Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

“Please, don't build Bomber Command memorial”

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Velvet Glove

“Please, don't build Bomber Command memorial”

Post by Velvet Glove » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:28 pm

The mayor of the German city of Dresden flies into London today under pressure from her countrymen to beg Britain not to build a memorial to Second World War bomber crews.

Conservative Helma Orosz, 57, is officially in the UK to open an exhibition tonight detailing the bombing of London, her city and that of its twin, Coventry, during the war.

But other politicians - and Germany‘s largest daily newspaper - are pressuring her to try to get the memorial planned to recognise the long-overlooked courage of RAF bomber crews scrapped.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... crews.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SteveS

Re: “Please, don't build Bomber Command memorial”

Post by SteveS » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:19 pm

I'm assuming there's no memorials to the German Luftwaffe crews who died bombing England anywhere???? :@

Oh no, here's one....in Sussex..... :roll:

http://www.gravelroots.net/gall4a_1c.html

the beast

Post by the beast » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by the beast on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanks!
James
____________________________________________________________________________________

captain scarlet

Post by captain scarlet » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:02 pm

There should be a memorial in every village that once had a bomber command airfield next to it!! How many brave young men (and women) died in bomber command? 55,000 wasn't it! . . . . and they are still the only service not to receive a campaign medal, outrageous if you ask me. :grr:

We should be honouring our brave servicemen and women otherwise we may well have all been speaking german!!!
Richard

Captain Scarlet is indestructable, you are not! Remember this, do not try to imitate him.

HawkEye001

Post by HawkEye001 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:56 pm

What them in Germany should remember is that they bombed London first and in retaliation we bombed Dresden.

They broke the agreement that no civilians should be bombed. Giving them no right to beg us not to build a memorial to our brave people.

Its non of their business anyway so just tell them to do one.
http://www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.airfieldinformationexchange. ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rafingham.co.uk/

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Let's hope Boris tells them, in his unique style, to mind their own business.

Newcastle_Paul

Post by Newcastle_Paul » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:22 pm

I think it's very important that the courage of the bomber crews is separated from what they were asked to do.

It was the politicians and Harris that ordered them to bomb cities night after night. In doing their service to all civilised nations, what they endured can not be imagined.

They weren't even recognised in Churchill's victory speech so after 65 years it's about time we as a nation recognised their courage.

And as for considering the sensitivities of our German friends, it didn't stop us erecting a statue to Harris...
I have many toys. Amongst them are a camera and a scanner.

... now with added grip!!!

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:29 pm

Exactly right Paul, their task was a terrible thing to have to do, but you cannot look back in this day and age and judge how Bomber Command went about their campaign under Harris. It was a different time, we know how the war ended - Harris and those who supported night-time area bombing did not know. They were fighting for the very lives of the British people and had to do all they could to ensure the war wasn't lost.

Steve

Figure8

Post by Figure8 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:34 pm

I agree with Newcastle Paul, there is plenty of room to recognise the bravery and sacrifice of these crews and it is up to us how, when and where we do it.

The bombing of civilian populations can never be condoned but the crews who took part had no choice in the matter considering they were countering Hitler's unspeakable crimes against the world.

Note that the bombing of innocent civilians takes place in all wars, current ones included.
Regards

Art (The Lie in King)

keith2uk

Post by keith2uk » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm a little late coming into this thread, but when I read it, I just felt that I had to make a reply.

Having been involved with with Bomber Command for many years now, I don't wish to sound un-loyal, becasue the veterans have fuelled my interest in the subject over a prolonged period, but I really do think all the people who say there should be a memorial to BC, should take a trip around many of the ex and some current Bomber Command airfields. They all have their own memorial to the units that operated from them. The trip around Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, would be quite an eyeopener to many. There is also Cambridgeshire as well. If everyone wished to support what these chaps fought for, maybe not what they had to do, they should talk to the various associations and support them at their local level, where it is still possible to meet and talk with the chaps that had to do the job.
Regards - Keith

"Quite content to watch the clouds float by"

Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:57 pm

Until D-day in 1944 Bomber Command was the only force in Northern Europe taking the fight to Hitler's Germany.

The local Scout Troop in the village were I live lost two of their members who were flying with Bomber Command and WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

It is time to say thank you to those fallen Heroes.

DeanW

Post by DeanW » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:36 pm

Isn't it a bit hypocritical that she's over here to open an exhibition about the German bombing of the UK but doesn't want a memorial to the British bomber crews?!

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:33 am

My old man flew in wellingtons, both over the North Atlantic and in North Africa,

my reply is, stuff her, they were our lads, just like the ones taking to the air today, lets honour the past and the present and above all NEVER forget
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:40 pm

If you ever come into the delightful village of Chedburgh, Suffolk, where I live, the first thing you will see is the village sign, which, in colour, depicts a Lancaster flying over some horses in a wheat field. Lovely. Immediately next to it is the War Memorial, erected in memory of the Polish Bomber Squadrons based on RAF Chedburgh. Just down the road, is the only pub, The Marquis Cornwallis, which has photos of Bomber Crews, Lancasters etc. adorning the walls. Whilst the pub stands, these will never be removed. The memorial is tended all the time by volunteers in thevillage. We, in East Anglia, never forget the Military, past or present. In my opinion,These individual memorials are sufficent, and easier to relate to, for youngsters, than one central one. There is, of course, a mobile memorial to Bomber Command, seen by thousands of people every year, whilst transitting to and from Airshows [makes a beeline for my bungalow every time it's in Suffolk it seems.] It is, of course, the Lancaster.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”