Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Foreign Airbases

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Snoop 95

Foreign Airbases

Post by Snoop 95 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:58 pm

I was idling time away (fairly common nowadays) on Google Earth and came across the Royal Norwegian Airbase at Bodo, which is situated on the coast just inside the Artic Circle. From recollection it has been used by British Special Forces and others for cold weather training and due to its location is strategically placed to intercept Russian ships and aircraft coming from bases in the Barents Sea area. I remember that one of the Blackbirds diverted here and after that became known as the Bodonian Express.
However, the reason for this post is that I could not help noticing the large number of dispersals visible. I counted in excess of 50. Maybe these are leftover from Cold War days when I suspect the base would have been used as a forward operating location for NATO aircraft.
Perhaps others could publish their finds of other overseas airbases as a thread.

DavieB

Re: Foreign Airbases

Post by DavieB » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:31 pm

Bodo was indeed one one of the NATO bases that received a massive cash inject for potential use as a Cold War FOB and was then expected to be able to accomodate any deployed NATO fighter aircraft. As I recall they also dug a huge bunker in an adjacent mountain.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:47 pm

Andoya is another Norwegian base that is far bigger than what the RNoAF had use for(over 70 dispersed shelters and pans). I don’t think Bodo had a cavern, but Bardufoss certainly did.

Karup in Denmark is another massive complex.

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:48 am

During the Cold War and in case of a real conflict massive deployment of mainly USAF Fighter squadrons to bases in Europe would take place. But also of USMC and other NATO forces.
These deployments were also done during many yearly (exercise) deployments. Eg. A full USAF wing F-15 would deploy to 3 Dutch bases (Gilze Rijen, Soesterberg & De Peel) during crisis and so during exercises HO and EG Eagles could often be seen.
Back to Norway, Dutch 314 Sqn (NF-5 and later F-16) would deploy to Norway, they were part of Northern Command.
Also RAF Squadrons would deploy to Norway. I believe Harriers and Jaguars (hence they sometimes had artic camo).

More info of units and command for 2 ATAF (North West Europe) here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_ ... _Air_Force
Can't remember or find the exact name of the Northern command.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:54 am

I'm not so sure the Norwegians regard them as foreign?

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:39 am

Bodo most certainly does have a underground / cavern hangar from the cold war era. It is located at the south eastern end of the runway. Currently used as storage area for the museum, long term plans are to restore it and it will open to the public.

Vulture 01

Post by Vulture 01 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:54 pm

Bodo isn't the only one. I'm told Bergen / Flesland has one too, as well as a ramp away from the main terminal.
I'd guess that, with so few flat places to build them, most Norwegian airfields would have some sort of military infrastructure
added.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:46 pm

I had a look at the Iranian ones a while back and spotted Phantoms and Tomcats.

Finty

Post by Finty » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:28 pm

iainpeden wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:46 pm
I had a look at the Iranian ones a while back and spotted Phantoms and Tomcats.
It’s quite good fun. I did a google earth tour of Russian bases the other night which included Erebuni in Armenia, home to the only remaining squadron of original Mig 29s in VKS service. It had been erroneously reported that they had been transferred to Armenia when in fat they’ve been stationed there for over 20 years.
"Genny from the Bwlch"

352nd Supporter/ F35 Supporter/ Valkyries supporter

STN RAMP RAT

Post by STN RAMP RAT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:37 pm

The Civilian Airport at Pristina has a large underground facility, the location of which is obvious when you look at the google maps image. https://www.warhistoryonline.com/guest- ... atina.html

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 am

The Iranian F-14s and F-4s are still shown.

Khatami Air Base on Google Earth you can spot the F-14s in the North east of the Airfield
https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.googl ... 337h,0t,0r

And a F-4 in a green and sand camo scheme at Bushehr Airport In the NE corner outside the HAS closest to the end of the runway
https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.googl ... 355h,0t,0r
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

Snoop 95

Post by Snoop 95 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am

Ghost from above wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 am

Khatami Air Base on Google Earth you can spot the F-14s in the North east of the Airfield
https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.googl ... 337h,0t,0r

And a F-4 in a green and sand camo scheme at Bushehr Airport In the NE corner outside the HAS closest to the end of the runway
The F4 at Bushehr is the only jet visible on the (huge) base and I wonder if it is Battle Damage Repair. I can't see when the photo was taken so difficult to make a jadgement.

Snoop 95

Post by Snoop 95 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Just been looking on Google Earth at the airbases in the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad of which unsurprisingly there are several; most apparently disused. First operatonal one I found was at Chernyakhovsk which is large and very well served by rail. Many jets visible, which I have to say i was not expecting. Another one just NW of Kaliningrad City at Dmitrovo again has many jets visible including some Backfire bombers. I expected that Russia would either not allow publication of their military installations at all or at least made some attempt to have them screened as other nations have done.

Finty

Post by Finty » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:51 pm

Indeed, could however be related to the deal that saw b52s being cut and left out on display for Russian satellites. If you look at Saki (Navy) and Belbek (air force) bases in the rather more controversial region that is Crimea, you’ll see quite a bit on show including what might be impounded Ukrainian Mig 29s. I’ll have to double check the image dates.
"Genny from the Bwlch"

352nd Supporter/ F35 Supporter/ Valkyries supporter

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:51 pm

Russia doesn't want the west to forget just how deadly Kaliningrad would be in any "activity" in the Baltic area. There's nothing nice or gentlemanly about what it what chooses to show on that enclave.

100arw

Post by 100arw » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:53 pm

page_verify wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:51 pm
Russia doesn't want the west to forget just how deadly Kaliningrad would be in any "activity" in the Baltic area. There's nothing nice or gentlemanly about what it what chooses to show on that enclave.
I am not sure there is any real difference in what is shown in Kaliningrad, to that shown at either Coningsby or Lossie.
P.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:11 am

100arw wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:53 pm
page_verify wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:51 pm
I am not sure there is any real difference in what is shown in Kaliningrad, to that shown at either Coningsby or Lossie.
P.
Correct - Russia wants NATO to know its piece of land in the European mainland isn’t full of bouncy castles and hot dog stands. I’m not sure countries like Poland want to be reminded that an adversary has a base like Coningsby next door.

100arw

Post by 100arw » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 am

page_verify wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:11 am
Correct - Russia wants NATO to know its piece of land in the European mainland isn’t full of bouncy castles and hot dog stands.
I think you missed my point, in that Coningsby or Lossie do not leave aircraft outside just to show Russia what they have.
Also, Kaliningrad may not be full of bouncy castles and hot dog stands. But it sure has its fair share, especially in its holiday resorts and tourist attractions :-)
P.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:15 pm

100arw wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 am
Also, Kaliningrad may not be full of bouncy castles and hot dog stands. But it sure has its fair share, especially in its holiday resorts and tourist attractions :-)
Indeed - it attracts quite a few sightseeing American tourists, although none seem to stay :-)

Sheikhy

Post by Sheikhy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:58 pm

Snoop 95 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:02 am
Ghost from above wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 am

The F4 at Bushehr is the only jet visible on the (huge) base and I wonder if it is Battle Damage Repair. I can't see when the photo was taken so difficult to make a jadgement.
That F-4 appeared sometime between September and October 2020

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”