Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Future of Leuchars - not good!

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
ArabJazzie

Future of Leuchars - not good!

Post by ArabJazzie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi all,
Another round of what the future holds, or rather not, for Leuchars. Its seems from reading this that my fears that, due to current and future Army cuts, there would be no Army units at Leuchars seems to be holding a bit of weight now!

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/News/Fife/a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ility.html

As the article mentions, the rumour mill is very much alive and well with some crackers coming out and some that could happen! 3 biggies, No Army no Air Force, 3 Squadrons staying or moving with Q staying at Leuchars!
Arabest,
Geoff.

trembler1

Re: Future of Leuchars - not good!

Post by trembler1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Political hot potato, Lossie wont close due to the impact on the local economy (especially after Kinloss) whereas Leuchars is close to Dundee and more job opportunities for the folks at Leuchars to find employment. As much as i would love to see Leuchars stay as an active RAF base, i just cant see it.

Bryan
Follow my blog

http://bwairimages.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Heidfirst

Post by Heidfirst » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:41 pm

trembler1 wrote:(especially after Kinloss)
Kinloss at least got an Engineer Regiment as a replacement unit.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Just keep the RAF at Leuchars, Typhoon for Leuchars, F-35 for Lossiemouth after the Tornado GR.4 has retired, surely there are a couple of bases they don't need in England.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 am

Yes there were. The RAF withdrew. Three bases. In the last two years. But I'm sure a couple more could go, just to keep you happy.

MacksAviation

Post by MacksAviation » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:39 am

Unknown74 wrote:Just keep the RAF at Leuchars, Typhoon for Leuchars, F-35 for Lossiemouth after the Tornado GR.4 has retired, surely there are a couple of bases they don't need in England.
When you get independance you will have all the bases you want but hopefully devoid of any HM Forces aircraft we will just reopen the closed bases down south and leave you too it :P

rafphoto2

Post by rafphoto2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:49 am

When this closure was first announced, I remember that one suggestion was that Leuchars was ideally placed as a regional airport - The facilities are vastly superior to Dundee, and it would be a boon to the golfers who flock to St. Andrews - all the time - not just for the Open championship.
It still makes sense to me.

BOLLO

Post by BOLLO » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 am

MacksAviation wrote:
Unknown74 wrote:Just keep the RAF at Leuchars, Typhoon for Leuchars, F-35 for Lossiemouth after the Tornado GR.4 has retired, surely there are a couple of bases they don't need in England.
When you get independance you will have all the bases you want but hopefully devoid of any HM Forces aircraft we will just reopen the closed bases down south and leave you too it :P
They'd get the Yanks in Dave with all that Whiskey and Golf up there the crafty Jocks. :thumb: :thumb:
http://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?phgid=SHED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LOADES
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... _entry=140+" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at last

What do cry when we see The Man With the Stick???

lmgaylard

Post by lmgaylard » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:18 am

MacksAviation wrote:

F-35 probably wont be going to lossie anyway if we have the 'c' variant..........well the Navy's will go to Yeovilton.......lossie might get all the f-35's if we change back to the 'b' because of the noise abaitment(?) rule. :whistle:
'its a lot less bover in the hover'

balders

Post by balders » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:14 pm

As has been said there have been plenty of base closures in the rest of the UK and bearing in mind the percentage of population in scotland is 1/12 of the rest of the UK I would say the balance is right. At least the military have kept a presence at some bases in Scotland. South of the border they have become prisons. Aside from that why would the goverment change any decision with the threat of independence coming in 2014. The SNP have openly said that if there is independence then they will kick any nucleur element of the RN out of Faslane. They can't have it both ways.

clifftopred

Post by clifftopred » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Hands up all those that are shocked....

Lossie is the next to become non RAF, they' (the lords in their ivory towers) are doing it by stealth, slowly but surely moving what they have to south.

Whats the betting on the good old Fleet Air Arm getting the JSF at Yeovilton, if we ever get it of course.

Remember you heard it here first!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm

rafphoto2 wrote:When this closure was first announced, I remember that one suggestion was that Leuchars was ideally placed as a regional airport - The facilities are vastly superior to Dundee, and it would be a boon to the golfers who flock to St. Andrews - all the time - not just for the Open championship.
It still makes sense to me.
Vastly superior? Exactly where? Only things where Leuchars is superior is navaids, runway and parking space! I have to say that the amount of golf groups these days is at an all time low for Leuchars and Dundee. And anyway, what will change their minds when most of the golfers go into Edinburgh because they want some capital shopping!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Jabba

Post by Jabba » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:50 am

clifftopred wrote: Lossie is the next to become non RAF, they' (the lords in their ivory towers) are doing it by stealth, slowly but surely moving what they have to south.
Rumour has it that 12 Sqn are about to be chopped. With 617 sqn in Afghanistan Lossie could be rather quiet this summer!

jakdaw

Post by jakdaw » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:23 am

I thought 12 squadron were packing up after we pull out of Afghanistan (2013/14).

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”