Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

FC Position During Lockdown.

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
big john

Re: FC Position During Lockdown.

Post by big john » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:02 am

The "wherever possible" is the get out clause. if the open space you wish to visit is not local then there is nothing to stop you, It's entirely your choice.
Like a lot of legislation there are get out clauses which can be used until they are challenged in a court of law and a definite ruling is made.
Which is how Cummings got away with his little journey.
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

markranger

Post by markranger » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:10 am

big john wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:02 am
The "wherever possible" is the get out clause. if the open space you wish to visit is not local then there is nothing to stop you, It's entirely your choice.
Like a lot of legislation there are get out clauses which can be used until they are challenged in a court of law and a definite ruling is made.
That just it though , Its a get out clause, The information is clear but because it does not specifically say , " You should not visit an Airbase" there is an opportunity to play dumb

Like i say people will see and do what they want to do and find a way of justify it. Its up to them at the end of day,

Mark.
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1
50mm F1.8

My Flickr Pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/markranger/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:12 am

markranger wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:30 am
Question ( England based)

Can I drive my car, or use public transport, to get to an outdoor location for purposes of exercise?

Answer

Up to a point.

The government says you should avoid travelling in or out of your local area, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. But it says you may “travel to exercise, if you need to make a short journey to do so”.

It says that you are encouraged to walk or cycle where possible, and to try to avoid busy times and routes on public transport.

So if you live close to an Airbase then technically some will argue that they you can go ,
If the airbase is outside your Local area then you can't

Personally i can't see how visiting an airfield is essential but some will say it is so.........

Simples.
But as the FC stance is based on a lockdown in England, we all accept and sympathise with the situation you are in, and i dont understand why brought it in here when the thread is clearly about Scotland and NI.

However, up here in Scotland, we are in a Tier system, and while i am choosing not to bend the rules being in a Tier 3 area, there are people who are able to legitimately visit airfields and take pictures having travelled a distance to do so. There is also people local to Prestwick who are in Tier 3 that can justifiably make visits to catch the many military moves. And it will be a sad day if it happens, but my work may have to handle an A400 and i would like to document and share this if it did happen.
Stay Safe.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:18 am

markranger wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:10 am
big john wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:02 am
That just it though , Its a get out clause, The information is clear but because it does not specifically say , " You should not visit an Airbase" there is an opportunity to play dumb

Like i say people will see and do what they want to do and find a way of justify it. Its up to them at the end of day,

Mark.
I have not looked at the specific rules doon sooth as they dont affect me, but i understand you cannot play Dumb in England, unless the travel restrictions are not the same as in the first lockdown. But Scotland are under a different system for which Scottish based people are quite legitimately seeking clarification.
Stay Safe.

tim_raper

Post by tim_raper » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:09 pm

keep it simple, no posts, no question, delete and ban.
Do what you should for the benefit or everyone, not what you can get away with.
Mods don't have time to faff about determining which part of the UK you're from, where you travelled from or what tier you're in forflipsake

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:53 pm

np1991 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:54 pm
I've asked the question in the staff section, waiting a reply.
Personally until wee Nippy in Edinburgh puts us into Lockdown then we should be ok to post as normal but that's my opinion.
How did you get on with the replies from the other staff, Niall?

Will the Lossiemouth locals still be banned if they post photos from Lossiemouth during the lockdown in England?

And do the new rules include logs being posted from military bases, are they still OK?

np1991

Post by np1991 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Still waiting..............
Cheers Niall

Nikon D7200
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon 300mm f2.8
Nikon 18-140mm

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59398793@N03/

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:14 pm

There's only 14 members of staff, it shouldn't take them long to decide.

RJ79

Post by RJ79 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:42 pm

There might be postal votes included Mike, could be days yet! :D
Cheers,

Rob

Nikon D60
Nikon 18-55mm lens
Tamron 70-300mm lens
Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt Scanner

daggerfan

Post by daggerfan » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:47 pm

tim_raper wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:09 pm
Mods don't have time to faff about determining which part of the UK you're from, where you travelled from or what tier you're in forflipsake
I don't see that there is that much to determine. Since there are only four countries in the UK it should be obvious where a post has come from, and if that country is in lockdown then you simply delete that post. And which tier you are in shouldn't make a blind bit of difference if your whole country is in lockdown.

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:23 pm

Or how about people who work at airfields?? Most of my photo ops this year have come while I have been working because unlike most summers I actually had time due to flight schedules being so light to actually use my camera for the little increase in military traffic we have seen this year?

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:29 pm

Calm down.... its only a hobby.

The weather is quite likely to be poor now too.

Think of it as a months holiday!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:19 pm

tim_raper wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:09 pm
keep it simple, no posts, no question, delete and ban.
Do what you should for the benefit or everyone, not what you can get away with.
But why should the guys at Lossie have to take a ban when they are not restricted in what they do? For my benefit, i would like to see photos from there, as i would for Coningsby, Marham, Lakenheath and Mildenhall if the roles had been reversed. And Its hardly rocket science to tell where photos are taken if its in the title.
Stay Safe.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:23 am

I don't know who the 14 members of staff are? I assume it doesn't include unpaid moderators.

From a mods ( and member's) point of view the rules are the rules - the list owners are the only pertinent group who can answer your queries and change the rules.

You can in Scotland I assume still go out and take your pictures, I am not au fait with the current ever changing regulations so perhaps it is easier to say no photos and no logs until the decision is reviewed on 2/12 - less than a month away.

( As in the England there must be an ever growing number of Facebook groups that will turn a blind eye to photos !)

C24

Post by C24 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:45 am

G’day FCers, sun shining today, lockdown again to add to my Shielding regime. CT scan due this month, too. A fun month ahead.

My thanks to the FC owners/moderators for providing opportunities to reach out for a hobby of mine.

I love this thread, to which I should not contribute...

Post your picture and suffer the consequences.

Best wishes to all the Wuzzers contributing to the propagation of COVID, may your conscience be your guide :)

That’s it then, off into the sunset. Ah but I cannot, it’s not essential travel ;)

Later, edited Sunday..

Apparently there is a double “s”in wuss, not “z”. Correction courtesy of the American side of the family. G... bless ‘em!

...and the majority of the western world breathed a combined sigh of relief 🐘 🕊
Last edited by C24 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:02 am

If all we are going to get is arguments for the next 4 weeks, perhaps the best thing would be to furlough FC and claim compensation from HMG. :ninja:

vulcanxl425

Post by vulcanxl425 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:31 am

In Scotland we are on different levels (not lockdown) and are advised by First Minister not to travel unless necessary to other health board areas . The vast majority of people staying in the Central Belt with regions in level three. The only significant military airfield in Scotland is Lossiemouth which is classed low at level one. Until we are advised of travel restrictions in this area I cannot see why local people shouldn't continue to exercise their hobby/interest by posting photos and logs
Al

" Thoir an Aire - Be Always Alert "

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:53 am

Just lock the Current Military Photography section and this thread until the lockdown ends... Simple!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_holt_photography/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:01 am

vulcanxl425 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:31 am
In Scotland we are on different levels (not lockdown) and are advised by First Minister not to travel unless necessary to other health board areas . The vast majority of people staying in the Central Belt with regions in level three. The only significant military airfield in Scotland is Lossiemouth which is classed low at level one. Until we are advised of travel restrictions in this area I cannot see why local people shouldn't continue to exercise their hobby/interest by posting photos and logs
But it would have to be taken on trust that the photographer was local to Lossimouth - a moderator can't know if I for example ( and I would not to do this - just an illustration) have not travelled from Norfolk up to Lossimouth? As not everyone has a location in their profile.

You can still post pics from before the 5/11

(I can see this thread being deleted as is it not up for discussion by non administration - I am just replying out of courtesy not that anyone cares what I think! :) )

Gary

Post by Gary » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:31 am

Mark wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:53 am
Just lock the Current Military Photography section and this thread until the lockdown ends... Simple!!
Could be an idea Mark

As I was the one who reposted the lockdown info. As far as I'm concerned and it still need to actually discuss it in the staff area. The ban on photos should remain. I'm sure people can wait to see another photo of a Typhoon.

I work for a haulage company, so will be working the whole lockdown, keeping the panic buyers with enough products :lol: . I don't want to spend my day's off or free time during my shift pattern ( 12 hour shifts). Looking at reported posts. So for the forum and the staff, it would be easier to have the same policy for all parts.

The rules cover the whole forum, they don't say geographical area may do what they want

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”