Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Airshows and the show ground set up

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
PeteHemsley

Airshows and the show ground set up

Post by PeteHemsley » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:48 am

Morning all.

After looking through various airshow threads and viewing many thousands of photos from all different shows this year, it's got me thinking about the set up of showgrounds.

As we know there's tens of thousands of complaints and wining about having large fairgrounds and stalls ruining many back drops of static aircraft. The likes of cosford pulling out their incredible airframes from the museum and situating them right next to bouncy castles and the likes of the RIAT sticking the main attractions in front of fairgrounds...

Why can't they separate the aircraft from the money making nif naf. I'm sure this would keep everyone happy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be more interested and happy with getting a nice clear photo of an aircraft without a Fudge stall or a Ferris wheel in the background! Making a dedicated family area would probably take up less space than most shows need when they scatter this rubbish all over the airfield?

Does this make sense to anyone? Would you be more than happy to pay to go to the inside of a show knowing that all aircraft have been placed with clutter less backdrops and a single area that your family can visit? Surely this would be safer for the children as well should they become separated from their parents or guardians? I mean is this just common sense?

If you could organise a show ground, how would you do it?

Ghastly Whisper

Re: Airshows and the show ground set up

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:04 pm

Theres a PC game here somewhere, bit like the original Theme Park as was. Millions of combinations and still not everyone is happy!
Growing old disgracefully

AyrForce1

Post by AyrForce1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:49 am

It's certainly true that you'll never please everyone.

But I consider it a bad decision when the sound of the funfair is drowning out Red 10's commentary on a Red Arrows display. Especially if I'm trying to video it.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 am

If you feel strongly about these things why not volunteer at the event/airshow/museum and become one of the "they" and influence from the inside?

Harkins

Post by Harkins » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:00 am

Agent K wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 am
If you feel strongly about these things why not volunteer at the event/airshow/museum and become one of the "they" and influence from the inside?
Of course, the simple answer to having static aircraft in a more pleasing setting at an airshow is to apply for one of about half a dozen positions where you could possibly have any influence on these decisions.

I have some views on politics. Shall I write to my MP or should I just become an MP and get a cabinet position? I'm sure the wife and kids will be very supportive of my decision for a new career all of a sudden. I'm amazed that everyone who has an opinion on something doesn't just get the relevant job to influence it.

RJ79

Post by RJ79 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 am

The planes generate the footfall for the traders, if they were parked one end and the traders the other then in all likelihood why would you visit them? If the planes weren't in front of the stalls then you probably wouldn't have half of the traders there and then there goes one revenue stream (given the prices the airshow charges it is fairly significant too).
Cheers,

Rob

Nikon D60
Nikon 18-55mm lens
Tamron 70-300mm lens
Uniden Bearcat 3500xlt Scanner

ridgmeister

Post by ridgmeister » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 pm

This debate has been going on for decades but layouts won't change.
I guess one has to decide whether you want to pay £XX for some cr@p static shots, or save the money for something better.
I made my choice some time ago :whistle:
Paul

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:56 pm

And when you either reduce traders, or change the layouts and the traders decide it's not financially viable for them anymore due to lower footfall, so stop booking, and the show then costs £XX+5 and the people will complain it costs too much! There's no perfect solution, sadly.

I know from some experience in this area that airshows do not make a huge amount (especially post Shoreham these days) and any change that reduces cash flow will be the end of some of shows.

Supra

Post by Supra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:09 pm

ridgmeister wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 pm
This debate has been going on for decades but layouts won't change.
I guess one has to decide whether you want to pay £XX for some cr@p static shots, or save the money for something better.
I made my choice some time ago :whistle:
Paul
Spot-on! If you're persisting with RIAT then try this? Find a suitable location for arrivals or departures that 'tingles yer bits'... without miscellaneous crud in the background & go nuts on a cleaner 'static' than you're ever gonna get on Show-day? Even if you take away the funfair, bogs, burger-van, double-glazing vendor et al.... you still have cones, barriers, crew, pitot-tube covers, intake condoms, various crap in the canopy & a sign telling the event-funding Public what they're looking at!
To quote Clint..." A man's gotta know his limitations!"

SPERX

Post by SPERX » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:43 pm

I gave up on airshows a long time ago. I worked at RIAT four times 1989-95 whilst still in the RAF and know from experience the sheer hassle of setting that event up in 5 days. Remember too that there has to be abundant car parking area, which immediately constrains the layout of statics and the traders. Then add in the mandatory safety margins, pushing the crowd line back from the runway and space rapidly becomes scarce. I think we were spoiled / privileged in the 1970s & 80s because there were many more airshows, which meant that crowds were generally smaller save for the big events such as IAT and Mildenhall because, for example, RAF Bloggins' drew in a relatively small hardcore of enthusiasts plus the ad hoc less engaged visitors from its local catchment area. Today with very few military shows, even the grockles are prepared to travel huge distances to get to a handful of events each year - leading to more dense crowds and less staisfaction for enthusiasts. If barriers are a problem to you, try going to a show in the USA - I vividly recall watching a large American gentleman reach up inside the main gear bay of an F-14 and tug at a hydraulic line whilst loudly telling his adoring family that "..it sure is secure........"
They can call it what they want
BUT ITS NOT A PROPER LIGHTNING

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:58 pm

SPERX wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:43 pm
If barriers are a problem to you, try going to a show in the USA - I vividly recall watching a large American gentleman reach up inside the main gear bay of an F-14 and tug at a hydraulic line whilst loudly telling his adoring family that "..it sure is secure........"
Bang on! Travelled to a lot of airshows in the USA (Miramar, Ellington Field, Midland, Edwards, Oshkosh etc.) and it's infuriating that there are obviously a lot of aircraft you want photos of, but without crowd barriers around them people just sit under the wing, walk up to and touch them etc. etc. There just doesn't seem to be any appreciation of the wish to photograph the aircraft without people in the shot!

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:24 pm

I remmeber in the 60's sheltering from the rain under the wing of a Vulcan at Biggin Hill at home day
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”