Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Who Wants To Buy An Airfield?

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
plmc135

Who Wants To Buy An Airfield?

Post by plmc135 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:57 am

Being reported on BBC that RAF Scampton will be put up for sale next year. Any takers? Could organise your own air show :ninja:

mhm

Re: WHO WANTS TO BUY AN AIRFIELD?

Post by mhm » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:16 pm

Twill be a housing estate by one of the big firms
Regards
Mike

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:27 pm

Best use for it. The sold off station housing was awful, while the airfield was virtually unusable - and that was 10 years ago. (I knew someone who lived in one of those and work on the other).

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Wouldn’t it be great if someone turned the old historic buildings into a museum and aviation themed hotel? Maybe at the same time invite some aviation owners to move their aircraft to Scampton, like the Bruntingthorp jets?

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:22 pm

That's Hawker Hunter Aviation looking for a new home
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

quid21

Post by quid21 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:19 am

Shame, such a historic base - Some of the buildings should be listed and preserved as a heritage museum from their connection/involvement with the devastating but effective Dambusters raid.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:40 am

As people have said would it not be better to open a visitors centre on the RAF Scampton Site, as we all know it's a historic site, Think Dambusters etc. Also what will happen to a certain Dogs Gravestone? The other question I have is will they have to work around Guy Gibson V.C.s Office Room.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:02 pm

From an historical perspective much of what has been suggested was evaluated years ago; items announced and then they slipped by the wayside!

http://www.government-online.net/raf-sc ... ity-study/

Don't forget the current Save Scampton Campaign.

Plus as an addendum there's always this from 2004 https://historicengland.org.uk/images-b ... erisation/
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

sschofield

Post by sschofield » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:10 pm

Ghost from above wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:22 pm
That's Hawker Hunter Aviation looking for a new home
We went round HHA 3 years ago and they knew they airfield was going to be sold back then, but said they had an agreement to remain in situ regardless. Not too sure that is still the case now?

Philly1971

Post by Philly1971 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:53 pm

Could the BBMF move from Coningsby to Scampton, and become the first Heritage user based at a part private Scampton? I would happily pay to stay at a hotel on site especially if it included access to historical WWII buildings and the BBMF built in. Start adding some historic jets needing a new home and it could get a great new lease of life. Also someone once told me that the base commander at Coningsby hated the fact that the BBMF were there as it’s a front line airbase that should not house a museum with public access.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:59 pm

Not really as most of the aircrew are stationed at Coningsby and Waddington. And as I believe has been stated a lot of times the place is in a mess. As for the station Commander that said that, do you think he would wanna drive from his nice office to a semi derelict airfield?

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:00 pm

Philly1971 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:53 pm
Could the BBMF move from Coningsby to Scampton, and become the first Heritage user based at a part private Scampton? I would happily pay to stay at a hotel on site especially if it included access to historical WWII buildings and the BBMF built in. Start adding some historic jets needing a new home and it could get a great new lease of life. Also someone once told me that the base commander at Coningsby hated the fact that the BBMF were there as it’s a front line airbase that should not house a museum with public access.
Given that the station commander at CBY traditionally gets to fly the Hurricanes and Spitfires I suspect you may have been fed, and believed, nonsense!

page_verify

Re: Who Wants To Buy An Airfield?

Post by page_verify » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:53 pm

BBMF is operated by the Typhoon Delivery Team at Coningsby as well.

Vulture 01

Post by Vulture 01 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:06 pm

I thought there were lots of dubious chemicals, oils and other stuff scattered across the airfield during it's history. Add to that the odd load of fuel that went into the water table and you've got a big problem. On top of this, don't a lot of the existing buildings have asbestos in them?

Clearing that lot before trying to put up a housing estate is going to cost a lot. I understand that's the reason why the RAF are holding on to Wittering.

Please feel free to differ if you suspect otherwise.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:25 pm

so do we know when the Reds will actually move?
Comfortably Numb

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Vulture 01 wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:06 pm
I thought there were lots of dubious chemicals, oils and other stuff scattered across the airfield during it's history. Add to that the odd load of fuel that went into the water table and you've got a big problem. On top of this, don't a lot of the existing buildings have asbestos in them?

Clearing that lot before trying to put up a housing estate is going to cost a lot. I understand that's the reason why the RAF are holding on to Wittering.

Please feel free to differ if you suspect otherwise.
I'd understood..... but may be wrong.... that if the RAF exited Wittering, as the land was obtained from Burghley House Estate, a condition would be they'd need to return the land to the estate and restore it to how it was previously, which would be a huge (prohibitive) cost and effort. Happy to be corrected however.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:49 pm

i'm not sure if something applies to Scampton as the old A15 used to go across the Airfield before the runway was extended and the A15 was then diverted around to were it is now.
Comfortably Numb

reach1

Post by reach1 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Your correct about wittering as to scampton a red arrows ground crew member told me they leave late 2022 by no confirmation on where they will practice they re layed the runway service not long ago he said.

jagmadandy

Post by jagmadandy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:24 pm

RAFAT will move to RAF Waddington in late September 2022, to operate out of the Sentry hangar and Alpha dispersal. At this point all flying from Scampton will cease and ATC will shut for good.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”