Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

The death of Fighter Control

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Supra

Re: The death of Fighter Control

Post by Supra » Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am

It is ironic in some way that this situation has come to a head at the back-end of a period when people have generally had more disposable time? Allied to the current reduced 'input' to the Forum I can only imagine the pressure that exists during 'normal' times. :O
Clearly, with the more semi or completely retired Forum members now growing one might reasonably expect that group to step-up...BUT, with age comes poor personal health, reducing longevity, commitment to caring for family/partners & a continuous round of medical appointments! :'(
In my case, merely posting on this Forum is close to the limit of my 'Tech' ability & arthritic one-fingered typing skills. :roll: The roll of Admin' is definitely a job for the savvy younger Generation to embrace IMO?
I'm very grateful for your efforts & the journey thus far, which will hopefully continue for us fossils who don't do Faceache, Twatter & Intsagranny ! ;)

POL

Post by POL » Fri May 14, 2021 9:34 am

Supra wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:29 am
Intsagranny
What you look at in your private time is entirely your business! :O :O :lol:

Supra

Post by Supra » Fri May 14, 2021 9:51 am

It's kind of Tik-Tok for the over-sixties! What can go wrong? :lol:

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri May 14, 2021 10:20 am

All I can say, is that Fighter Control is where I was first pointed to when I started this hobby (2014 when I was 17), and I learnt so much through here and help with pictures, where to visit and where not to go etc and am always grateful for that, especially the friends made through the site.

It's been a brilliant website and IMHO still is, but like MarkRanger said, you really notice a kick up during deployments for info, whether giving it or taking it (steady...) and it's not always contributed back properly. But, it is like that on most forums and even worse on Farcebook. Yeah, I've had my run ins with people here, my fault sometimes but you get that, not everyone likes everyone.

If there's "some" individuals who aren't helping as they initially said they would, then that's far from helpful. Maybe there needs to be a way that those who would like to Moderator and/or Administrate can register their interest somewhere, and help take the weight off the current backs support the website. Without a few individuals, the site wouldn't be as good as it is.

At the end of the day, people need to realise this: It's all just a hobby, and there is more to life than dedicating all your time to a forum. I can't imagine how much of a hard graft it is to support it and can only thank those that are still keeping it going. Hopefully, it is able to naturally pick back up, for it would be a shame to see it go.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 am

Apart from one or 2 threads in the last few years, i am probably guilty of being a non-contributor. In my defence though, i am now 3 hours away from my closest base, and my interests have turned to the fleet of 20yo plus cars i seem to have acquired. Work previously supplied a steady stream of mil visitors, but i cant remember our last 146 visit, Tucano are out of service, but i do hope the Apache return later this year! We did have an enquiry recently that would have trumped everything!

I do hope you guys find a way to keep this place going, and even put up with guys like me!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 » Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 am

(former Admin) Adam here.....

Firstly, a big thanks to all the team past and present who have kept the forum running over the years. Everyone who is/has been involved has done so as a volunteer, giving their time freely to help the forum continue to run for the benefit of all. The forum has grown substantially over the years in terms of membership and, as a result, the time implications have also increased.

From first hand experience, I know that it really can be a thankless task - moderating forum posts every time one gets reported (followed by a counter-report from someone claiming that mod's aren't doing their 'job' properly and that the forum is worthless - begs the question why those members still continue to be present if it is so worthless…), trawling through endless registration signups trying to filter out all the spam signups (and then getting sarcastic comments when one does slip through the net), dealing with playground style arguments that rumble for months and then inevitable fallout if the last resort of a ban is issued. Again, from personal experience, you wouldn't believe some of the stories that you hear from people when you call them out (if they started writing fiction books they would be best sellers!) and even the level of abuse that is directed towards the mods/admins when simply trying to keep the forum running - yes, members of the team have even had threats of violence if they bumped into aggrieved members at a fence line. All this adds up, and it does not only take a toll on the members of the team, but also the enjoyment of the forum. Sadly, I see the same happening on the vast majority of Facebook and/or other social media. I’m sure there is a saying along these lines, but ‘many are quick to criticise, few are willing to step into the firing line’.

Contrary to many popular beliefs, FC (and CA) is not funded in any way and, for the last few years, I personally continue to pay the bills despite having zero involvement in the day to day running. Whilst I fully understand Steven’s feelings (been there myself) I don’t see this as the Death of FC, it is an opportunity for change. Many people have spent countless hours of their own time to see the forum continue to run, free for all to access, over many years and that effort will not be lost I am sure.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:59 am

I think FC is brilliant, I've learnt so much over the past few years and met a few really helpful people, and even got my current job through a member on here. The admins have my sympathy, I run a FB community page and am a moderator on Nextdoor, the senseless sniping and backbiting that goes on beggars belief. I really hope it can continue, FC I mean not the petty sarkiness. I would volunteer but I don't have the time to do the job justice, and as said above these things always dwindle down to one or two people to keep things going. If putting my hand in my pocket was an option to help things along I would, within reason.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

mikemike

Post by mikemike » Fri May 14, 2021 4:23 pm

I hope it can all be sorted out .I have been unable to get out and about due to not having a car. Now I have one, covid has closed everything down . I will be able to get out and contribute again.
mike
I'm 74 and I have been retired since 2005.
I have been spotting since my first show at IAT Greenham Comman 1981
uniden 800xlt uniden 3500xlt
hf225 with a wellbrook active indoor antenna

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery » Fri May 14, 2021 4:25 pm

Steve's message was a well-deserved knuckle-rap for me, and he's quite right - this is the first time I've logged on in over a year (although this has been true of pretty much all social media and online platforms, not just FC). There is little chance of my circumstances changing such that I'm suddenly more active, but clearly there are those much better positioned to keep FC alive.

There is now discussion going on with regards to how to ensure continuity and take over from those of us who don't have either the time or ability to keep supporting the forum.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri May 14, 2021 4:45 pm

Been a member since FC came about many years ago , my username was Eagle1981uk then. I've always found the forum extremely helpful and I used to contribute radio logs many years ago when there was plenty to monitor down my way , my Yupi was always active! Admin ,Gary East etc have always done a great job of keeping the forum friendly and I do hope it continues. I've met many good people from FC over the years , in person and online.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

david14

Post by david14 » Fri May 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Just like to add my thanks to those who have given their time to support FC, hope things can get sorted out and that there is an easy mechanism for people who would like to contribute more to be able to do so

lardyboy999

Post by lardyboy999 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:16 pm

Like many commenters above, I've been on here since the early days - I was formerly known as darkstar back in the day - remember the first B2's at Holbeach? Man, the sh1t I got for that.........and to think that was nearly 20 years ago.....

I can only offer my sincere thanks, not only to Gary and Steve, but to all the various Mods and Admins over the years who've dedicated themselves to the cause entirely voluntarily.

Having "Mod-ed" on a forum elsewhere in the past, I know exactly what it takes out of you, particularly mentally. As a sufferer of a number of MH issues myself (which I didn't recognise at the time), I now know it how contributed to my own issues and if anything actually highlighted, in part, that I had a problem in the first place (there were other factors as well). I only hope the same didn't affect the staff on FC.

It'll be a shame to see this close again, and I hope it doesn't, fingers crossed.

Take care, all.

Andy

JASTREB

Post by JASTREB » Fri May 14, 2021 7:55 pm

I have only been a member for 6 years, but it seems a lifetime. I value your contributions, and if I can help in any way - I would love to.

Part Timer

Post by Part Timer » Fri May 14, 2021 10:50 pm

I'm sure most members appreciate the effort put in by the few to run this forum and quite a few like myself wouldn't know where to start when putting a site like this together. Quite a few of us don't have time or access to live movements due to work or locality so can not put anything meaningful into the daily posts but would miss the efforts made by those with the time to do so.
As to moderating members arguments that crop up, maybe a council of our peers could vote on disagreements with members called to duty at random in the same way a jury is run and those not agreeing to abide by the guidance restricted or barred, possibly difficult to organise and more work for the few to arrange though.

C24

Post by C24 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:24 am

Ben Montgomery wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:25 pm
Steve's message was a well-deserved knuckle-rap for me, and he's quite right - this is the first time I've logged on in over a year (although this has been true of pretty much all social media and online platforms, not just FC). There is little chance of my circumstances changing such that I'm suddenly more active, but clearly there are those much better positioned to keep FC alive.

There is now discussion going on with regards to how to ensure continuity and take over from those of us who don't have either the time or ability to keep supporting the forum.
Just taking your last sentence Ben, would it be possible to outline what needs to be done? Is it a tiny community/clique necessary to run the forum or would say, twenty bods ease the workload?
Is Fighter Control up for sale? If so, state/define the item and what price.
What is the role of each person that is required to ensure less stress on /time required by the existing staff?

There is more than enough skill, time amongst the members but perhaps many like me just saying “I’ll help” won’t cut the
mustard
Please define the problem(s) in more detail so that solutions can be suggested

Finally, thank you and the others for your efforts

👐🏼 🤡 🛰
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Skywatcher
Location: Under the approach to runway 27 raf fairford supporter

Post by Skywatcher » Sat May 15, 2021 8:41 am

Can I just add a bit here
If I can I am more than happy to help assist ,be it in a moderater role or a Admin promotion,you guys are all stars weather you know it or not
As others have said this is the best military aviation site on the web
Spirit watcher/BUFF fan/96thBS/420th air base Squadron supporter

Please like my Facebook page -Raf Fairford photography and news -

TeeJay

Post by TeeJay » Sat May 15, 2021 8:53 am

tommc wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 7:04 am
Forums like this live by the good and timely information provided by the minority of contributors.

Like most forums/groups the vast majority of people do NOT actively contribute, they just take.

If the 95% or so were purged off, would that make the mods task easier?
Firstly Thanks you to all those concerned with the running of this.

FC is a good source of reliable information, with some brilliant people here, there are a few of course that just seem to argue and contradict everything and anyone though, and maybe a three strikes and you off the forum rule needs to be in place, this would ease work on moderators for a start.

I kind of agree with Tom’s suggestion here, but not exactly purge off the 90odd% that don’t contribute, but put some form of regulation in place to say you have to log in a minimum amount of times a week/month, which would reduce the amount of folk that only come on when LN or FFD gets a deployment for a start, then also introduce a minimum amount of posts (contributions) a month (or even a year) to be able to either see the relevant heads up sections (a bit like for new members, so software must be available to put this in place)
A next step beyond that, if folk fail to log in/contribute for a long period their account is temporarily suspended until they re-register. Although his may actually make more work for the admin doing this, so that could be flawed.
I can appreciate the amount of time Admin must spend running this, especially with only two of you active. And you guys do a brilliant job.
Would hate to see FC disappear or descend into the low level of intelligence drivel that inhabits face ache.

Hopefully a solution can be found, as C24 said, would more moderators spread the workload, dealing with the trivial stuff, and I’m sure more admin staff can be recruited too.
But the request for this needs to be actively put out there on the forum, as to what is exactly needed etc, for the forum to progress forwards.

Trev

EGNV

Post by EGNV » Sat May 15, 2021 9:15 am

TeeJay wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:53 am

Hopefully a solution can be found, as C24 said, would more moderators spread the workload, dealing with the trivial stuff, and I’m sure more admin staff can be recruited too.
But the request for this needs to be actively put out there on the forum, as to what is exactly needed etc, for the forum to progress forwards.

Trev
Completely agree:

- Make clear to all where help is needed
- All who are interested can offer (send a private message etc )
- Current Mod's /Admin can filter through members who have offered
- Move forwards from there

Personally FC has been great for me, I would hate to see it go.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat May 15, 2021 9:31 am

If you look at 'The team' link at the bottom of the page then you'll see that Dunk has returned as Admin and SamP has moved from being a Mod to being Admin, so it looks like the issue has been resolved.

TeeJay

Post by TeeJay » Sat May 15, 2021 9:51 am

Mike wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:31 am
If you look at 'The team' link at the bottom of the page then you'll see that Dunk has returned as Admin and SamP has moved from being a Mod to being Admin, so it looks like the issue has been resolved.
That information needs to be (and should have been) posted by Admin, not yourself (no offence) and was exactly my point about them putting what is needed openly on the forum, for it to move forwards, rather than just all behind the scenes, and then complaining that there is too much workload for a too small team.

There needs to be some positivity to moving forwards, the original post from Steven seemed very negative, which is understandable as he'd had enough.

Lets hope that you are right and the forum continues ahead.

keep up the good work guys :thumbs:

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”