Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Spotting during the pandemic

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
STORMO

Re: Spotting during the pandemic

Post by STORMO » Fri May 15, 2020 4:26 pm

Just returned from a morning out at my local. RAF Shawbury. I know its not like the end of the runway at Lakenheath but its a 45 minute drive from Stoke.
Parked at the end of the runway and enjoyed the time I had there just the wife and I.
Managed a few shots of the Juno's and then returned home safe and sound.
If you go to your local airbase just be mindful of other people and take care.
Ciao STORMO

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Fri May 15, 2020 4:46 pm

I saw a car parked at the (mildenhall) mound today on my way home from work....It's the first car I've seen parked there for weeks.
(also a spotter on a bike there too)
I guess it's their call? Personally I can't see any harm in it. I've had to work full time since this all started, I just try to keep away from people as much as I can, although that's normal behavior for me.
Dave.

Tooks

Post by Tooks » Fri May 15, 2020 6:51 pm

Dave934 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:46 pm
I saw a car parked at the (mildenhall) mound today on my way home from work....It's the first car I've seen parked there for weeks.
(also a spotter on a bike there too)
I guess it's their call? Personally I can't see any harm in it. I've had to work full time since this all started, I just try to keep away from people as much as I can, although that's normal behavior for me.
Dave.
I’m with you there Dave, on the working thing as well as the social distancing being normal for me. Turns out I’m quite anti social! :-D

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri May 15, 2020 8:54 pm

Being anti-social rocks!!! 😊
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 pm

I think all of us anti-social people should have a get together... :thumbs:
Dave.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Fri May 15, 2020 9:32 pm

Dave934 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 pm
I think all of us anti-social people should have a get together... :thumbs:
Dave.
With or without pink chairs?

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Fri May 15, 2020 9:59 pm

[/quote]

With or without pink chairs?
[/quote]

Firstly....your not allowed !!! (blame your government) :clap:
Secondly...I will be selling pink chairs and bags of litter...we'll meet up at the forest entrance !!
Dave. :thumbs:

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri May 15, 2020 10:08 pm

What have I started with the pink chair... :O :lol:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

filmman

Post by filmman » Sat May 16, 2020 3:07 pm

The R number is a sort of educated guess,it's area will also contain hot and cold spots. It's current value relates to the past. If it actually goes up you can't know for several days. It's policy use is like driving and when turn the steering wheel at a corner continuing straight on and actually turning after you have departed from the road; and possibly life. The Government wants to restart the Economy. Younger people's interest might be business as usual, older people's survival; but we all age and some will develop risky health conditions. The Governments track record sucks. Let's be blunt, despite carnage abroad, lockdown/testing too late, it relied on imported PPE instead of also making it and despite the SPiN I am convinced they abandond care homes, either through ignorance or forlorn hope.
In my area, London, the R number dramatically rose and fell because we are a major travel/tourist/commuting hub. Before lockdown individuals were already taking precautions. I was not the only one who couldn't understand why big sporting events contiued - Italian football fans flying into Liverpool!
So if you want to return to "new normality"as soon as possible you will, it appears, have to be more careful than the Government.
I am sorry to say that until we get a vaccine and effective treatments, no vaccine works 100%, we will need to be very careful; avoiding spotter crowds amongst other things. Have a good, safe enjoyable day.
PS be pleasantly surprised if nurses, etc get a permanent pay rise.
Filmman

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:06 pm

Wel said Filmman. I haven't taken any risks & certainly will not even when lockdown in Wales is raised
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

Tooks

Post by Tooks » Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 am

I’m not sure the politics of the pandemic should come into it on an aircraft spotting forum, but hey ho.

The bottom line is you are responsible for your own actions, which should be based on your own personal circumstances, whilst of course staying within the rules and laws for whatever part of the country you’re in. After that, what you feel happy doing, or not, is down to you.

I’ve worked throughout this pandemic and I’ve attended work at the base where I’m stationed frequently, and on reflection they are both things that I’m grateful for. The fences haven’t been full of people spotting or taking photographs, so most people have indeed complied to the letter. Now that things are opening up slightly, there is no reason at all why you shouldn’t take a little trip out, as long as you observe the rules still in place.

You shouldn’t feel ashamed to want to go out, although I accept that people might be very nervous about it. If you have any health reasons why you shouldn’t go out though, then of course you shouldn’t.

My father has limited time left after suffering from Cancer, it was interesting to see in his shielding letter that although they recommended he should stay in full stop, they also recognised that he may choose to not spend whatever time he has left staring at four walls. People are still people, and we are still ‘free’ even within the ongoing restrictions.

Lets not start shaming people, let’s just be sensible and stay safe. If the latter for you means staying at home, then fair enough, but we shouldn’t try to force our own decisions onto others.

Kurnass

Post by Kurnass » Sun May 17, 2020 10:17 am

“Lets not start shaming people, let’s just be sensible and stay safe. If the latter for you means staying at home, then fair enough, but we shouldn’t try to force our own decisions onto others.”

I could not have said it any better than this

skippyscage

Post by skippyscage » Sun May 17, 2020 3:16 pm

Tooks wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 am
I’m not sure the politics of the pandemic should come into it on an aircraft spotting forum, but hey ho.

The bottom line is you are responsible for your own actions, which should be based on your own personal circumstances, whilst of course staying within the rules and laws for whatever part of the country you’re in. After that, what you feel happy doing, or not, is down to you.

I’ve worked throughout this pandemic and I’ve attended work at the base where I’m stationed frequently, and on reflection they are both things that I’m grateful for. The fences haven’t been full of people spotting or taking photographs, so most people have indeed complied to the letter. Now that things are opening up slightly, there is no reason at all why you shouldn’t take a little trip out, as long as you observe the rules still in place.

You shouldn’t feel ashamed to want to go out, although I accept that people might be very nervous about it. If you have any health reasons why you shouldn’t go out though, then of course you shouldn’t.

My father has limited time left after suffering from Cancer, it was interesting to see in his shielding letter that although they recommended he should stay in full stop, they also recognised that he may choose to not spend whatever time he has left staring at four walls. People are still people, and we are still ‘free’ even within the ongoing restrictions.

Lets not start shaming people, let’s just be sensible and stay safe. If the latter for you means staying at home, then fair enough, but we shouldn’t try to force our own decisions onto others.
the most sensible and level headed comment on this whole thread

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Sun May 17, 2020 3:29 pm

Tooks wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:45 am

This exactly...Covid is what it is, it'll never go away, so its your choice to stay in and stare at the walls or go out and live your life, there may not be much of it left so enjoy it, you can't take it with you!! Keep aware of others as a courtesy but don't be ashamed of you choices.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sun May 17, 2020 4:33 pm

I also largely agree with the above and if you are sensible you can go out per the Government guidance

But please remember your actions can and probably will affect other people during a contagious disease like Covid-19 so although you are responsible for your own actions you do have responsibility towards other people.

Which is why social distancing or isolation are so important.

The bottom line is you have a duty to others

big john

Post by big john » Mon May 18, 2020 8:12 am

If Travelling abroad make a note of this:-
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=186605&p=1184648#p1184648
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:11 pm

Very sorry to hear about your father suffering Tooks. I've been there too many times , so I completely understand.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered

PORTPHANTOM

Post by PORTPHANTOM » Mon May 18, 2020 7:43 pm

OK. Confessional time. Today I went to Lakenheath. Been on furlough since end of March and repainted loads at home and various other jobs,seeing a few over the garden but missing more. Got there just after 9. A few folk chatting to the Burger man. Went down the fence and saw very few until a couple of lads went past hoping to see the C5. Shot some decent stuff. Around 1145it satrted to change with numerous day trippers wandering about with kids. The C5 came out and i was joined by 2 delightful girl spotters and we enjoyed it leaving. Thought i would call it a day for safetys sake walked back to find countless cars around the burger van and a tad too close. Bit relieved to get out of that. Think its a case of go... but be cautious and keep a look out to avoid others getting too close and its better to get out of there if gets too silly than risk it

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:00 pm

Girl Spotters - you have to be very discreet otherwise you can end up in hot water!

mirage41

Post by mirage41 » Mon May 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Delightful

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”