Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Is the f-22 the only jet with rectangular exhaust ?

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
TREBAX_RAVEN

Is the f-22 the only jet with rectangular exhaust ?

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:25 pm

please correct me if i'm wrong, but am i right in thinking that the f-22 is the only modern jet to have exhaust ?
Tribute to 47 squadron

Thunder

Re: Is the f-22 the only jet with rectangular exhaust ?

Post by Thunder » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 am

Both the F-117 and B-2 have a rectangular exhaust profile, and I suppose you could say that the Harrier had a rounded rectangular shape as well.

turmo

Post by turmo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:43 am

It will probably be the only fast-jet to be built with recangular exhausts, too; it represents late-1980s technology. They were the result of the F-15 S/MTD thrust-vectoring test-bed experiments; subsequently tht was fitted with more efficient circular TV nozzles as the F-15 ACTIVE but that was too late to feed into the ATF program.

There was also one experimental Su-27 with a rectangular nozzle but again that was quickly superceded.

Stroudy

Post by Stroudy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:50 pm

Isnt it something to do with a lower radar return signature as well? Ive heard the Chinese copy (J-20 Dragon) is 'making do' with round nozzles of the AL type engine until a Chinese engine is perfected with a stealthy exhaust shape.. which I took to mean rectangular and with saw tooth edges?

stigorige

Post by stigorige » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:49 pm

As turmo says the Thrust vectoring on the raptor is is only single axis ie up and down. This was limited at the time by computing capacity, the simplest shape to achieve this is rectangular and it allows a simple "chevron" jet pipe outlet.
The Russians particularly have pushed forward with fully 3d vectoring nozzles by independently driving the burner nozzle jacks but have the advantage of much faster computing that develops by leaps and bounds each year.
Interestingly if you photograph a raptor from the front whilst it is exercising its elevators to the full, as the elevators reach maximum climb angle you can see the jet plume pointing upwards!

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”