Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

F-35 RAF pilot interview

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
thorny1a

F-35 RAF pilot interview

Post by thorny1a » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:31 pm

An interesting interview with an RAF F-35 pilot, currently with VMFAT-501 USMC. :thumb:

https://hushkit.net/2019/01/15/intervie ... r-paratus/

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the acronym "CCD" means in the context of the following quote... "It’s well documented that F35 does not currently have a CCD capability in the EOTS so we’re restricted to IR only"

Cheers :pop:

Matt
- RAF Coltishall - Gone but never forgotten
- Norfolk. Nelson's County

sonicbenj

Re: F-35 RAF pilot interview

Post by sonicbenj » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:29 pm

If its anything like the CCD in my video camera then my (partially) educated guess is it's related to the optics for the Electro-Optical Targeting System (EOTS). I'm assuming that this means they're not able to use the day-time systems yet and are stuck with infrared for the time being

Rich H
AeroResource Correspondent

Post by Rich H » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 pm

CCD = charge-coupled device.

CCD is a major technology for providing digital imaging. So at the moment imaging comes via IR in the Eletro-Optical Tracking System, but there is a planned future upgrade to use CCD

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:28 am

More than just an RAF pilot in the VMAT, he'll be heading up the OCU on its' return to the UK!

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”