Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Published Aviation Photograper

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Vulcanone

Re: Published Aviation Photograper

Post by Vulcanone » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:13 pm

And from memory Duxford got to the stage they will only give you a press pass, if you actually produce something afterwards. IE you write something about the show you attended.

3051Howe

Post by 3051Howe » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:38 am

There's a lot of bitter people on here. My question is why does it matter?
instagram.com/cjh3051photography

michael1970

Post by michael1970 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:02 pm

Does it really matter, I would say in the UK there are probably zero full time aviation photographers making any serious money. There are however many making an additional living from supplementing their income by photographing aircraft and sending them to magazines, stock agencies or news agencies, some will be paid nothing and some may get a few extra pounds.

Some even claim to be official MOD photographers and then ask so what settings are you using - I mean come on.

At the end of the day its a hobby nothing more, but as said in a previous post you can use this hobby to better yourself if you really want to make a full time career in photography and I does not have to be weddings.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:00 pm

To many people in this world being outraged at other peoples decisions.. Get on with your life and stop whinging!!

Regards

Mark Holt Photography
Cameraless

starbug

Post by starbug » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Just to add an alternative point of view to this debate, I class myself as a semi-professional photographer. The factual definition of semi-professional being "receiving payment for an activity but not relying entirely on it for a living" which is the case as I have had published photos but it is not my main job. I don't class it as "egotistical" as it is a means of selling my photography to try and make more of it than just a hobby. It's hardly a good way of advertising yourself if you refer to your photography as "amateur" which it appears a large proportion of people on here would rather we do. People are more likely to employ someone who has had images published as it shows they have ability. Lets be honest, would you feel more comfortable with an "amateur" brain surgeon performing an operation or a "professional" one??
I do see the point about it being easier to produce a photo nowadays with digital technology etc., but why should that detract from someone's achievements? Quite often a lot of effort might have been made just to get to the location that the photo was taken so a little bit of luck shouldn't been scorned as the photographer may have earned the right to an element of fortune.

Martin

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”