Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Spotting during the pandemic

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
The Phantom

Re: Spotting during the pandemic

Post by The Phantom » Wed May 13, 2020 6:26 am

Though some on here in this thread are saying they are completely opposed to aviation viewing - due to you're only supposed to be exercising - the rules from today say different; with being allowed to drive any distance and stay in a park all day sunbathing, etc.

I don't blame anyone who is local to these bases for going along - as long as they follow the same social guidelines for the parks (a lot of which are ignored anyway with groups playing football, etc).

But the only problem I can see at, say for example Lakenheath, is if everyone has the same idea and next thing the viewing area and forest entrance is rammed out with hundreds of cars and people - and then that is likely to cause the attention of the police.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed May 13, 2020 6:59 am

I think a lot of people are missing the core issue here. The virus doesn't respect, law, guidance, 2m, the fact it's now Wednesday etc. etc., those trying to make a point of doing what they feel they want to, you can't get one up on the virus.

The stay at home is there to reduce any affect on the health and emergency services through accidents etc.

Social distancing/2m is there for casual encounters, in the streets, shops etc. not for continued close proximity. If you saw the idiocy of people doing the conga last weekend...…….. but they had rope and kept 2m apart!!!!...……. which didn't stop each and every one passing through the previous peoples exhalation vapour cloud.... so if you're spending a day 2m downwind of somebody outside a base coughing and sneezing I'm not sure that would make me feel secure and safe.

It's about applying common sense and not being a carrier and spreader, or not putting yourself in a position to be exposed.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:01 am

I shall be staying local for the time being but that is easy for me to do as I am within 20 miles of three bases. But I also do civvie **** and would love to do Heathrow ( 200 mile round trip) but I think I will give it a miss for a couple of months partly so that I don't have to use petrol stations more than I have to and partly because the government are still saying stay at home as much as you can although of course you are now entitled to go out if you want.

I will only go to Mildenhall if anything interesting turns up and generally there is never any more than 10 people down Folly on a normal day , probably even less than that. There might be an issue when something decent goes through Lakenheath for example as I don't think the police will tolerate crowds.

Keep social distancing when you are out.

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:23 am

The Phantom wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:26 am
But the only problem I can see at, say for example Lakenheath, is if everyone has the same idea and next thing the viewing area and forest entrance is rammed out with hundreds of cars and people - and then that is likely to cause the attention of the police.
Large groups are not only likely to attract the police, they are just what the media is desperately hungry for, which means spotters will once again get a bashing.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:51 am

I feel sorry for people who think that going spotting in the current climate is their immediate goal. It is not exercise as the Government has decreed.

I don't think our American friends will be very happy if they start seeing groups, even observing social distancing, appearing outside their bases. Look what happened with the last three Little Rock C-130J's that passed through. Only one crew member from the three aircraft was, reluctantly, allowed to go to the tower to collect their onward clearances to Ramstein. Respect others and don't be selfish all in the name of a number.

big john

Post by big john » Wed May 13, 2020 11:26 am

Go out enjoy yourself. But only in England. Isn't that what our elected representatives are telling us to do? That is if you believe the papers.
There seems to be a problem developing a vaccine, so it seems this virus will be with us for some time. Eventually we will all have to return to a normal life despite the consequences. It will be just another fact of life like flu or cancer.
To find out more use your search engine you will be surprised at what some "experts" are saying.
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed May 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Given that comms should be clear, succinct, understandable, the fact that we need to interpret these, or "believe" the papers show's what a disaster they're making of it.

I don't think there's a problem developing a vaccine per se, it's a matter of fact that these things take time.

If you want to minimise your risk, and that of those around you, there will be a new normal, where some social distancing and risk aversion will still be advised, so consider the facts and impact of your actions before you all head to the hills...…….

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Under the current rules I think you can go to a public space and meet one other person for exercise or mental well-being ( I interpret that as relaxation - reading , bird spotting fishing etc). You of course must social distance from your ' friend '.

So if you go to your local airfield I believe you need to be careful and not form groups , even socially distanced groups, for chatting and banter etc as this will attract the attention of the police? It will be difficult as it is natural for people with similar interests to associate without realising it is happening.

So when I do eventually go out don't mind me as I sit in my car being anti social !

podge

Post by podge » Wed May 13, 2020 2:06 pm

Very well put slogen.

I think sitting in your car and only getting out when necessary would be the best option.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:20 pm

That goes completely against what we have been advised to do. You can drive somewhere in order to exercise. Sitting in your car being anti-social I am afraid is not exercise. Wait a little bit longer until the rules are further relaxed.

podge

Post by podge » Wed May 13, 2020 2:26 pm

It’s not just exercise that is allowed now though. You can drive anywhere and just sit about all day if you want. Sitting in your own car is probably safer than sitting outside?

jalfrezi

Post by jalfrezi » Wed May 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Outdoor leisure activities are now allowed providing social distancing is maintained. People can now go to the beach, play golf, sunbathe and many other activities, whether this is for the best nobody knows yet.

big john

Post by big john » Wed May 13, 2020 3:02 pm

It has to take place in a public open space.
The only confusion I can see is what constitutes a public open space.
Definitely not a farmers field at the end of a runway though, as that is private property.
rgds
BJ

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker » Wed May 13, 2020 3:09 pm

here's one I found earlier

PPS 8: Open Space, Sport and Outdoor Recreation
Annex A: Definition of Open Space
A1 For the purposes of this Planning Policy Statement, open space is taken to mean all open space of public value, including not just land, but also inland bodies of water such as rivers, canals, lakes and reservoirs which offer important opportunities for sport and outdoor recreation and can also act as a visual amenity.
A2 The following typology illustrates the broad range of open spaces that are of public value:
parks and gardens – including urban parks, country parks, forest parks and formal gardens;
outdoor sports facilities (with natural or artificial surfaces and either publicly or privately owned) – including tennis courts, bowling greens, sport pitches, golf courses, athletic tracks, school and other institutional playing fields, and other outdoor sports areas;
amenity green space (most commonly, but not exclusively in housing areas) – including informal recreation spaces, communal green spaces in and around housing, and village greens;
provision for children and teenagers – including play areas, kickabout areas, skateboard parks and outdoor basketball hoops;
green corridors – including river and canal banks, amenity footpaths and cycleways;
natural and semi-natural urban green spaces – including woodlands, urban forestry, grasslands (eg. meadows), wetlands, open and running water, and rock areas (eg. cliffs);
allotments and community gardens;
cemeteries and churchyards; and
civic spaces, including civic and market squares and other hard surface areas designed for pedestrians.
A3 The Department recognises that most areas of open space can perform multiple functions. These will be taken account of when applying the policies of this Statement. These include:
strategic functions - defining and separating urban areas; providing community greenways, ‘green lungs’ or landscape buffers within urban areas; better linking of town and country; and serving recreational needs over a wide area;
urban quality - helping to support regeneration and improving quality of life for communities by providing visually attractive green spaces close to where people live;
promoting health and well-being - providing opportunities to people of all ages for informal recreation, or to walk, cycle or ride within parks and open space or along paths, bridleways and canal banks. Allotments may provide physical exercise and other health benefits;
havens and habitats for flora and fauna – sites may also have potential to be corridors or stepping stones from one habitat to another and may contribute towards achieving objectives set out in the Northern Ireland Biodiversity Strategy;
as a community resource – a place for congregating and for holding community events; and
as a visual amenity – even without public access, people enjoy having open space near to them to provide an outlook, variety in the urban scene, or as a positive element in the landscape.

WinchesterMGF

Post by WinchesterMGF » Wed May 13, 2020 3:17 pm

I got out-out of the house for the 1st time today since the start of lockdown (I don't count Sainsburys shopping hence out-out rather than just out). I drove for 20 minutes and went for a long walk around Thetford Forest and surrounds. Physical exercise, air in my lungs, sunshine on my scalp and I didn't see a soul so I'm happy that my social distancing was within guidelines. The fact that it was just over a mile off the end of rwy 11 at Mildenhall and I had my camera with me as Dragon40 departed for home was just a bonus. I feel better mentally than I have for quite a while so it's good medicine as long we are sensible.
Last edited by WinchesterMGF on Wed May 13, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mirage41

Post by mirage41 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 pm

Reminds me, Micky Flanagan also goes out out!

WinchesterMGF

Post by WinchesterMGF » Wed May 13, 2020 3:51 pm

Aye Mirage41, that's where I got it from - I should have given due credit...... :whistle:

big john

Post by big john » Wed May 13, 2020 5:18 pm

You can now go out for a picnic.
rgds
BJ

filmman

Post by filmman » Thu May 14, 2020 11:16 am

Having been slightly involved in one nasty disease and working a 6 day week for several months dealing with another, with scientists, epidemiologists,etc., I learnt that the science changed as epidemics progressed, that viruses are unforgiving, that being nit picking over interpretation of "perceived" legal rights to act unwisely ends in grief,that greed and narrow self interest is unwise, but above all I learnt to value common sense. Every action involves risk. How do you handle your mail? The 2 meter social distancing is not 100% absolutely safe for individuals but in the context of simple community action does help to slow/stop epidemics. Younger people can act unwisely because they are generally less impacted; apparently the average death rate doubles with every extra 5 years of age - from 20 to 60 years that's 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 256.
So what does a wise person do. No plane spotting or less. Not using confined parking areas. Avoid Parking near the side of busy roads and on the down wind side. Social distancing more than 2 meters. Wear masks to avoid spraying people when, sneezing or even talking and being aware of wind direction. Be prepared for others acting unwisely. The bottom line is enjoy life but remember you have to be alive and be kind to others. As said by a wise Scot, the first rule is going home alive.
Filmman

Rob666

Post by Rob666 » Thu May 14, 2020 11:26 am

filmman wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:16 am
Having been slightly involved in one nasty disease and working a 6 day week for several months dealing with another, with scientists, epidemiologists,etc., I learnt that the science changed as epidemics progressed, that viruses are unforgiving, that being nit picking over interpretation of "perceived" legal rights to act unwisely ends in grief,that greed and narrow self interest is unwise, but above all I learnt to value common sense. Every action involves risk. How do you handle your mail? The 2 meter social distancing is not 100% absolutely safe for individuals but in the context of simple community action does help to slow/stop epidemics. Younger people can act unwisely because they are generally less impacted; apparently the average death rate doubles with every extra 5 years of age - from 20 to 60 years that's 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x2 = 256.
So what does a wise person do. No plane spotting or less. Not using confined parking areas. Avoid Parking near the side of busy roads and on the down wind side. Social distancing more than 2 meters. Wear masks to avoid spraying people when, sneezing or even talking and being aware of wind direction. Be prepared for others acting unwisely. The bottom line is enjoy life but remember you have to be alive and be kind to others. As said by a wise Scot, the first rule is going home alive.
Filmman
Here, here. I would love to go down to Fairford and see U2's in the sunshine but would rather seen them for years to come than risk it currently.
Cheers Rob

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”