Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Sky Guardian to Waddo

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
baz1

Re: Sky Guardian to Waddo

Post by baz1 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:30 am

DavieB wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:27 am
baz1 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:31 pm
yes and we have all seen or have we? these so called peace protesters/ anti vaccine anti lockdown and Brexit etc etc and just look how Peacefull they where, the police have better things to do.
Come on buddy, stick with the aircraft, let's keep your politics out of it..please! The site is *much* better without it.
that post was five days ago i have said no more!
Comfortably Numb

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:27 am

[/quote]

MoD have announced "the first activity of MALE RPAS, SkyGuardian at RAF Waddington is likely to be around 20th August , with the flying activity switching to RAF Lossiemouth around 10th September.

Minimal flying activity on Monday 23rd August, with perhaps activation of the TDA at RAF Waddington to just 3300 FT AMSL and full activation of it to FL100 from Tuesday 24th August onwards."

This suggests it would arrive in next few days, if not here already. First suggestions from 'the powers that be' were that it would be airlifted in, so may have been already to Mildenhall and be road-transported up here, for assembly.
[/quote]

I admit that I dont know about RAF procurement plans but the above statement does not make sense. MALE RPAS is a twin engine turbo prop surveillance drone designed by Airbus for the French, German, Italian and Spanish. SkyGuardian is the American MQ-9B, also know as Predator B which the RAF are buying to replace the early MQ-9A Reaper. It seems as thought the Reaper has the offensive targeting systems but SkyGuardian will just be surveillance ?

Also what airspace restriction is the TDA ?

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:32 am

I did wonder if the first bit was wrong, never heard it referred as that before.

The TDA is temporary danger area, which I guess will be advised by NOTAM.

Just checked and there still nothing up.

DavieB

Post by DavieB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:26 pm

baz1 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:30 am
DavieB wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:27 am
baz1 wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:31 pm
yes and we have all seen or have we? these so called peace protesters/ anti vaccine anti lockdown and Brexit etc etc and just look how Peacefull they where, the police have better things to do.
Come on buddy, stick with the aircraft, let's keep your politics out of it..please! The site is *much* better without it.
that post was five days ago i have said no more!
Fair enough :thumb:
Doughnut wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:27 am

MoD have announced "the first activity of MALE RPAS, SkyGuardian at RAF Waddington is likely to be around 20th August , with the flying activity switching to RAF Lossiemouth around 10th September.

Minimal flying activity on Monday 23rd August, with perhaps activation of the TDA at RAF Waddington to just 3300 FT AMSL and full activation of it to FL100 from Tuesday 24th August onwards."

This suggests it would arrive in next few days, if not here already. First suggestions from 'the powers that be' were that it would be airlifted in, so may have been already to Mildenhall and be road-transported up here, for assembly.

I admit that I dont know about RAF procurement plans but the above statement does not make sense. MALE RPAS is a twin engine turbo prop surveillance drone designed by Airbus for the French, German, Italian and Spanish. SkyGuardian is the American MQ-9B, also know as Predator B which the RAF are buying to replace the early MQ-9A Reaper. It seems as thought the Reaper has the offensive targeting systems but SkyGuardian will just be surveillance ?

Also what airspace restriction is the TDA ?
Probably similar to what's going on with Watchkeeper at Keevil - https://airspacechange.caa.co.uk/umbrac ... ument/2856

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:06 pm

Just noticed Waddo is open 0800-1430 Sat/Sun.

:ninja:

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:20 am

NATS updated there Yellow advisory on 12/8. . The pdf can be found here

https://nats-uk.ead-it.com/cms-nats/ope ... llow-aics/

Y 068/2021 which is the 1st one on the list, dates are from 20/8 until 15/10. Gives the serial as N190TC, which is the same one from RIAT, not sure how any SkyGuarians have been produced so far ?

Appears they don't want it tracked https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/N190TC :lol: Mode S A16907
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

SubZeroSteve

Post by SubZeroSteve » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:03 am

An interesting report recently posted on NavalNews.com Sea Guardian/Sky Guardian;

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... therlands/

Kind Rgds
Steve

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”