Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Cleared to land!

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
ChrisCwmbran

Cleared to land!

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 am

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f-35 ... -committee

Seems the F35B is now allowed to land on HMS Queen Elizabeth!

PR9

Re: Cleared to land!

Post by PR9 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:56 am

That flaming door.

Just looks like a giant air brake.
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

filmman

Post by filmman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 am

Exaggerated PR spun announcements are usually symptomatic of doubt -"cutting-edge", "momentum", "game-changing", "unforgettable flight trials". The pilots comments were more balanced.
Getting back to reality, is the ski jump apparent slope an optical distortion or is it that shallow on our ships. Are the USA Marine ships going to have ski jumps and is that what was being used.
After the AAC reduction and it's transfer to the RAF (RAF may not want all of it) is RN aviation going to suffer the same fate as happened before WWII, with the same neglect of marintine aviation. The RAF might dump the carriers for cheaper land based alternatives.
Filmman

Tiger Tim

Post by Tiger Tim » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 am

PR9 wrote:That flaming door.

I was told by a RN pilot working on the project that when the door is open and the British designed fan (Built by R-R) no air hits the door ....even in forward flight. :Wow:

PR9

Post by PR9 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:39 am

Tiger Tim wrote:

I was told by a RN pilot working on the project that when the door is open and the British designed fan (Built by R-R) no air hits the door ....even in forward flight. :Wow:
I understand the door design was changed to create more vertical thrust. It seems to go against the "If it looks right, it'll fly right" principal, but it must work somehow. Still calling it "Dave". :lol:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 am

Tiger Tim wrote:

How can that be? surely it deflects moving air downwards so the fan gets more?
Growing old disgracefully

Fastwalker

Post by Fastwalker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Ghastly Whisper wrote:
Tiger Tim wrote:

How can that be? surely it deflects moving air downwards so the fan gets more?
Just think, F35 travelling forward at 50 knots but the air pulled down by the fan at i guess hundreds of knots. So no air hitting the door in forward flight, thus it will not act as an airbrake.

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:50 pm

aaaaaaah the fog clears thank you

Supra

Post by Supra » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:47 am

Hard to tell if the Government Statement or 'no air hits the door ....even in forward flight' has the higher horse-**** content?

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:13 am

filmman wrote:Exaggerated PR spun announcements are usually symptomatic of doubt -"cutting-edge", "momentum", "game-changing", "unforgettable flight trials". The pilots comments were more balanced.
Getting back to reality, is the ski jump apparent slope an optical distortion or is it that shallow on our ships. Are the USA Marine ships going to have ski jumps and is that what was being used.
After the AAC reduction and it's transfer to the RAF (RAF may not want all of it) is RN aviation going to suffer the same fate as happened before WWII, with the same neglect of marintine aviation. The RAF might dump the carriers for cheaper land based alternatives.
Filmman
No plans as far as I'm aware, in a similar vein to the USMC with Harrier, purely a flat deck.

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Supra wrote:Hard to tell if the Government Statement or 'no air hits the door ....even in forward flight' has the higher horse-**** content?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

C24

Post by C24 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:00 am

Here is a clue about ski jumps

:thumb:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... h-carriers

IMO, these vessels were conceived for long them use with many yet to be designed weapon systems and roles.
They will form part of the US Navy, on loan; used solely as helicopter carriers, then will fly UAVs of various types and roles. Eventually they will be sold off and moved to California to end their days as hotels.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:37 am

Just think, F35 travelling forward at 50 knots but the air pulled down by the fan at i guess hundreds of knots. So no air hitting the door in forward flight, thus it will not act as an airbrake.[/quote]

But if the door is moving forward at 50 knots, even if the fan pulls air in faster there will be partial vacuum behind it trying to pull it backwards?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:01 pm

but surly the air hitting the door is directed down to the fan in the first place
Comfortably Numb

cj9ru

Post by cj9ru » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Having read that now I do agree that there is most definately an element of smoke and mirrors.
25,000 uk jobs? I find that figure highly unlikely for an aircraft built in the US. I often wonder how they arrive at these figures.
Would be very interesting to see a breakdown of exactly what they are....then again that would assume they actually know how they arrived at that figure themselves.

Chris

PR9

Post by PR9 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:14 pm

That figure will take engines into account too. I think we make the rear end? :whistle:
Shame we don't have a final assemble line here, but I suspect cost may be an issue.

Its still an ugly beggar that seems to fly with unicorn dust. :Wow:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:01 pm

IMHO, the ugliest 'aircraft' of all time :@

I would also like to put a welding torch, on full, to the cojones of the SOB who thought it would be ok to christen it 'Lightning' :Wow:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:30 pm

baz1 wrote:but surly the air hitting the door is directed down to the fan in the first place
yes but as I said if the door is moving forward there'll be a partial vacuum behind it, possibly made worse by the fact that the fan is sucking air in faster than the the door is moving through the air. Imagine a block of air in front of the door is pulled down, the surrounding air will be pulled in as nature abhors a vacuum, if that air is faster than the forward motion then the air will be pulled from a wider area, so increasing the induced drag.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Remember, ugly it maybe but not as ugly as the X-32 that lost the original competition.... :whistle:

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:18 pm

It certainly is. I think we all owe the A-7 an apology as the X-32 is really a SLUF!

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”