Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Former RAF Leuchars old railway line

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
R1nger

Re: Former RAF Leuchars old railway line

Post by R1nger » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm

Oakington had a railway embankment across the undershoot of the western end of the runway. Pilots sometimes got caught out by the updraft when there was a strong wind blowing down the runway.
George

Remember that sorry is the hardest word - unless you're Chinese, then it's squirrel

Red-Eye-Knight

Post by Red-Eye-Knight » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:41 pm

bvs wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:43 pm
We visited Leuchars a few years ago and had a quick shufti at where the branch line had been 'cut' near Leuchars Station,the 'cut' on both Rails was actually a double cut so that an 11 inch section was cut out of both rails,both bits were still lying there LOL - my other half is mad about railways and aircraft and she said ''can we take one of the sections home ?''
Well you can guess who ended up carrying that !!!!

RAF Leuchars old Diesel Shunter is preserved and running at the Fife Heritage Railway,Kirkland Sidings nr Leven,we saw it there in 2016.....

And indeed we also had a wee Cab ride on her as well :lol: ....

Sorry about late reply, These pictures are brilliant especially the one of the train as I never knew Leuchars had it's own train so very interesting to find out and very much appreciated :thumbs: :thumb: :D

bvs

Post by bvs » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:40 pm

Pleasure R-E-K - glad the piccies were useful.

cheers/rgds B

Pesmog

Post by Pesmog » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:32 am

To add a small further snippet to this conversation. I was told by one of the 60009 long-term support crew that one of the reasons that the A4 Loco reverted to the name 'Union of South Africa' was to celebrate the owner John Cameron's marriage to his wife Margaret, who was born in South Africa. It will be a real shame that this loco will be retiring as I have ridden behind her on at least five occasions over the years.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”