Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Phantom XV408 lives on - Scrap rumours false

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
jaydean

Phantom XV408 lives on - Scrap rumours false

Post by jaydean » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:20 am

Heard a rumour that the Tangmere located (final blue livery) Phantom XV408 is to be scrapped with only the nose section only to remain. Apparently its in poor condition. Extremely sad news

Hurrican

Re: Phantom XV408 To Be Scrapped!!

Post by Hurrican » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:51 pm

Oh now not another one jesus

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:04 pm

That was the Phantom which was stored outside at RAF Fairford for a good while following its place in the RIAT static one year? In which case, I remember seeing how rotten and ruined it was just before it finally left Fairford. It's probably more accurate to say it was dumped at Fairford rather than lovingly cared for while it was there because of the conventional forces in Europe treaty.

tommc

Post by tommc » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:28 pm

XV408 is the very first entry in my log book.

Imagexv408logentry by Tom McGhee, on Flickr

BPAG

Post by BPAG » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:14 pm

Absolute and utter rubbish. That's according to the restoration team, who we have just asked.

The aircraft is currently in the process of being returned to 6 Sqn colours in tribute to former museum chairman David Baron OBE, who sadly passed away over Xmas 2020 (and who was a 6 Sqn veteran with time on 408 in his log book). We suspect someone has mistaken this ongoing work for something more serious.
Web- https://bpag.co.uk
Facebook/Twitter- BPAGofficial

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:49 pm

That's reassuring although I wonder why the need to repaint after the fairly recent "back to blue" project. I was beginning to calculate that more FG.1s would be left than FGR.2s
At least '408 served with 6 squadron (as L) before moving on to the OCU. I wonder if she will have red/white/blue markings or the tone down ones? Will they also change the fin cap and remove the ILS blades?

robertjon5

Post by robertjon5 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:31 pm

Hi guys, first post. came across this thread in a google search. I only live 20 miles from Tangmere in Worthing. I work for a food company and started delivering to the Cockpit Cafe at Tangmere twice a week back in the summer. and visited there soon after. they originally told me it was being scrapped as falling apart. well that was obviously false as it has been repainted in camo colours. see pics below.

not sure what is going with the gloster mateor though. its been in 4 parts now for last few weeks.

obviously they are closed at the moment for maintenance. re-open 1st February. below are pics from my visit back in June.

https://app.photobucket.com/u/chunky555 ... ef1ee2619e

ps. i am a HUGE phantom fan myself! :thumbs: :clap:

I BUY WHAT I LIKE AND LIKE WHAT I BUY

anthony martin

Post by anthony martin » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:15 pm

Nice collection

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:27 pm

Nice collection of toms Robert, word of advice try and keep them behind glass if you can - dust magnets. Welcome to FC bud :thumb:

robertjon5

Post by robertjon5 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:57 pm

roughcutter wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:27 pm
Nice collection of toms Robert, word of advice try and keep them behind glass if you can - dust magnets. Welcome to FC bud :thumb:
Thanks roughcutter. did think of that. but the extra weight! it weighs enough as it is. plus the top on the 5 shelves the models stick way out over the edge. so i dust every couple of months. i have since changed things round a bit. have added 3 slightly more narrower inner shelves above laptop. will update when i get some spacers sorted.
I BUY WHAT I LIKE AND LIKE WHAT I BUY

Fives

Post by Fives » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:25 am

Clickbait thread!!

Vulture 01

Re: Phantom XV408 lives on - Scrap rumours false

Post by Vulture 01 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:21 pm

Thread drift alert:
Storage of built models can become a problem if you stick with the hobby for a few years.
The solution that works for me is to use the vegetable cardboard storage trays from the local supermarket, and put them in the loft.
To remind me what I've got I take a picture of each one before they go into the 'big storage hangar'.

I'm sure others will have their own pet methods.

BTW:
Just to be pedantic, would XV408 have had the fin cap ECM housing when on 6Sqn?

Supra

Post by Supra » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:41 pm

roughcutter wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:27 pm
Good advice to protect them from dust, but use Acrylic (semi-rigid plastic) sheet of around 4mm thickness screwed to front faces of shelves with proprietary self adhesive draft-excluder foam tape between to stop dust ingress. Screws allow access to models for changes/additions. This sheet is cheaper, lighter & safer than glass! Since Covid came along prices for this sheet have increased dramatically because you see it everywhere as screens in Banks & retailing. If you truly believe the current Covid 19 threat ....OR its mutations will ever subside, then wait for the screen disposals. Me.....I'd buy the sheet now!

Supra

Post by Supra » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:46 pm

Vulture 01 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:21 pm
Thread drift alert:
Storage of built models can become a problem if you stick with the hobby for a few years.
The solution that works for me is to use the vegetable cardboard storage trays from the local supermarket, and put them in the loft.
To remind me what I've got I take a picture of each one before they go into the 'big storage hangar'.

BTW:
Just to be pedantic, would XV408 have had the fin cap ECM housing when on 6Sqn?
Reference your comment about the ECM fin Housing, you're correct that it shouldn't be there on this depicted version..... as first mentioned in this Topic in the 6th Post by by iainpeden ;)

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:11 pm

The fin issue is to be addressed when the correct parts are sourced. In the meantime the ECM housing will remain so a 'complete' aircraft is on display
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:35 pm

Vulture 01 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:21 pm
Thread drift alert:

Just send the wife away every couple of years and stick them in the bath!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ind ... nt-3845849

fox4g

Post by fox4g » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:33 am

I have loads of F4’s as well although most boxes got destroyed by Rats had the boxes in polythene in the shed big mistake. Now have big Phantoms and little ones and yes they are a dust magnet. Also have C130’s Corgi 707’s and and loads of Gemini and Dragon Airline. As I’ve reached the age of retirement got the Wife saying I’ll sell them when I’ve gone but 3 bouts of Cancer and still here.😂

raptor9

Post by raptor9 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:05 pm

Fox4g. Know how you feel. It was Starlings in my loft years ago. Destroyed my helicopter collection. Done the cancer thing too. Stay well.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”