Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Which ATC Squadron are/were you a member of?

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
romeo bravo

Re: Which ATC Squadron are/were you a member of?

Post by romeo bravo » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Still in as Wing Staff Officer in Beds & Cambs Wing, did my time on 51 (Orton) Sqn in Peterborough as their boss for over 10 years. Been in since 1994, never a cadet.

Prior to this I always cursed the ATC, they always seem to move in front of aircraft just as I was about to take a photo. Just wish we had the opportunities these days, Mildenhall Air Fetes or Alconbury!!!

HighlandSniper

Post by HighlandSniper » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:07 pm

chrisfg1 wrote:CCF..? Oh yes I remember, they were the ones with long hair!
Unfortunately you are correct - this was largely because around 70% of cadets in most units were there solely because it was the least objectionable (to them) option for that particular afternoon. Certainly in our unit the keen ones had regulation hair length.

I've got other camp photos somewhere, I'll have to try to find them.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:12 pm

"Camp photos" ,go for it HS. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Binnman

Post by Binnman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:20 pm

chrissytd5 wrote:lol :D this thread has just made me think the same thing and how difficult it was to walk to the chippy bent double whilst been castorated. and your trousers pulled up your legs. i can remember blacking out the first time i did a loop in a chipmunk belive it or not:blush: i never had to use the sick bag though.
Ah yes happy days. Was even worse when you're and adult WO and have Staff Cadets doing the tightening.

Thanks 12 AEF, I still get tears in my eye to this day. ;)

chrissytd5

Post by chrissytd5 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:25 pm

camp photo no2. iirc this was waddo. im on the back row just to the right of the pitot tube. theres some right dodgey berrets in that photo too.

Last edited by chrissytd5 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:31 pm

and I've just packed all my camp photos.......... :'(

GWJPhantom

Post by GWJPhantom » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:41 pm

2518(Flint) no2 Welsh wing, from 1973-1979 where i got to Cadet Warrant Officer 8 Chipmunk flights and my gliding wings with summer camps at Lyneham, Swinderby(yuk) Benson, and Scampton...................... brilliant fun!

Cheers Gareth

Binnman

Post by Binnman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:42 pm

All you lucky young 'uns. Nice shirts and woolly pullies.

Battle dress in my days and shirt with collars and studs!

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Are you sure that's 75 H S ? I only ask as that's a bit early to have a Tonka as a gate guard!

I'll come back with my tales of woe in the ATC
Last edited by beefsteak on Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

paulh

Post by paulh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:48 pm

paulh wrote:1980 - 1982 195 Squadron Grimsby.
Had trips to Finningley, Lindholme, Newton, Binbrook, Donna Nook and Cranwell.
Two camps - Swinderby Survival Exercises 1981 (have the photo somewhere) and Summer Camp at Waddington 1981.
Chipmunk flights in WZ856 (twice) at Newton and WG469 at Waddington. (Can remember walking out to the Chippie
seeing a Vulcan doing circuits at Waddo - those were the days ;) )
Then did my Gliding course at Lindholme in Sedbergh's and MKIII's according to my book.
Also one of the Squadrons duties was to attend the opening of the Humber Bridge.
We had to salute the Queen as she walked past us - never been so frightened as she walked past!!!
Happy Days :thumbs: Cheers Paul.
Managed to dig the photos out and scan them :thumbs:

Swinderby - I'm centre front row!!

Waddington - 195 Squadron - I'm middle row 4th from left.

Enjoy - Cheers Paul.

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Nice to see a picture of Laurie Hartley and George Bass. :thumb:

paulh

Post by paulh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:58 pm

GOOSE wrote:Nice to see a picture of Laurie Hartley and George Bass. :thumb:
Top bloke George Bass, there was a photo in our local rag not so long back of him.
He took me gliding several times and also remember washing his car for him at Lindholme one day.
He promised me a couple of extra flights in a glider if I did a good job - and he kept his word :cool: .

Cheers Paul.

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:59 pm

And is that a young James Thompson and Mike Lambert front right? Waddo shot :Wow:

HighlandSniper

Post by HighlandSniper » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:00 pm

beefsteak wrote:Are you sure that's 75 H S ? I only ask as that's a bit early to have a Tonka as a gate guard!

I'll come back with my tales of woe in the ATC
Tonka! Tonka! It's a Jaguar GR.1 which had only entered service around 18 months previously. :S

The Jaguar is on the ramp to the north of the Control Tower with the Station Water Tower in the background, things haven't changed much in that area of the base in the ensuing 35 years.
Last edited by HighlandSniper on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulh

Post by paulh » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:01 pm

GOOSE wrote:And is that a young James Thompson and Mike Lambert front right? :Wow:
The lad centre front - his surname was Harvey as well, his dad helped out with the squadron as well.

starfighter

Post by starfighter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:05 pm

5 Years at 1034 (surbiton ) 1972 - 1977 lods of gliding +flying ,
graet times , and i believe they now have a complete harrier on the parade ground.
any one beat that .
Steve :thumb:

Psi

Post by Psi » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:10 pm

111 Squadron for me. Camps in Waddington, Linton on Ouse, Church Fenton, Macrihanish, Gib and Germany.

Worst moment, carrying a 12v car battery to the top of the Cheviots on an outward bound thing. Best moment (other than a flight in CH-53) sitting in a German F-104 (which was leaking) at Waddo and watching the Vulcan's taking off, when two of the first A-10's into the UK buzzed the field. Hearing that howl for the first time was unforgetable!

GOOSE

Post by GOOSE » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:11 pm

paulh wrote:
GOOSE wrote:And is that a young James Thompson and Mike Lambert front right? :Wow:
The lad centre front - his surname was Harvey as well, his dad helped out with the squadron as well.
Aye, didn't recognise him, was it Ian? He wore glasses later on and reached FS iirc?

MacksAviation

Post by MacksAviation » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 pm

2276 (Mablethorpe) Sqn 1982-1986 Flt Sgt and Staff Cadet

Far to many experiences to recall here but the best camp by far was Easter Camp 1986 in Cyprus :thumbs:
Flying at Newton and that walk with the parachute :lol: Gliders (the wind whistle through the open cockpit) at Scampton and the pilot doing the dagger dagger dagger attack on NX611 Lancaster gate guard :lol:
Great times and also good to see so many other Ex Lincs & South Humberside Wing peeps here. :thumb:
Paulh the image from Swinderby 1981 I recognize several people and I'm sure the guy 6 from the right front row was in my squadron :)

Can't find the original scan of this Leuchars 1983 :(

Sheff

Post by Sheff » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:51 pm

I think I picked a pretty rotten squadron to join as most people seem to have really enjoyed their time in the ATC. 367 Squadron was truly bad. I knew more about aeroplanes than anyone else there, instructors included. The CO was only interested in winning drill competitions and the cadets were there for a lark - which was the only reason why I kept going. Aeroplanes were rarely mentioned. They had a Chipmunk cockpit section (and even that had most of the instruments missing) stuck in a shed but all the time I was there I never saw it brought out for examination. I don't think anyone even knew what it was. That was the closest I ever got to seeing a flying machine in the ATC! Oh well, at least we had the best ceremonial drill and some good rifle marksmen. Vital skills which I use almost every day on my way to Tescos...

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”