Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Tornado farewell flypast February 2019

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
CosmonautX

Re: Tornado farewell flypast February 2019

Post by CosmonautX » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Got to Covesea in time for the flypast. They came in over 23 as the special three-ship with a fourth shadowing above and to the right, then banked off toward the 05 end. A couple headed off and round to the east, then the IX(B) special tail came in from the east with a pair of IX(B) marked Typhoons and a Hawk photoship (I'm assuming) for a photo of the three aircraft against the Covesea lighthouse. One final turn and pass back over by the lot and then they were away.

C24

Post by C24 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Thunder
They missed the RAF Cottesmore 22 runway by 6-800m. Perhaps they were shy?

Cup half full?

EDIT. It should be interesting to see how close to the RAF College the nine ship will manage next week. Should be ok, there are several working days for charging up the TomToms ;)

No-one's perfect but will they be flying? ;)
Last edited by C24 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Blast, I’m gutted I missed all the fun😢🤬

Pete_uk

Post by Pete_uk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:45 pm

Quiiiiite a bit of negativity regarding the fly pasts :(

Scimiitry

Post by Scimiitry » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you to everyone who posted information, routes, NOTAMs, heads ups, serials etc on here which I think helped a lot of people get potentially the last glimpse of these great aircraft flying - certainly it all helped me. Now considering whether some unforeseen illnesses will require me to seek the restorative power of the Norfolk air over the next week..!

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Thunder wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 pm
Have to say that was disappointing at Lossie, thought they were meant to follow the runway? By the time they reached Duffus castle at the 05 end they were three quarters of a mile off centre and into the sun, leaving a rather large audience totally miffed. Another half a*€#¥d effort by our finest.
Considering Lossie got multiple passes, which is more than any other site got during any of the flypasts this week, you should be counting yourself lucky rather than slating them. They didn't have to do any of this, a little gratitude for doing it at all, and their service to this country wouldn't go amiss. So much negativity, we got nothing at all down here on the south coast, am i moaning? No, I got off my a*se and took a punt on Marham even though the weather looked dodgy, and wouldn't have cared how it turned out, grateful just to see them one last time.
I've just looked at many photos from Lossie today and they are by far the best I've seen from anywhere on all 3 of the tours!
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

cfett75

Post by cfett75 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:49 pm

We had a great day at Lossie.

Thanks to all the RAF aircrew and engineers that made if happen.

We are grateful too you!
Chris Fett-Worsfold
Web : cfaviationphotography.com
Facebook : CF Aviation Photography

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:53 pm

bizfreeq wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:45 pm
Thunder wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 pm
Have to say that was disappointing at Lossie, thought they were meant to follow the runway? By the time they reached Duffus castle at the 05 end they were three quarters of a mile off centre and into the sun, leaving a rather large audience totally miffed. Another half a*€#¥d effort by our finest.
Considering Lossie got multiple passes, which is more than any other site got during any of the flypasts this week, you should be counting yourself lucky rather than slating them. They didn't have to do any of this, a little gratitude for doing it at all, and their service to this country wouldn't go amiss. So much negativity, we got nothing at all down here on the south coast, am i moaning? No, I got off my a*se and took a punt on Marham even though the weather looked dodgy, and wouldn't have cared how it turned out, grateful just to see them one last time.
I've just looked at many photos from Lossie today and they are by far the best I've seen from anywhere on all 3 of the tours!
Have to say I agree with you bizfreeq, it's been an outstanding piece of engagement from the RAF, which for reasons of numbers, or cost, or operations, hasn't done such a thing on this scale for eons. I headed to Duxford, where the cloud cleared and they flew overhead in the sun. I left happy (and sad!).

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Totally agree guys, can't believe how many people are moaning!! Went to the pub after the flypast at Cardiff yesterday, some guy came in and started saying how rubbish the flypast was, they only did 1 flypast!!!! What did he expect?? Aerobatics !! After spending 30 years watching them low and fast over the Brecon Beacons I was very happy to see them for the last time. I was very sad to say goodbye but very greatful to the crews. Good on the Tornado force & I wish the pilots & maintainers all the very best for the future.

Thank you for the memories.
Last edited by Blackcat1 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Unknown74 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:44 pm
Wouldn’t beat yourself up too much if Lossie was anything to go by.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:17 pm

:roll: It amazes me how many people moaned that they got a single flypast...which is exactly what was advertised...??? Grow up!
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Thunder wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:17 pm
Unknown74 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:44 pm
Wouldn’t beat yourself up too much if Lossie was anything to go by.
As already said, Lossie shots have been some of the best. Maybe, you weren't in the best of spots? Happens to us all.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:51 pm

I realised long ago that there are some people who will never be satisfied :roll: I managed to catch them in my lunch break yesterday immediately after Honington a minute or so early, I was too far away, camera settings went belly up at the last second but I still saw them, got a distant record shot and , sad to say, even made one too :blush: The main thing for me was catching a glimpse for, probably, the last time. I'm old enough to remember their entry into service and cycling 15-plus miles each way to Marham back in 1983. So if people want to moan and whinge, well let them. The rest of us can enjoy what we can, while we can.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Agree there, mate. Glad you saw them! Lucky enough to see them at Marham Tuesday, then again yesterday at IWM Duxford :thumb:

Being 21 and not being in this hobby as much as I would have liked too, the GR4 was my most favourite jet when I started out, and I'm just lucky enough I've been able to see it as much as I have, and got the shots I wanted to get. :D I'm extremely grateful the RAF carried out not 1, but 3 days of flypasts, and will do a mass one next Thursday to Cranwell, so I hope to catch that by the base. :Wow:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

TREBAX_RAVEN

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Nighthawke wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:51 pm
I realised long ago that there are some people who will never be satisfied :roll: I managed to catch them in my lunch break yesterday immediately after Honington a minute or so early, I was too far away, camera settings went belly up at the last second but I still saw them, got a distant record shot and , sad to say, even made one too :blush: The main thing for me was catching a glimpse for, probably, the last time. I'm old enough to remember their entry into service and cycling 15-plus miles each way to Marham back in 1983. So if people want to moan and whinge, well let them. The rest of us can enjoy what we can, while we can.
Very true! some people just aren't grateful enough :(
looking forward to the 28th now, just hope i manage to see them through the crowds!
Tribute to 47 squadron

markranger

Post by markranger » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:09 pm

It was advertised as a Flypast over various places linked to the Tornado and that is what people got.
Really can't see why people are moaning.

I think they have done great in both the flying and the information given out on social Media.

Mark.
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:11 pm

Agree there, Mark :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:22 pm

bizfreeq wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:45 pm

The point I was trying to make was why publicise the route that they were going to take only to deviate from it by approx 35-40 degress. The route that was made public earlier in the morning was to follow parallel to the length of runway 23/05, however even before they reached the 23 threshold they were already heading South of that line which resulted in them being between half to three quarters of a mile off the centreline by the time they reached my location, which placed them behind myself and the other members of the public that had gathered at Duffus Castle and from what would've have been a belting location with the sun at our backs, we were now looking directly into it. I'm not slating the planning or the effort that has went into the last 3 days far from it, but if you go to the trouble of doing the planning then make sure the execution matches.
The comments about the single flypast aspect are meaningless as I have no problem with that as it was always advertised as such, but again as it was a one chance situation for the majority of us(we can't all get to Marham once, let alone several times), then they should've executed the planning better than they did. Lossie did indeed get multiply passes but again the Typhoon/Tornado flypasts where both flown parallel to the 28/10 RW, so unless you had at least a 500mm lens or were positioned at either the 28 or 10 ends which wouldn't have been logical from the info made public earlier, it was fruitless to the majority of those on the ground.

James, not sure what or who you're referring to with the "grow up" comment, as this has nothing to do with anyone's maturity or lack of it, however if it was directed at me, then please retract it as you don't know me from Adam.

I know the majority on here will disagree with me but the above is my opinion of it.
Last edited by Thunder on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Yes Mark totally agree! Dont remember other fast jets doing a UK tour when they retired.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:25 pm

If you saw them just be thankful
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus