Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Leeming to house joint RAF/QEAF Hawk Squadron

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Red Dragon

Re: RAF Leeming to house joint RAF/QEAF Hawk Squadron

Post by Red Dragon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Kurnass wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:39 pm
Wouldn’t it be more efficient to move the RAF Hawk T2’s also to Leeming and have the Hawk training fleet concentrated at one base? Keeping Leeming open for just 9 Hawks seems to be a bit of an overkill?
Far more logical to have the Qatari's based at Valley as all the fleet maintenance is there. However the MoD beancounters make the final decisions it seems not the RAF.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

Kurnass

Post by Kurnass » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:45 pm

Alf wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:41 pm
Kurnass wrote:
Wouldn’t it be more efficient to move the RAF Hawk T2’s also to Leeming and have the Hawk training fleet concentrated at one base? Keeping Leeming open for just 9 Hawks seems to be a bit of an overkill?
Leeming has many non flying RAF units based.. it's actually very busy.
Didn’t know that. So I learned something today, thanks :)

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:18 pm

Kurnass wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: If it was be purely about that you’d move the 9 Hawks to join the 28 at Valley rather than the other way round, surely?! I wouldn’t call your statement efficient!

Google Leeming and you’ll see there’s far more to it than just the current hawk operation.

Reach1985

Post by Reach1985 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Great! Let’s get further into bed with a country that still thinks lashing & stoning are suitable forms of punishment. & I’m sure this is only the tip of the ice burg.

Honestly why can’t we as a country try & a line ourselves with something even vaguely positive in the world???

If the Quataris want eurofighters & hawks let em have em. I don’t care. But why can’t we just ship em there & leave them??? Send them a manual or two (in translation) & I’m sure they can do the rest.

Kurnass

Post by Kurnass » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:11 pm

“:lol: :lol: :lol: If it was be purely about that you’d move the 9 Hawks to join the 28 at Valley rather than the other way round, surely?! I wouldn’t call your statement efficient!”

I know Valley has many more Hawks than Leeming will get. But my point was that it seems a bit senseless to base only 9 Hawks there (I know now there are many more non-flying units based there)
Last edited by Kurnass on Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:14 pm

Kurnass wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:11 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: If it was be purely about that you’d move the 9 Hawks to join the 28 at Valley rather than the other way round, surely?! I wouldn’t call your statement efficient!
[/quote]

I know Valley has many more Hawks than Leeming will get. But my point was that it seems a bit senseless to base only 9 Hawks there (I know now there are many more non-flying units based there)
[/quote]

Understand, yes it’s a surprisingly busy and important base.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:17 pm

I think it's about time someone posted a guide on how to use the forum's 'Quote' function. :roll:

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:22 pm

Reach1985 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:04 pm
Great! Let’s get further into bed with a country that still thinks lashing & stoning are suitable forms of punishment. & I’m sure this is only the tip of the ice burg.

Honestly why can’t we as a country try & a line ourselves with something even vaguely positive in the world???

If the Quataris want eurofighters & hawks let em have em. I don’t care. But why can’t we just ship em there & leave them??? Send them a manual or two (in translation) & I’m sure they can do the rest.
I do think it’s far better to have strong relationships with these countries and exert soft power and influence, than do what you suggest. Always a challenge though to balance what’s good for the nation, for the defence industry, for foreign policy and influence etc.

As for aligning ourselves with something positive, we were for many years, but short sighted, self serving and less than truthful individuals sought an end to that.

FergiZA600

Post by FergiZA600 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:12 pm

The Qatari Emiri Air Force had no interest in Valley its as simple as that, the decision was made on the 23.10.20 when 3 RAF Hawk T2's brought Qatari pilots over from Warton. I got told they prefer the airspace around Leeming, plus its only a short trip from Leeming to Coningsby for the pilots to move on to the Typhoon. Leeming have already carried out maintenance on the T2's to get ready for the arrival of the x9 Qatari Ones.
Last edited by FergiZA600 on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:38 pm

FergiZA600 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:12 pm
The Qatari Emiri Air Force had no interest in Valley its as simple as that, the decision was made on the 23.10.20 when 3 RAF Hawk T2's brought Qatari piolets over from Warton. I got told they prefer the airspace around Leeming, plus its only a short trip from Leeming to Coningsby for the piolets to move on to the Typhoon. Leeming have already carried out maintenance on the T2's to get ready for the arrival of the x9 Qatari Ones.
Do you mean 'pilots' as a 'piolet' is a kind of ice axe? :S

Finty

Post by Finty » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Reach1985 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:04 pm

Nothing is black white. We got into bed with the USA during the second world war, a country with segregated armed forces until 1948 and Jim Crow laws until 1965. Not as bad as stoning perhaps but just shows how everyone has dirt on their names.
"Genny from the Bwlch"

352nd Supporter/ F35 Supporter/ Valkyries supporter

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:06 pm

In these situations money talks louder than moral issues. I'm not condoning it just making an observation. Historically England/Britain is far from purity. Anyway we've gone quite off topic so best not dwell on the humanitarian aspect.

toom317

Post by toom317 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:06 am

Finty wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:12 pm

Nothing is black white. We got into bed with the USA during the second world war, a country with segregated armed forces until 1948 and Jim Crow laws until 1965. Not as bad as stoning perhaps but just shows how everyone has dirt on their names.
I think you'll find the USA got into bed with us for WWII. We were already at war for a few years before they got into it. Same for WWI.
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

sschofield

Post by sschofield » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:02 am

Mike wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:17 pm
I think it's about time someone posted a guide on how to use the forum's 'Quote' function. :roll:
Can I quote you on that? :lol:

Finty

Post by Finty » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:32 am

toom317 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:06 am
Finty wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:12 pm

I think you'll find the USA got into bed with us for WWII. We were already at war for a few years before they got into it. Same for WWI.
I'm aware of that, we've all heard of Pearl Harbour. This is just nitpicking though, my point still stands regarding morals and how pragmatism comes first in such situations. After all, many Americans didn't like the British Empire.

Anyway this is still off topic. I don't really care what happens, as long as we see some different coloured Hawks in the Mach loop.
"Genny from the Bwlch"

352nd Supporter/ F35 Supporter/ Valkyries supporter

Vulture 01

Post by Vulture 01 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:39 pm

Surely by spreading your orders around like this, no one company can hold you over a barrel at some point?
Plus all the aircraft have subtly different capabilities as well.

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:42 pm

It's not a Hawk TMk.2 it's a Mk.167 ! 100 Sqn is going for a couple of years yet and I can only guess the 2 operations will be quite separate, the Qataris not part of the HIOS contract.

C24

Post by C24 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:22 am

sschofield wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:02 am
Mike wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:17 pm
Can I quote you on that? :lol:
No need for a guide with Mike on watch
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Tarnished1

Post by Tarnished1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 am

Finty wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 pm
EGNV wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:50 pm

The QEAF expansion rate is staggering :

From around 12 Mirage 2000's not so long back to 36 Boeing F-15QA Advanced Eagles, 36 Dassault Rafales and 24 Eurofighter Typhoons if all goes well.

Question needs to be asked if 9's enough..... They're going to need a substantial increase in pilots too!
Indeed, must be some corruption somewhere along the line but I'm willing to overlook all that for the economic case!
Whilst dealing with various ME countries, the exchange of "gifts" (also can can be seen as bribes), to secure access to "middle men" in key positions to influence the outcome of the contract, appears to be a way of life... Didn't qatar win the hosting of World Cup 2022 through aledgedly bribing FIFA? None of that appears to matter when it comes to economic benefit to another organisation.

Freeman Lowell

OT Re: RAF Leeming to house joint RAF/QEAF Hawk Squadron

Post by Freeman Lowell » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:23 am

Tarnished1 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 am
Whilst dealing with various ME countries, the exchange of "gifts" (also can can be seen as bribes), to secure access to "middle men" in key positions to influence the outcome of the contract, appears to be a way of life... Didn't qatar win the hosting of World Cup 2022 through aledgedly bribing FIFA? None of that appears to matter when it comes to economic benefit to another organisation.
All explained in Yes Minister 'The Moral Dimension' Series 3, episode 4. Currently available on the BBC iPlayer.
Freeman
Sometimes I talk to myself, then we both laugh and laugh.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”