Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Extinction Rebellion

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Alfie

Extinction Rebellion

Post by Alfie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Extinction Rebellion member Christopher Maunder disrupted RNAS Yeovilton's Air Day on Saturday.

"An environmental protester was arrested after cycling on to a naval airbase runway to highlight an "immoral celebration of military might".
Extinction Rebellion member Christopher Maunder broke into the grounds during RNAS Yeovilton's Air Day on Saturday.
"Flying planes is a damaging thing to do anyway, flying them just for entertainment is immoral at this time," he said.
Avon and Somerset Police said he was arrested for aggravated trespass."

Is this going to be an on going problem at other airshows this, just thinking about the length of the runway at Fairford. I can remember a party of peace protesters surrounding a static plane, can't be sure if it was back in the days of Greenham or a very early Fairford.

lambo1784

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by lambo1784 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:23 pm

The runway at Faiford is not that far from the crowd line with just cadets most of the time the only protection if the barrier is jumped,obviously extra security has to be bought in to stop these idiots.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Thought I heard an interesting little story regarding the SR-71 Blackbird at Greenham I think. Apparently the protestors got in and doubed the Blackbird with something - paint I think. Anyway apparently come departures day the crew decided to get their own back by staying low on departure then full throttle climb right over the camp full burn. Must have been something to see.

JASTREB

Post by JASTREB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:57 pm

I remember one wet Lakenheath Airshow day - think it was 88, when a group of CND protester's got onto the runway and sat on it. The military police were ready for this. The F-111 that were airborne went into a holding pattern. The police parked green school bus infront of the protesters, and cable tied each of them and put them on the bus. You could see the tie's were tight, and they were 'thrown' into the bus.

If Extinction Rebellion try anything, I hope the military will be just as kind again.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 pm

These lelfties have always got to pop up somewhere and try and cause trouble!
But hopefully it'll give RIAT prior warning to be extra vigilant.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:18 pm

its about time they were made Extinct!!
Comfortably Numb

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Please The Phantom don't lump as you call them lefties all in together. I would class myself as a person on the left side of politics but I don't go around protesting about everything and I regularly attend air shows and other military events. I don't really see this as a forum for political views of whatever genre.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:50 pm

Alfie wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:54 pm
Please The Phantom don't lump as you call them lefties all in together. I would class myself as a person on the left side of politics but I don't go around protesting about everything and I regularly attend air shows and other military events. I don't really see this as a forum for political views of whatever genre.
I don't lump them all in together. I've been left of centre and working class all my life. But with regard to these far left loonies who think they can invade wherever they want or bring cities to standstills, I have no regard or sympathy for at all.
They should bring back the Blackbird to hand out tons of reheat to them, just like they did the group who invaded Greenham Common all those years ago!

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:12 pm

From what I remember of Greenham 1983 I don't think the 'camps' were near the run-way ends; on the Sunday I stayed outside to the south to graph the flying display abeam centre field. There were encampments in the trees there.
Myself and a pal parked up in the layby on the A339 and walked through the trees, being observed by an Army Gazelle which eventually put down in a glade. We were approached by a ( civilian?) police and checked over before assuring him we had nowt to do with the 'women'- explaining camera angles and sunlight for our reason to be on the outside.
The SR-71 was the last to visit the UK in high viz markings- 17980?
Roger

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:55 am

Unknown74 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:04 pm
Thought I heard an interesting little story regarding the SR-71 Blackbird at Greenham I think. Apparently the protestors got in and doubed the Blackbird with something - paint I think. Anyway apparently come departures day the crew decided to get their own back by staying low on departure then full throttle climb right over the camp full burn. Must have been something to see.
Indeed it was, I was there actually on the base at the time (Our Scout Troop was on Clean-up duties), I also saw said SR71 when it had been daubed with peace slogans in Red paint, IIRC they also painted a couple of KC135's as well.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:07 am

H.A.Bucken wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:12 pm
From what I remember of Greenham 1983 I don't think the 'camps' were near the run-way ends; on the Sunday I stayed outside to the south to graph the flying display abeam centre field. There were encampments in the trees there.
Myself and a pal parked up in the layby on the A339 and walked through the trees, being observed by an Army Gazelle which eventually put down in a glade. We were approached by a ( civilian?) police and checked over before assuring him we had nowt to do with the 'women'- explaining camera angles and sunlight for our reason to be on the outside.
The SR-71 was the last to visit the UK in high viz markings- 17980?
Roger
Used to live just down the road from Greenham, Camps were all in the woods to the main at the Western End of the Airfield & the famous one outside the main gate on the A339. Many a fun weekend was had by us local lad's cutting guylines of the peace campers tent's, with the unofficial blessing (egging on even) of the various forms of base security.

IAT as it was then before the day's of H & S, happy times. I remember us scouts all being given passes to the base that got us on base both before & after the show. H & S briefing was Don't stand directly behind any aircraft running it's engines, don't approach anything with prop's that's running etc.. I got to sit in the cockpit of a US F4 whilst it was being prepped for take-off, get on top of the wing of a Herk & the C5. Also we got into the interior of just about anything we wanted after joe public left site. Finally the USAF being great hosts & providing us with massive BBQ on each day we were there clearing up.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:40 am

The Phantom wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:50 pm

I don't lump them all in together. I've been left of centre and working class all my life. But with regard to these far left loonies who think they can invade wherever they want or bring cities to standstills, I have no regard or sympathy for at all.
They should bring back the Blackbird to hand out tons of reheat to them, just like they did the group who invaded Greenham Common all those years ago!
"I don't lump them all together but I'll lump them all together as "left loonies"...……." :S

I suspect the demarcation is far more complicated than that. And along with the freedoms we enjoy is that freedom to protest, whether we like it or not, or do we get selective on what is allowed or not, and label people, and become a fascist state?

Strongly and appropriately enforcing security and protection of property, irrespective of perpetrators however, is apolitical and to be supported.
Andy_99 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:07 am
….before the day's of H & S, happy times...
I'm not so sure those injured in industrial and agricultural accidents before safety and health of workers was taken more seriously, and unscrupulous employers would exploit workers, would call them happy days!

napalm42

Post by napalm42 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:28 pm

A few well aimed rounds from `Gunship` should have sent a message to him and the rest of the selfish cronies trying to ruin other people`s enjoyment. :grr: :grr:
Prats,one and all.

I could go on,but my post would be removed..

napalm42

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:50 am

Give these people the right to express their opinion. Allocate them space in the airshow village in the same way that charity's and other special interest groups are given (or sold) space to promote their views.
The things they have to say are important but they must act in a civilised and law abiding way. It should not be a protest but a place for informed debate.

One hopes that this person is deal with the full rule of law. At the very least there is the issue of trespass and entering MOD property, never mind the danger to aircraft operations.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”