Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

6 Ex RAF Tristars sold to US company

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
eagle driver

6 Ex RAF Tristars sold to US company

Post by eagle driver » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 pm

Credit to MSF for link
Tempus Applied Solutions Finalizes Acquisition of ex-Royal Air Force Air-to-Air Refueling Aircraft
Transaction consists of six Lockheed L-1011 aircraft

WILLIAMSBURG, Va., March 12, 2018 /PRNewswire/ — Tempus Applied Solutions announced today that the company has finalized the acquisition of six Lockheed L-1011s formerly owned and operated by the Royal Air Force of the United Kingdom. Four of these aircraft are specifically configured for air-to-air refueling operations and the remaining two are configured for passenger and cargo operations only. The aircraft previously served the RAF and NATO.

Company CEO Scott Terry stated, “We are delighted that the aircraft inspections and records reviews were consistent with our expectations thus allowing us to complete this very important transaction. We can now focus our attention on military customers in the USA and NATO that have urgent requirements for air-to-air refueling services.” Terry added, “Now that the deal is closed, our potential customers can better understand our commitment to the aerial refueling mission.”

For more information on Tempus, visit tempus-as.com.

ABOUT TEMPUS APPLIED SOLUTIONS HOLDINGS INC.: Tempus provides design, engineering, systems integration, and flight operations solutions that support critical aviation mission requirements for a variety of customers including the United States Department of Defense, other U.S. government agencies, foreign governments, and select corporations and individuals in the private sector. Our experienced team of professionals provides efficient, economical, and flexible service that responds to the most challenging demands facing the aviation industry today. Our commitment to safety and security has earned us a reputation as one of the most forward-thinking aviation companies worldwide. We are headquartered in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Seahornet1

Re: 6 Ex RAF Tristars sold to US company

Post by Seahornet1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:18 pm

So when the time comes, can we hope for a mass launch from Bruntingthorpe...? :whistle:

Supra

Post by Supra » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:41 am

Can we have at least one at RIAT? :Wow: ;)

the concerned

Post by the concerned » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Are they ready to fly or will they need some work. If so hopefully they can use marshalls aerospace again. Be nice to see them back in Cambridge

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:03 pm

and when they are sold what will the money be squandered on I wonder!?
Comfortably Numb

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 pm

They were bought by GJD so I expect they will have maintained them. As for the money well go ask GJD

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:20 pm

baz1 wrote:and when they are sold what will the money be squandered on I wonder!?
Do you have shares in or part ownership of GJD to be able to talk about them squandering money?

I'd have thought that they'd hold the money as working capital for future activity/opportunities/company development.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:25 pm

I was referring to when we have sold them what will the mod/gov waste the money on , that's plain enough I would have thought!!?
Last edited by baz1 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comfortably Numb

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Glad to see they wont be scrapped and get a new lease of life.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:16 pm

baz1 wrote:I was referring to when we have sold them what will the mod/gov waste the money on , that's plain enough I would have thought!!?
No, not really........ the MoD sold them in 2014 (to GJD), so the money that the MoD got for the sales was then. The money that will change hands now will go to GJD..... hence the correct comment from me.

As to where the money the MoD got in 2014 went, I can only imagine it went into defence funds. As to whether that was squandering or not it seems like you might be an expert to comment.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:35 pm

thanks for clearing that up didn't realise they had already been sold , no not an expert at all by any means.
Comfortably Numb

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:47 pm

baz1 wrote:thanks for clearing that up didn't realise they had already been sold , no not an expert at all by any means.
No worries and thanks, the world of assets and disposals can be an interesting one, and the price achieved may not always be as expected.

Supra

Post by Supra » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:48 pm

baz1 wrote:thanks for clearing that up didn't realise they had already been sold , no not an expert at all by any means.
Quite! :whistle:

22A

Post by 22A » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:14 pm

I recall being told at the time the RAF acquired the Tristars, they didn't really want them, but the KC10 instead. However the Government was preparing British Airways for privatisation and they wanted to get rid of their Tristars.
As a result the RAF was informed / instructed that for the price of four KC10s, they could have six Tristars and a simulator.
Was that simulator included in either the 2014 or the latest sale please? If not, which ATC squadron will grab it? :P

Bluetail

Post by Bluetail » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Interesting news, I just wonder where they are going to get pilots and Flight Engineers from as there haven't been any L-1011s flying for some time now and probably most previous crews are well out of qualifications by now. I also suspect each aircraft will require some sort of extensive flight test schedule introduced due to the length of time they have been sitting at Brunty. I also suspect they may well be moved to St Athan first (as its GJDs new home) to undertake flight testing, St Athan being a far superior airfield to do this sort of stuff rather than Bruntingthorpe. I wonder if they may even be operated out of St Athan if they get some NATO contracts.
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do!!!!
WEBSITE... http://3adpictures.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jem60

Post by jem60 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Bluetail. There is one L1011 flying in the States. Perhaps they could do a lucrative deal on bringing crews up to speed again..

TS010

Post by TS010 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Bluetail wrote:Interesting news, I just wonder where they are going to get pilots and Flight Engineers from as there haven't been any L-1011s flying for some time now and probably most previous crews are well out of qualifications by now. I also suspect each aircraft will require some sort of extensive flight test schedule introduced due to the length of time they have been sitting at Brunty. I also suspect they may well be moved to St Athan first (as its GJDs new home) to undertake flight testing, St Athan being a far superior airfield to do this sort of stuff rather than Bruntingthorpe. I wonder if they may even be operated out of St Athan if they get some NATO contracts.
St Athan's runway is not long enough to operate a fully loaded Tristar.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 am

Hopefully some of these will one day see the air again!!

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 pm

St Athan also no longer has the fuel storage to load these aircraft
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

xm657

Post by xm657 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:02 pm

GJD do not own them. They did for about a day back when they flew in but were resold immediately to a US company. That company went bust I believe and the airframes have changed ownership a few times since.

I really can't see how this new company will be any more successful in finding work for them that the last. And the fact they are the only airworthy Tristars in the world (apart from the sole Orbital launcher) really can't help the costs. They are not the easiest to keep serviceable as the RAF found out!

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”