Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Former RAF Leuchars old railway line

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Red-Eye-Knight

Former RAF Leuchars old railway line

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 pm

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the old railway line into RAF Leuchars was used for?

As my friend asked me the other day and I did not know, The only time I can remember it being used was in the 90s after one of the airshows but apart from that I have no idea what it was used for so any help would be appreciated.

Nighthawke

Re: Former RAF Leuchars old railway line

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:15 pm

I found a thread on Rail UK forum with posts from ex-RAF and locals and it was primarily for fuel supplies.

This should work without joining the forum:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/le ... ut.129449/

Also of possible interest:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/R/RAF_Leuchars/
Last edited by Nighthawke on Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:16 pm

This was for delivery of fuel I was told.

https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/R/RAF_Leuchars/
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

DavieB

Post by DavieB » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:50 am

It was fuel, back in the base's glory days.

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:54 am

In the 78 - 81 period when I was there, mainly fuel but the occasional wagon load of military vehicles on Lowmacs and I have seen the odd van, probably with things that go bang or fizz as they had the explosive stickers attached with nos 1 to 6. From what I remember, the higher the number, the bigger the bang. LNER A4 60009 "Union of South Africa" came into the camp on one of the B of B days, 1978 or 79 or 80, can't remember which exactly.
If flying was difficult, the engineers would do it.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:46 am

An air show with a steam train, sounds like heaven!

cj9ru

Post by cj9ru » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:00 am

Hi

As a local rail enthusiast as well as aircraft obsessive I can give a little info.
The line in branched off the main line to the right as trains passed North. It then went through a gate in fence and crossed the main road (StAndrews to Dundee Road) (there were no traffic lights I can remember) and went into the base through another gate in the base 'wire.'
As said it was primarily used for delivery of fuel but became disused as fuel was stored off site .

The A4 Steam locomotive, Union of Soth Africa, did (as recently discussed in Leuchars section) attend air shows in steam. Indeed as a youngster I got up into cab and got to pull the whistle :clap: :clap: :clap: ) It was then , and still is, owned by local Fife farmer Mr Cameron. As an aside currently it looks like this will be the locomotive's last year running as the owner intends retiring it permanently after many years of live main line certification. This expired last year and the boiler certificate expires end of this year. It is currently at East Lancs railway for a final chance for folk to get behind it. So, if you want to experience it get down to East Lancs this summer!

The rail crossing the main road was lifted a good few years ago but the line can still be seen either side of the main road and still goes under the fence.

In my father's time serving at Leuchars it was in use, in my son's time there it was no longer in use. Times change and now the runways are a heck of a lot quieter ..... :@

Chris

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:02 am

Nighthawke wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:46 am
An air show with a steam train, sounds like heaven!
Union of South Africa was a regular visitor to the airshows.

Have to say thanks to the person who provided the links earlier as following further links has answered a few questions i had about my areas rail system.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 am

You're welcome - I take it the rail forum link worked for you.

cj9ru

Post by cj9ru » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:10 am

Some info about the now dissused off site storage that replaced the rail link here
In fact work is taking place there just now, presumably decommissioning. Lorries etc can be seen from main road A92
It is on the other side of the road from Moffat and Williamson's bus depot. A friend worked on its construction and it was 'officially a 'sewage works' when it was being built :P
http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/index. ... SLinksWood

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 am

Thank you for all the information guys has really been useful and informative :thumbs: :thumb: :D

Finty

Post by Finty » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:08 pm

Red-Eye-Knight wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 am
Thank you for all the information guys has really been useful and informative :thumbs: :thumb: :D
Indeed. Despite being into railways and having travelled on the mainline through Leuchars two years ago, I hadn't been aware of the branch's existence until now. Probably because the trackbed has been butchered since so doesn't stand out on google earth and the only real clues are the surviving rails at the level crossing.
"Genny from the Bwlch"

352nd Supporter/ F35 Supporter/ Valkyries supporter

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:39 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:06 am
You're welcome - I take it the rail forum link worked for you.
Yes, and the link that has helped the most.

As an aside, i had a walk with the family in Newport On Tay today and part of that was along the old line that branched off the mainline at Leuchars, through Tayport, Newport and on to join the mainline again at Wormit and the Tay Rail Bridge. The comparison map is turning quite a bit of what we saw today into a better picture of what used to be, and what really could have help the environment today.
Arabest,
Geoff.

seafurysmith

Post by seafurysmith » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:21 am

The last time I saw 64009 in Leuchars was in 1990 and she was wearing the nameplates for Osprey. Some video footage is on my Utube channel at Seafurysmithpics if your interested. Hearing the whistle through out the airshow was interesting!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:12 am

Finty wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:08 pm
Red-Eye-Knight wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:07 am
Indeed. Despite being into railways and having travelled on the mainline through Leuchars two years ago, I hadn't been aware of the branch's existence until now. Probably because the trackbed has been butchered since so doesn't stand out on google earth and the only real clues are the surviving rails at the level crossing.
There are still plenty clues on Google earth, including what looks like some remaining track that appears to form a siding within the domestic side of the base. When some locals got wind of Network Rails plans to remove the remains of the track between the by-pass and what is now the railways boundary fence, a plan was hatched and the track became a feature of a small park area.

Another aside and we are off to scare the grandkid in another of the areas great old railway relics which is the Bridge of Earn tunnels! :O
Arabest,
Geoff.

22A

Post by 22A » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:28 pm

I found this info on another forum, which although not Leuchars, still airfield related;

Ballykelly RAF airfield, just a few miles east of City of Derry Airport was in the same situation before it closed. The runway was lengthened during WW2, across the railway, and the railway thereafter crossed the runway on a level crossing controlled by semaphore signals on very short posts, which can still be seen today, albeit without the signal arms. Trains there had priority except in an emergency. I believe it was the only place in the world where a railway crossed an active runway.

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:05 pm

seafurysmith wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:21 am
The last time I saw 64009 in Leuchars was in 1990 and she was wearing the nameplates for Osprey. Some video footage is on my Utube channel at Seafurysmithpics if your interested. Hearing the whistle through out the airshow was interesting!
It's 60009. So numbered by BR, by adding the standard '+60000' to its late LNER identity, when it was simply 'No. 9'. It still is, to many people!

In the days of Apartheid in South Africa, the current name was deemed politically unacceptable. 'Osprey' was the loco's originally allocated 'bird' name when new, in keeping with Bittern and Mallard, etc; I don't think it was ever carried though, before the new 'British Empire' name was unveiled.

bvs

Post by bvs » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:43 pm

We visited Leuchars a few years ago and had a quick shufti at where the branch line had been 'cut' near Leuchars Station,the 'cut' on both Rails was actually a double cut so that an 11 inch section was cut out of both rails,both bits were still lying there LOL - my other half is mad about railways and aircraft and she said ''can we take one of the sections home ?''
Well you can guess who ended up carrying that !!!!

RAF Leuchars old Diesel Shunter is preserved and running at the Fife Heritage Railway,Kirkland Sidings nr Leven,we saw it there in 2016.....

And indeed we also had a wee Cab ride on her as well :lol: ....

bvs

Post by bvs » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:47 pm

This thread has brought back memories of growing up in Fife - I could actually travel by train to Air Shows and not have to walk very far :lol:

Just a couple of pics of the old Leuchars Branch (2016)...

Taken through the fence looking south towards Leuchars Station

Looking South again but looking at the fence line and light 'buffers' where the lines were 'cut'

Looking North towards the Camp Entrance and road crossing

'Points' operating Lever (and no we did not manage to budge it LOL)

Looking across the road towards Leuchars Camp

Finty

Post by Finty » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:26 pm

Good pics those, I've just checked Google earth again and found those two sidings which I'd somehow missed before!
"Genny from the Bwlch"

352nd Supporter/ F35 Supporter/ Valkyries supporter

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”