Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Worksop

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
neilscott

RAF Worksop

Post by neilscott » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 pm

I'm interested to learn more about the long closed RAF Worksop, has any members of FC got any info,stories photos etc to share with me, I've looked at the stuff on the net via Google and some pic of the old runway, I did drive down the runway in 1982 long before i had an interest in aviation.
Reguards Neil :clap:

markmarples

Re: RAF Worksop

Post by markmarples » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:53 pm

if i remeber correct there is some stuff in Newark air museum's wooden hut about it, as a local i rember thinking i know where that is, ill have a look next time im down there

markmarples

Post by markmarples » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:54 pm

in fact i know a chap, joel who live in worksop who may know more ill email him

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:15 am

I’m currently working on a project about Aviation in Nottinghamshire, which will feature a brief history of the county’s airfields and aviation memorials. This is taking the form of an Aviation Trail leaflet, which is a joint publication between the Newark Air Museum and Nottinghamshire County Council as part of their Local Improvement Scheme – what would you like to find out?
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
The Museum will re-open on Weds 8th July 2020
http://newarkairmuseum.org

blackbox

Post by blackbox » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:21 am

As a child growing up in Retford, with an aviation mad Dad, the Meteors and Vampires from Worksop (known to many locals as Scofton) were some of my earliest aviation memories. Unfortunately I do not remember going to the airfield but our part of Retford was under the final approach to one of the runways and the distinctive engine noise of both types is still clear in my mind. One other memory is of watching a Meteor T7 from Worksop in the circuit at Gamston, which was used as a Relief Landing Ground - that would be around the mid to late fifties.

neilscott

Post by neilscott » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:06 am

NAM Updater wrote:I’m currently working on a project about Aviation in Nottinghamshire, which will feature a brief history of the county’s airfields and aviation memorials. This is taking the form of an Aviation Trail leaflet, which is a joint publication between the Newark Air Museum and Nottinghamshire County Council as part of their Local Improvement Scheme – what would you like to find out?
Just some history and what flew from there, and any photo's of the Meteors and Vampiers,
Neil :thumb:

neilscott

Post by neilscott » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:06 am

Thanks for the replys gents, :clap:

Flyingmonster
Administrator

Post by Flyingmonster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:26 am

Just found this...

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/W-Z/Worksop.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe of some help mate :thumb:
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:38 am

The following may be of help; there is some photographic material in Newark’s Archive but sadly I don’t have a photo account with which to post items.

Worksop

Grid Ref: Sheet 120; SK625815; 1 mile E of Worksop

Opened: November 1943

Squadrons: 18 OTU; No.1 Group (Bomber Command) Communication Flight; Night Bomber Technical School; Bomber Command Bombing School; RAF Central Vision Training School; Engine Control Demonstration School; 211 AFS; 211 FTS; 4 FTS; 616 (County of South Yorkshire) Auxiliary Sqn

Aircraft: Wellington; Hurricane; Martinet; Oxford; Tomahawk; Lancaster; Meteor T7 & F8; Provost T1; Vampire T11; Meteor F8

Nationalities: Polish; Commonwealth

Things of note: Often referred to locally as Scofton and was originally built to assist Bircotes with satellite duties for Finningley. First closed in 1948, but reactivated in August 1952 to aid flight training for the Korean War.

Current status: Officially closed in December 1960 and thereafter many buildings were demolished. Current existence of some parts of the main runway to be confirmed???

Circa 20,000 copies of the new Notts Aviation Trail should be available for distribution early in 2011.

Any additional feedback would be appreciated. :D

neilscott

Post by neilscott » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks for the replys will have a better read in the morning :clap:
Neil

teeonefixer

Post by teeonefixer » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Action Stations series, volume 2, (Lincolnshire & East Midlands) by Bruce Barrymore Halfpenny has a page on this describing the build, units and closure, but unfortunately, no pictures

BennyBoy

Post by BennyBoy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 am

NAM,

Being a Nottinghamshire Lad... I am looking forward to the leaflet :thumb:

Regards

Ben

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:16 am

Hi Ben, as I said above we’re going to be printing 20,000 copies of the new Notts Aviation Trail, so there will be lots to go out to the TICs; museums etc; we may even manage an electronic version! :thumbs:

Interesting to see you’re now listed from Nottingham – is that a move to university / college or were you always from there? For my sins I’m originally from Newark but have been on the edge of Arnold for the last 25 years!

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”