Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Machloop ban

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
PeteHemsley

Re: Machloop ban

Post by PeteHemsley » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:41 am

rainers wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:38 am
PeteHemsley wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:27 am
The RAF are still carrying out low flying in other areas including the tornado fleet. There's more to low flying than the loop
I was told that RAF Tornados are currently banned from flying low level. Not just in the loop, but anywhere. All sorties will now be medium-level. Unless you know any different?
Well seeing as they were using the LFA17 last week and a few chaps on the hill caught them, I think that info is inaccurate.

rainers

Post by rainers » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:52 am

PeteHemsley wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:41 am
rainers wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:38 am
PeteHemsley wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:27 am
The RAF are still carrying out low flying in other areas including the tornado fleet. There's more to low flying than the loop
I was told that RAF Tornados are currently banned from flying low level. Not just in the loop, but anywhere. All sorties will now be medium-level. Unless you know any different?
Well seeing as they were using the LFA17 last week and a few chaps on the hill caught them, I think that info is inaccurate.
I haven't seen any pics of GR4's in the Lakes last week. Where can I find them?

Richelli

Post by Richelli » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:59 am

They did passes on the Tuesday 8th and Wednesday 9th January in the lakes, after new year then they were banned from going low level due to safety concerns towards the end of that week. Not an raf decision it was a decision made by the aircraft safety board due to the age of the airframes. They are allowed to fly medium and high level but no low level at all. (corrected dates)
Last edited by Richelli on Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:03 am

Cameraless

rainers

Post by rainers » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 am

Richelli wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:59 am
They did passes on the Monday 7th and Tuesday 8th January in the lakes, after new year then they were banned from going low level due to safety concerns towards the end of that week. Not an raf decision it was a decision made by the aircraft safety board due to the age of the airframes. They are allowed to fly medium and high level but no low level at all.
I believe the ban came into force on the 14th Jan

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:15 am

I know theres more to low flying than the loop Peter!!! I've been an avid low fly spotter since the early 80s & I live in an area where it used to be far busier than the loop! Those were the days!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

dunmailbiffa17

Post by dunmailbiffa17 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:27 am

The Mighty Fin Consummatum Est,as stated Med-High currency only.Think FGR4 from now on,Low Level as was is a thing of the past.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39487381@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Was Lowflyer 17.

https://www.facebook.com/KingDuniImages

Richelli

Post by Richelli » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Mark wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:03 am
And the 9th

https://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/ ... 4&t=171247
Apologies Mark, I was at work today and got the dates wrong, I have altered them. I was stood on the opposite side to that shot, I shouldn't have been but was to lazy to do the cross over when the sun moved around. It did make my shot hazy shooting into the sun, but we got a good wave from the back seat of last low level flight through the lakes, which is quite surreal looking back now. Luckily we had the goldstar on the Tuesday. One pass in the morning and another late afternoon, as well as tail 045. Was a good start to a week.

Imagetornado through the lakes by richard elliot, on Flickr

gamecock

Post by gamecock » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:07 am

Not an raf decision it was a decision made by the aircraft safety board due to the age of the airframes.
Source?

toom317

Post by toom317 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:15 am

Richelli wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Imagetornado through the lakes by richard elliot, on Flickr
That's a nice pic you got there. I think the light on it is pretty good. If you'd been on the other side though, you could have got a nice belly shot.
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

jiminnorfolk

Post by jiminnorfolk » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:51 am

Hi All, This Mach Loop incident is a difficult one. The argument against Discipline and Pushing the limits. Peacetime military flying obviously needs to be safe but when the chips are down the pilot who pushes the limits stand a good chance of winning the day. Eack supposed malpractice needs to be judged on its effect, merits or otherwise, so hopefully we will exploit the winners and keep the rest of us safe

Richelli

Post by Richelli » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:05 pm

gamecock wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:07 am
Not an raf decision it was a decision made by the aircraft safety board due to the age of the airframes.
Source?
I don't have a direct link to a source unfortunately. I found out through a FB page im on and we often get pilots asking for photos of shots we have taken. One of the tornado pilots confirmed the decision to stop allowing them to fly low level due to safety concerns external to the RAF so I would think the AOC or similar. I know people want written links etc but in this case that isn't going to happen unless they put the information out for the public. Much like the Mach loop ban, apart from the info leaked at the start which caused the ban to be fully implemented. The aircraft are allowed to carry out medium and high level soirties but no more low level flights due to the increasing chance of an accident with the aging airframes. They don't want to end up with an incident so close to the retirement of the aircraft which makes sense. Im not so bothered who implemented the low level tornado ban, all I know is its been confirmed via messages from a tornado pilot, and that's good enough for me. I dont know if a decision like that can be reversed but I highly doubt it.

dunmailbiffa17

Post by dunmailbiffa17 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:04 pm

Typhoon FGR4 is Multi-Role,the GR4 is over once its Shader Op is canx.Aging air frames are at risk at any level i guess.One thing ive learned about the M.O.D over a big chunk of my lifetime is they do not discuss Op matters in public.P.R. on social media sure.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39487381@N02/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Was Lowflyer 17.

https://www.facebook.com/KingDuniImages

ST24

Post by ST24 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:47 am

Richelli wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:59 am
They did passes on the Tuesday 8th and Wednesday 9th January in the lakes, after new year then they were banned from going low level due to safety concerns towards the end of that week. Not an raf decision it was a decision made by the aircraft safety board due to the age of the airframes. They are allowed to fly medium and high level but no low level at all. (corrected dates)
Who are the "aircraft safety board"?? :huh:

Fighterfoto

Post by Fighterfoto » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:19 am

The reason for no more low-flying is simply because with the squadrons now on their final deployment there is no longer a need to train in the discipline.
Never trust a grown man with a nickname

Supra

Post by Supra » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:31 am

Surely the word 'Tornado' is missing from between 'more.... low-flying'? Clearly not all RAF Squadrons are on their final deployment? Why if potential fatigue in the Tornado airframes is a issue do thy continue to fly at all? :grr: The fatigue index in any aircraft is never knowingly exceeded (Vulcan? :whistle:) & there's a chunky safety factor built into the limit of flying hours.(according to a guy that used to clean Hangar floors & is now on Face-ache! ;) )
Sorry to say, this sounds like horsesh**e as a Tonka falling to pieces mid-air would have no effect on say Typhoons or Hawks using the Loop, unless of course its debris hit them! :roll:

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:08 am

All will be resolved in good time.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Reptile 1

Post by Reptile 1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 pm

It's all a knee jerk reaction IMO to a 'near miss' back in December, during the Airprox review it was decided by DCom Ops to halt all Low Level flying until the GR4 OSD on safety grounds, nothing to do with fatigue of the Jet or no longer a need to train Low Level.

Fighterfoto

Post by Fighterfoto » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Supra - calm down, I was referring to no more low flying for Tornado.
Never trust a grown man with a nickname

ST24

Post by ST24 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Fighterfoto wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:57 pm
Supra - calm down, I was referring to no more low flying for Tornado.
But this thread does seem to raise blood pressure with all the garbage that's being spouted.
Still wanting to know who the "aircraft safety board" are.. :unsure:

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”