Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Iranian Air Force Boeing 707 Crashes on landing

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
JAWS

Iranian Air Force Boeing 707 Crashes on landing

Post by JAWS » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:01 pm

Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Harkins

Re: Iranian Air Force Boeing 707 Crashes on landing

Post by Harkins » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Looking at the photo near the bottom of the Telegraph article, there is a ripped or missing part near the top of the tail. When I Googled Iranian Air Force 707 I noticed that this is exactly where the Iranian flag is on the tail. As the first reports seemed to be unclear as to whose aircraft it was, I just wondered whether there might have been an attempt to remove the markings. It's an odd part to have suffered that damage in those circumstances and quite a coincidence that it's exactly where the flag is painted. Could it have been a vain attempt at a cover up?

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Just the flight engineer the sole survivor , God was smiling down on him/her!

RIP to those who lost their lives.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Apparently it landed at the wrong airport, Fath has a 1,200 metre runway and Karaj is 3,600 metres, a post on PPRuNe says :-

"Visibility reported as 3000m. Given the proximity of Fath to Karaj (5 miles) and that Fath sits more or less on the final approach to Karaj, is this a case of during a non precision approach aiming for the first runway that they saw? The far smaller runway at Fath perhaps giving the illusion that it was farther away than it really was?"

Aviation Herald reports the following :-

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c2d9613&opt=0

"A Saha Airlines Boeing 707-300 freighter, registration EP-CPP performing a freight flight from Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan) to Karaj (Iran) with 16 crew and a cargo of meat, was on approach to Karaj's Payam Airport's runway 30 (length 3660 meters/12,000 feet) when the crew descended towards and landed on Fath's airport 31L (length 1000 meters/3300 feet), overran the runway, broke through an airport perimeter wall, crashed into houses past the end of the runway and burst into flames at about 08:30L (03:00Z). So far one survivor (the flight engineer) and 16 bodies have been recovered. One house was destroyed, a number of houses were damaged.

Emergency services reported 16 bodies (15 male, 1 female) have been recovered so far. One survivor was taken to a hospital.

Another aircraft had confused the same airports but gone around in time, see Incident: Taban MD88 at Karaj on Nov 16th 2018, went around from very low height at wrong airport.

Iran's Air Force confirmed the aircraft belonged to Saha Airlines. The only survivor recovered so far was the flight engineer on board of the aircraft."

Very sad news.

rh226

Post by rh226 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Harkins wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:48 pm
Looking at the photo near the bottom of the Telegraph article, there is a ripped or missing part near the top of the tail. When I Googled Iranian Air Force 707 I noticed that this is exactly where the Iranian flag is on the tail. As the first reports seemed to be unclear as to whose aircraft it was, I just wondered whether there might have been an attempt to remove the markings. It's an odd part to have suffered that damage in those circumstances and quite a coincidence that it's exactly where the flag is painted. Could it have been a vain attempt at a cover up?
Saha Airlines is wholly owned by the IRIAF.

EP-CPP is ex 5-8312.
Cheers, Bob

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”