Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Tempest - Britain's new stealth fighter

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Vulcanone

Re: Tempest - Britain's new stealth fighter

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:13 am

Well we got Eurofighter mostly right, despite one country throwing its toys out of the cot and coming up with an alternative. Yes France was originally in on Eurofighter

I'd say best lets wait and see what happens.

Although I suspect sales at DFS et al will be very healthy between now and its first flight.

C24

Post by C24 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:16 am

:Oops:

If only a similar amount of thought & resources were applied to an integrated Public railway and bus transport system we might even become a better than the third rate country that we are.

As a country, we have and do produce some world class kit but for only a short time in our history have we been world class nation. A nation lead by donkeys, triggering article 50 without a plan. What a great idea that was!

The people who propose these great projects would get my vote if they used their own money, not the country's.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Motley

Post by Motley » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Has anyone seen the pictures of the Tempest at RIAT, i saw them the other day but they seem to have dissappeared. Gave a different view of the jet too

Blackjack56

Post by Blackjack56 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:06 am

Surely this news has to be a good thing for our aviation industry,it will secure jobs at BAE for year.,we can build great aircraft when we collaberate with other nations(Tornado,Typhoon) the problem i think will be getting the various airforces to agree on what roles the aircraft should be able to do.if that happens then we will be able to share development costs and who knows it may turn out to be a half decent aircraft.

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 am

Hopefully it will do well & we will produce a great aircraft with potentially sales to other air forces, if we teamed up with Saab I feel it’d be a great!

The gripen has proven to be a success & is a capable platform but best of all has very low running costs! Meaning more hours in the air & less on the ground which is something we should be looking for.

Someoene mentioned the F-22, which is a very capable aircraft & I hope it is similar to that. If we produce anything similar to the F-22 we will be on to a winner.
Last edited by GVLCN on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

filmman

Post by filmman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 am

Perhaps we need to do a Dyson. Like the Mg 42, The Glock; new materials, new design minds to make design/material innovative, cheaper and faster to produce. This does not mean looking after the vested interests of the industry and if we are not up to it we should collaborate with those that can. No more ski jump "Carriers" + gelded VTOL F35s, SA80 rifle, AEW Nimrod, MRA 4 Nimrod, boomless tankers, twin engine P8's - how far is land and what happened to Air Sea Rescue (no doubt followed by Wedgetale). However being realistic things won' improve and Joe Public will continue to be milked for money. The MOD does not need more money, it needs common sense and incentives like a screw reduces future budgets.
Filmman

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:08 pm

The problem is after previous (and the current attempt) at adventures in World Policing....

How much of the UK population actually cares about Defence, aside from the band of folks that sit on here. Admittedly they would if someone actually invaded and start wholesale slaughter....

As for Tempest, well heres hoping its more than just a paper airplane/mock up

One to ponder over the weekend.

PR9

Post by PR9 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:10 am

Could have been much further on with this project if they hadn't cancelled FOAS, which was supposed to be a "sacred cow". :whistle:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:08 am

Freeman Lowell wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:00 am
I think it’s very positive (except for the number of assembly workrs not required). It’s setting out the shop window, so that other countries can come on board our programme / lead rather than us playing second fiddle to others.
Or is that too jingoistic in this PC world?
Freeman
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/airb ... -cnfp6d2c0
The chief executive of Airbus has opened the door to a merger of the aerospace giant’s jet fighter business with that of BAE Systems to create a pan-European military aircraft company with the might to take on America.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/boeing- ... r-project/
Boeing has expressed interest in becoming part of ‘Team Tempest’, the effort to deliver a new British fighter jet.
Leanne Caret, chief executive of Boeing Defense, Space & Security, told Reuters in an interview at the Farnborough Airshow this week that Boeing was watching the situation but that it was premature to make more definitive statements.
“They are still going through own defence reviews and understanding where they’re going. If there is an opportunity where the Boeing Company can participate and play, we will be absolutely honoured and thrilled to be part of that journey.”

Freeman
Sometimes I talk to myself, then we both laugh and laugh.

Redflag17

Post by Redflag17 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:03 pm

wot happened to the project with Turkey to develop the next generation of fighter? This project seem more likely to survive than any agreement with Turkey. Wot if labour ever get into power, scrap it for wind powered dog poo bag manufacturers

Bushpilot

Post by Bushpilot » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:06 pm

I suppose Boeing's interest would be in supplying a replacement for the F-16's that the US has supplied to allied nations. Huge potential market if the 'suits' get it right.
I want 2% of GDP and I want it NOW!

TonyO

Post by TonyO » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Redflag17 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:03 pm
wot happened to the project with Turkey to develop the next generation of fighter? This project seem more likely to survive than any agreement with Turkey. Wot if labour ever get into power, scrap it for wind powered dog poo bag manufacturers
Still happening, but not much news until Turkey chooses an engine.
You want the Aladeen news, or the Aladeen news?

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:07 pm

IMHO, there's more chance of my good self being confirmed as 'Pope Paddy the 1st' than Comrade Corbyn EVER being allowed to control MY country :lol:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

GVLCN

Post by GVLCN » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Took me a while to figure out where I seen this design before, it was at BAe warton going back many years ago.

I think it was just a mock up back then too but looked just like this and it was under going radar cross section testing.

I think the project was publically known as ‘Replica.’ Now many years later it’s popped back up and called ‘Tempest.’

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:48 pm

Remember seeing a picture, on the back of a lorry inverted IIRC?

Dazza37

Post by Dazza37 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:47 am

I wish people would stop saying that Tempest is just Replica renamed etc, it isn't, it looks nothing like Replica! Replica was a LO research tool and Tempest is a mock up of a proposed future aircraft, the two are linked only by the fact that they are both LO designs from the same company...

-Dazza
I rock, you don't...

TonyO

Post by TonyO » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Replica was an extremely useful engineering tool that gave the UK considerable experience in understanding low-observable techniques. Tempest as we know it is a program of technology demonstrations, 50-60 of them to prove technology that could go into a future combat aircraft. Should not judge the UK's approach simply based on the look of a model. There is some serious intent here.
You want the Aladeen news, or the Aladeen news?

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:35 pm

I think you will likely find the reason it was upside down on the truck is they were doing some testing.

Look up Anechoic Chamber..

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Sadly a significant proportion of the posts in this thread seem to be made by the same negative, pessimistic naysayers who write off a project based on a single photograph and other people's inane supposition.

When writing off the UKs ability to innovate aviation wise lets remember the Spitfire. Lets remember who invented the jet engine. Let's remember that along with the French we made Concorde when Boeing failed with the 2707.

It's negativity like this that holds the UK back (and will result in us getting a much worse Brexit deal than we should have done). People like that should stop worrying about whether 5 year olds might be depressed or transgendered and remember the things that put the Great in Great Britain.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”