Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Osprey`s to Mildenhall

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
tc2324

Re: Osprey`s to Mildenhall

Post by tc2324 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Monty wrote:
gummyb3ar wrote:Thuis is some interesting news as missed out on the chance to seem them earlier this year and would this mean that both lakenheath and mildenhall would look to improve and and maybe grow could this also coincide with the return of some A 10s back in the UK ??

Regards gummy
How much space have LN got? Would they be able to fit a squadron of A-10's in?
Such a good question, you asked it twice.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, didn`t some F-15 units disband or go home recently IIRC? (When I say recently it may have been a year or two ago???? :unsure:)
74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

JOLLY GREEN

Post by JOLLY GREEN » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:53 pm

TankBuster wrote:Does this mean the 21st SOS will be re-activated or will it be another squadron operating the Osprey's?

TankBuster
I have it on good authority that the Dust Devils will return to Mildenhall with the CV-22!

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:57 pm

JOLLY GREEN wrote:
TankBuster wrote:Does this mean the 21st SOS will be re-activated or will it be another squadron operating the Osprey's?

TankBuster
I have it on good authority that the Dust Devils will return to Mildenhall with the CV-22!
Fantastic! :thumbs:

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:59 pm

tc2324 wrote:
Monty wrote:
gummyb3ar wrote:Thuis is some interesting news as missed out on the chance to seem them earlier this year and would this mean that both lakenheath and mildenhall would look to improve and and maybe grow could this also coincide with the return of some A 10s back in the UK ??

Regards gummy
How much space have LN got? Would they be able to fit a squadron of A-10's in?
Such a good question, you asked it twice.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, didn`t some F-15 units disband or go home recently IIRC? (When I say recently it may have been a year or two ago???? :unsure:)
493 lost a few jets, no squadron disbanded. You might be getting confused with the F-16's from Spangdahlem that returned stateside from one the ANG units.

I have heard the jungle drums saying some A-10's are heading back to Lakenheath for a TDY later in the summer (After Lakenheath's runway is reopened before anyone says)... Really hope the drums are right :lol:
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Monty

Post by Monty » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Now that would be good news, can never get enough of the A-10!
Equipment
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 17-85mm IS USM
Canon 70-300mm IS USM

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 pm

JOLLY GREEN wrote:

TankBuster
Thats great news! Considering the history that the 21st SOS has from its operations in the UK it seems only right for this to be the unit to operate the Ospreys in the UK. May the 'Dust Devils' return :thumb: .

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:22 pm

JOLLY GREEN wrote:

TankBuster
We already know this? Isn't that why the thread was started?

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:30 pm

PeteHemsley wrote:
JOLLY GREEN wrote:

TankBuster
The thread stated that the CV-22s would be coming to Mildenhall, it mentioned nothing of whether they would be re-froming under the command of 21 SOS

JOLLY GREEN

Post by JOLLY GREEN » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:36 pm

PeteHemsley wrote:
JOLLY GREEN wrote:

TankBuster
When the thread was started it was not confirmed which Squadron would be operating the CV-22 at Mildenhall (hence TankBuster's question). I was replying to that question (hence me quoting TankBuster's original question). Sometimes, I don't know why I bother!

blakey

Post by blakey » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:40 pm

JOLLY GREEN wrote:Sometimes, I don't know why I bother!
Looks like a simple misunderstanding mate, all info is greatly recieved on here old or new :thumb:

And thanks for confirming, cracking bit of news :D
Lee Blake

b0nd08

Post by b0nd08 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 pm

this might seem like a silly question but if the ospreys are coming here, why would that mean A-10's are coming aswell? :S

blacknight154

Post by blacknight154 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Excellent :clap: :clap: cant wait for the pics to start being posted.

[quote="b0nd08"]this might seem like a silly question but if the ospreys are coming here, why would that mean A-10's are coming aswell?

In reply to b0nd08's question and fellow FC's correct me if i'm wrong, CSAR (combat search and rescue). The A10's would provide top cover for the Osprey's or be know as Sandies. Lets hope this rumour is true, A10's on Holbeach weapons range bring it on.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:06 pm

A10's on Holbeach weapons range
Always sounded like a giant zip fastener to me when they fired the Gatling :D

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:09 pm

blacknight154 wrote:
In reply to b0nd08's question and fellow FC's correct me if i'm wrong, CSAR (combat search and rescue). The A10's would provide top cover for the Osprey's or be know as Sandies. Lets hope this rumour is true, A10's on Holbeach weapons range bring it on.
Holbeach would need a change of policy... The A-10's are meant to be banned from firing there gun below 5,000 feet on the Holbeach according to the JTAC i was speaking to last time they were here :lol:
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

b0nd08

Post by b0nd08 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:18 pm

thanks for clearing that up for me :thumbs: it certainly would be AWESOME if they came back here :D

blacknight154

Post by blacknight154 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Hi Nighthawke and Gary

Spent 2 1/2 fun filled years at Holbeach with A10's from Bentwaters and Alconbury, would be nice to see them back in action, if they were to come back, then I think the policy about 5000ft will be changed. One can but dream, think of the photos.

robbo

Post by robbo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi Guys

i was at holbeach open day this year and i asked the question to the RAF commander their and she said that they were banned due to new health&safety regulations
some thing to do with an incident that happened in the past to do with them firing at targets and ricochet's causing dangerous occurrences
but they would welcome them back if the issues could be sorted out

robbo

Reach1985

Post by Reach1985 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:50 pm

Great news on 21st back up and running! Its nice to have news of new aircraft coming to the UK - for the last few years all the news seems to have been aircraft being retired (i have to say at RIAT last year i never thought that would be the last time i'd see an RAF Harrier fly :unsure: ).

A-10's on the other hand might be a pipe dream - during the F111 days Lakenheath was home to four squadrons as opposed to the current three, i believe the old 495th HAS area is now home to the 56th RQS (of course i'm sure they could move but with only two UK bases its hard to see where they'd go - there is only limited ramp space), has there also not been quite a bit of building work at Lakenheath recently with rumours of F22 operability?

Added to that Spag lost a third of its F16's last year and there are now only two sqadrons at Spang, 81st flying A-10s and the 480th flying F16s (though i believe this sqn is bigger than the avergae USAF FS - i'm sure someone will be able to confirm whether i'm right about that). So unless Spang goes i very much doubt we'll see the A10's back on a permenant basis (alas). Personally i have always wondered why only a single squadron of A10s was left in Europe after the dispandment of the 81st and 10th TFW's - they have proved to be such a useful and important aircraft in Afgan, Iraq, Balkans etc. just look at the NATO top brass practically begging for them to be used in Libya.

Bilvo

Post by Bilvo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:28 pm

Reach1985, as far as I can remember the reason only 1 squadron of A-10's remained in europe during the USAF drawn-down of forces in Europe was part of a treaty that was signed. If it wasn't for the fact that they re-designated some of the aircraft as OA-10's there would be even less!! These are not considered as 'combat' aircraft, where as a standard A-10 is (of course!!) and they (the American's) agreed in the treaty to have X amount of combat aircraft left in Europe! I could have this completely wrong, so sorry if I'm talking complete BS :blush:

This was also well before they realised that the A-10 was so useful for CSAR mission's and close support and at that time they were still penned in to be withdrawn from the USAF's inventory - thank god they found a use for them and they should be with us for some years to come :thumbs:

Now if they did base them at Lakenheath... one can only dream!!

The Osprey news is awesome though :thumb:
Survival of the Fittest.

Reach1985

Post by Reach1985 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks Bilvo - i thought that might have been the reason behind it - it was the conventional forces in Europe treaty wasnt it? The Russians certainly feared them then! I did know that there were certain sections of US congress / defence who didnt think much of the A10 - seems ridiculous now with hindsight as theyve surely proved their worth (which you could probably argue they did in the Gulf in 91') in CAS and CSAR missions. A proper nuts and bolts aircraft - i think i'm right in thinking that they werent orginally fitted with radar so A10 pilots had to fly visually using landmarks and maps on their laps - the 81st TFW had to know huge swathes of Germany like the back of their hand!

Apologies i've gone a bit off topic.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”