Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Tempest - Britain's new stealth fighter

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Nighthawke

Re: Tempest - Britain's new stealth fighter

Post by Nighthawke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Well said Chris. If that approach to life had prevailed in WWII Britain there would have been a very different outcome.

C24

Post by C24 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Why not continue improving the Typhoon with 2040 avionics and add another 50 units since we have the tooling?
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:41 pm

I believe there is already a life extension for the Typhoon with new avionics, a leading wind edge modification and 15% more powerful engines.

TonyO

Post by TonyO » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:08 am

ChrisCwmbran wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:00 pm
It's negativity like this that holds the UK back (and will result in us getting a much worse Brexit deal than we should have done). People like that should stop worrying about whether 5 year olds might be depressed or transgendered and remember the things that put the Great in Great Britain.
Negativity doesn't hold Brexit back, it is a bunch of useless Tory politicians lying and cheating and telling the British people a fallacy that will send the UK into a death spiral for at least generation just so they can make a quick buck. There is no positive to Brexit, and it will kill the armed forces if it happens.
You want the Aladeen news, or the Aladeen news?

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:53 am

So who would you replace the useless Tory politicians with???. Labour and J. Corbeyn?. Your're having a laugh!!!.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:46 am

TonyO wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:08 am
...just so they can make a quick buck.
I didn't want to make this a post about Brexit, but in answer to your point, the current arrangemernt with the EU benefits a minority of people in the UK very well, whilst doing nothing for the majority of the people of the UK.

Anyway, if we want to continue talking about Brexit there is a thread for that.

The UK has always been a great innovator and it will continue to be so. Not every project is a success but I see no reason at all to assume Tempest won't be, so let's not talk it down.

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:34 am

C24 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:13 pm
Why not continue improving the Typhoon with 2040 avionics and add another 50 units since we have the tooling?
If we took this to its logical conclusion, we'd currently be operating F-4Zs, Hunter FGR23s, Spitfire Mk 78s or Sopwith Supercamels. There is always going to be a time when you need to start with a completely fresh platform to maximise the efficiency of the new gubbins, and the time to start serious design and development is well before the current design reaches the end of its development potential.

I'm all for national pride, but realistically, I think we all know that the current 'Tempest' initiative is just a kick-start to get other nations and manufacturers on board to form a SEPECAT / Panavia / Eurofighter style consortium; hopefully, it might even secure a leading role for the UK in this. I think the 'Tempest' name will survive (for UK assets, at least), and there's a chance that the eventual aircraft may bear some resemblance to the mock-up. Other than that, what you see is probably not what you'll get.... :unsure:

PR9

Post by PR9 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:16 am

We're sending 14 year old Typhoons to RTP to save a few bob.
I'm all for a new British aircraft but where is the magic money tree?
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”