadnt thought about doing it as a competition, not sure what others would think?
Phoonfest sounds gooooood!!! :thumb: :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

andyl1962

Post by andyl1962 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:36 am

viper3111 wrote:

Can I ask in what way? I only ask as I want a comp that everyone would like to enter and that they feel that they could all join in on.
Im trying to do a model section that everyone can enjoy, so if people are feeling left out or passed over then I need to know so I can introduce threads-sections that every one can enjoy and use.

If know one tells me then sadly I dont know.
Sorry for the late reply.been working away from home.
What i meant about restrictive was not the 1/72 scale itself, but the 1/72 scale section of the competition.As not allowing the use of after market
products.(Decals.Conversions etc)
Regards Andy.

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:54 am

Duly noted,
So what you are saying is that you want it so people can use resins etc?

Return to “FC Modelling Competition”